An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Wedding Dress Orders (For Us Romantics)

InPersonaChriste

Lil'Monster

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1332728747' post='2408503']
I'm an aunt too! I have a little niece but sadly I've never met her. My brother sends my photos though and she is just the cutest kid ever. Doesn't take after my brother at all. Luckily for her, she takes after her mother and she is much prettier than my brother.
[/quote]

You only have one neice? I have 4 nephews and 3 neices.....I have been an Aunt since I was 7 years old.

That is sad :(

[quote name='Lil'Monster' timestamp='1332729234' post='2408507']
You only have one neice? I have 4 nephews and 3 neices.....I have been an Aunt since I was 7 years old.

That is sad :(
[/quote]

It's because my family are all overseas and I can't afford to visit them. I'm saving up though.

Yeah my brothers have been very useless at reproducing. I only have a niece because she was an "accident". Clearly they missed the part where reproduction is a competition in my family. :hehe2:

If I'd been an aunt when I was 7 then my eldest brother would only have been 15, the other would have been 13.

The freaky thing I think is that my youngest brother (who I have also never met) is less than a year older than my niece.

Lil'Monster

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1332729565' post='2408512']
It's because my family are all overseas and I can't afford to visit them. I'm saving up though.

Yeah my brothers have been very useless at reproducing. I only have a niece because she was an "accident". Clearly they missed the part where reproduction is a competition in my family. :hehe2:

If I'd been an aunt when I was 7 then my eldest brother would only have been 15, the other would have been 13.

The freaky thing I think is that my youngest brother (who I have also never met) is less than a year older than my niece.
[/quote]

Wow thats weird!!

Only two of my bros have kids..one has 4 kids and the other has 3 kids.......so yeah

Pax_et bonum

[img]http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/521638_397316103629698_100000539352602_1394745_151938408_a.jpg[/img]

Joan Marie Wandel

You say that you aren't gonna be a nun but guess what it's not up to you. It's in God's hands and I always said I was going to marry a young catholic man and have kids. But right now I'm discerning becoming a nun and it just feels so right. My advice would be don't assume you will marrry

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='Joan Marie Wandel' timestamp='1332782828' post='2408772']
You say that you aren't gonna be a nun but guess what it's not up to you. It's in God's hands and I always said I was going to marry a young catholic man and have kids. But right now I'm discerning becoming a nun and it just feels so right. My advice would be don't assume you will marrry
[/quote]
Well, you can't really say that until you know someone for real. I know for a fact that Lil'Mon is keeping her heart open, just like the rest of us are. Just as we feel a pull and a call towards the religious religious life, some people feel that same way about the sacrament of marriage. I know multiple people who feel this way but are open to whatever God calls them to be.

Blessings,
FCC

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1332799435' post='2408885']
Well, you can't really say that until you know someone for real. I know for a fact that Lil'Mon is keeping her heart open, just like the rest of us are. Just as we feel a pull and a call towards the religious religious life, some people feel that same way about the sacrament of marriage. I know multiple people who feel this way but are open to whatever God calls them to be.

Blessings,
FCC
[/quote]

Props.

StayingFaithful

I am new to responding (asked a question once but do not think I got a reply because I do not really know where to look for it). Anyway, just in case anyone is wondering, the Carmelite Nuns in San Francisco at the Carmel of Cristo Rey do wear the wedding dress but not a wedding ring.

truthfinder

[quote name='StayingFaithful' timestamp='1332906109' post='2409512']
I am new to responding (asked a question once but do not think I got a reply because I do not really know where to look for it). Anyway, just in case anyone is wondering, the Carmelite Nuns in San Francisco at the Carmel of Cristo Rey do wear the wedding dress but not a wedding ring.
[/quote]

I believe most Discalced Carmelites do not wear a ring, because they see their black veil as the same sort of symbol.

• 3 weeks later...
InPersonaChriste

[img]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxm1vdj8Yy1r11k11o4_400.jpg[/img]
Redemptorists

Edited by InPersonaChriste

maximillion

I'll say!!!!

We didn't wear a wedding dress ( they were all in storage in the attics, I found them one day) as it went out after V2.

Many orders that used to do this don't do it any more; I can understand because of the expense and/or how hard it was for those who didn't perservere after the novitiate, but it still is a beautiful symbol. I love that the Poor Clares retain it - because it so totally fits with St. Clare's 'eloping' with God on Palm Sunday 1212!

That wedding dress is pure late Victorian / Edwardian... and it was gorgious. I bet it was her mother's or her sister's.....

It would have been even more dramatic had it been in color (but not yet invented!) because those habits are red and blue!

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_zjKxCA1O-D0/TDIRCfEcVDI/AAAAAAAACwU/CWG3o7B3LDA/s400/DSC09308.jpg[/img]

• 1 month later...

i think this thread is so beautiful! I really hope I join a community that continues this practice-I am one of those girls that thought about my wedding dress A LOT. I watched Say Yes to the Dress religiously before I discerned my vocation, so that would be so special to have that bridal moment even if you aren't a typical bride!