An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Wedding Dress Orders (For Us Romantics)

InPersonaChriste

Yes.  I definitely mean the photos that DymphnaMarie posted above, post #293.  They look bored to tears! LOL! and unhappy!  Maybe they are unhappy because they are bored!  Hey, they would have been attending the Latin Mass! :) 

she_who_is_not

VL3W6382.jpg

VL3W6424.jpg

Every time I see these photos, I think that girl is Jen Pringle from Anne of Avonlea.

TheresaThoma

I think it general it was less common to smile in pictures at that time, especially for such a serious solemn occasion. I recently went through some old family potraits and for formal pictures not many people smiled. 

Little Flower

I think I would rather not wear a wedding dress than an ugly one :| but like seriously... most of these are totally awful imho. Not that I would want to wear skimpy strapless, but I would at least want to look attractive LOL but of course... thats not poverty. So honestly I think I would rather join a community without it. Especially since it seems more faithful to the Pope and stuff, since one of 'em asked the communities to stop doing it

Chiquitunga

So honestly I think I would rather join a community without it. Especially since it seems more faithful to the Pope and stuff, since one of 'em asked the communities to stop doing it

Huh? :huh: Where'd you hear that? I don't think that is true. Plenty of communities all over the world do this that are 100% faithful to the Pope - all the Poor Clare Colettines in the US for instance.

Chiquitunga

tumblr_lxm24xU9HF1r11k11o3_500.jpg

tumblr_lxm24xU9HF1r11k11o8_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_lxm24xU9HF1r11k11o1_r1_500.jpg

tumblr_lxm24xU9HF1r11k11o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_lxm24xU9HF1r11k11o7_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_lxm24xU9HF1r11k11o9_r1_500.jpg

I think it general it was less common to smile in pictures at that time, especially for such a serious solemn occasion. I recently went through some old family potraits and for formal pictures not many people smiled. 

I think this must be a major factor in this. Also they might have been listening to a serious part of a sermon or exhortation or something the priest or Superior was giving. I do see a few smiles there though :)

Chiquitunga

I have never seen this picture of Blessed Elizabeth so large and clear before!

elisab%20sposa.jpg

This is from a site of Discalced Carmelites in Sicily ~ http://www.carmelosicilia.it/mostra%20fotografica%202.htm It is picture # 54 here. They did a nice job adapting the lighting. So great to see this!

Blessed Elizabeth of the Trinity, OCD (from Light Love Life)

sclothingcn9.jpg

To be the Bride of Christ ~ http://carmelourladysdovecote.wordpress.com/2012/10/29/bl-elizabeth-of-the-trinitys-to-be-the-mystical-bride-of-christ/  :heart:

dymphnamaria

I think this must be a major factor in this. Also they might have been listening to a serious part of a sermon or exhortation or something the priest or Superior was giving. I do see a few smiles there though :)

Might as well

VeniJesuAmorMi

At the Carmelite monastery I was in, the elderly Sister who was there (she had been in one of the Carmels before that use the wedding dress, then she got sent to a new foundation. Where I was though they don't have this custom) but I remember when she had talked about the day of her clothing and about the wedding dress she said so happily, "I wore it once for Jesus, and then never again." It made me think, and still does, of the beauty this custom has. I can imagine how special it must be for the Sister who is standing there at the Altar in the wedding dress and it is Jesus there Who she is given herself to and praying, hopefully, that she will be adorned interiorly with the beauty of the virtues and to be most pleasing to her Divine Spouse.

I hav very, very old family pictures ( think sepia, black and white, daguerrotype) on the walls of my office.  They are my family who are German/French - I've got some of my great, great, great grandparents (I am 65, so figure out the dates!).  I also have pictures of my husband's family take in Mexico.  We're talking all kinds of posed, formal photos - First Communion, Confirmation, Weddings --- everyone looks like they drank spoiled milk :)  Not even a hint of a grin! What a bunch of sour pusses !  I think that during the time period these photos were taken it was just the custom to look solemn. I once asked my grandmother about this before she died and she confirmed my suspicion that it was indeed the custom of the time.  Smiles and frivolity were reserved for behind closed doors with the family.

Okay, no grimaces here    :bananarap:  :bananarap:  :bananarap:  :bananarap:

I am not a big fan of the wedding dress.  I know a lot of young ladies here are so I certainly mean no offense.  I understand the "bridal union" in a much more Eastern monastic way wherein the only reference to "bride" is between Christ and the soul, but the word "spouse" is not used.  I have argued that we in the West often times get too dreamy with the "wedding" symbolism and therefore make this union between Christ and the soul far too "human" bordering on fantasy.  This is just my opinion, however. 

Our daughter, Emma Berry, has told us since Vatican II the investiture ceremony has been a private one, we are not even allowed to be there. She is with the Poor Clares of our Lady of Guadalupe in Roswell, NM. We are so sad. Does anyone else know about this? I was so looking forward to it. Just another sacrifice to offer our Lord in reparation for the great sins committed against His Most Sacred Heart...

Poor Clares

018.jpg

Sister Marie

You know you can find almost anything on google but there are still many parts of religious life google still doesn't have the answer for.

I just searched for a few minutes because I remember very well going through a book that outlined how reception or investiture, profession of temporary vows, and profession of perpetual vows are supposed to be celebrated liturgically.  I can't find it online, probably because its older.  It might be the book "Rites of Religious Profession: Pastoral Introduction and Complete Text (1989)" but I just don't remember exactly.  While 1989 is out dated for the world, its pretty current for the Church, haha.  There might be another more primary source, for these norms but I don't remember anymore from my novitiate days!

Anyway, what I remember being taught was that reception to the novitiate or investiture was a private ceremony because it is the rite of initiation into the congregation.  No public promises or vows are made and the focus of that rite is on the individual sister or sisters becoming a part of the community.  It is not supposed to be celebrated within the Eucharistic Liturgy.  In my community, all sisters were invited to the ceremony which took place in our chapel and included a liturgy of the word, a formal dialogue, and an exhortation from the general superior.  Afterwards, the sisters and our families, who were not at the actual ceremony, were able to gather in the dining room for light refreshments.    

First profession of vows is a public ceremony because religious life is defined by the public vows.  However, first profession is still supposed to be more subdued because it is not a final commitment.  Final vows are to be celebrated publicly as well but with more solemnity.  

These instructions look different in different congregations based on traditions and way of life but these are the general norms for the celebrations as I was taught them.  I'll keep looking for the actual text, partly because it is bothering me that I can't find it!  I'll update if I find more... maybe someone else knows where to look...

I'm sure its difficult for you to be away from your daughter.  Please know of my prayers for you.

OnlySunshine

Our daughter, Emma Berry, has told us since Vatican II the investiture ceremony has been a private one, we are not even allowed to be there. She is with the Poor Clares of our Lady of Guadalupe in Roswell, NM. We are so sad. Does anyone else know about this? I was so looking forward to it. Just another sacrifice to offer our Lord in reparation for the great sins committed against His Most Sacred Heart...

I believe the reasoning applied to the Poor Clares is that St. Clare was united to Christ at night surrounded only by St. Francis and his companions.  Of course, she had run away from home since her uncle was determined to see her in an arranged marriage but she wouldn't have it.  It depends on which PCC order it is because Rockford allows visitors to see the new novice after she is invested.