An Old School Catholic Message Board

Trousseau For Carmel - What To Bring - Suggestions Welcome!

Aya Sophia

TRUSSEAU FOR CARMEL (list of stuff I plan to bring) - Comments, ideas, suggestions welcome!

After a welcome by Our Mother and the community, the postulant's Angel takes possy to her cell with her bags. Possy unpacks while Angel has a first look and then Our Mother comes and confirms what may be used and what not. What is not used is put back in the bags and the bags are stored. The list below consists mostly of items I brought last year but has some additional things which may or may not pass inspection!

CLOTHING (some of this is only for postulancy - goes away/is replaced with others things after taking the habit)
[i]INDOOR[/i]
Postulant Veils – white/cream
Hat – soft, light or dark, for sleeping and going to bath/shower
Bathrobe – blk/charcoal/brwn
Nightgowns – warm, long sleeve
Turtleneck tops – white/cream
Pullover or Cardigan Sweaters – black, varying weights & warmth
Long U-Wear – top & bottom
U-pantaloons & Bras – white/cream, sports & other
Socks & Leg Warmers – blk/charcoal/brwn
Shoes - 2 pairs black, closed, sturdy, roomy enough for multiple pares socks, not too clunky so easy to get up and down from kneeling position
[i]OUTDOOR[/i]
Hood/tube – blk/charcoal/brwn
Coat – dark, warm for winter, big enough for multiple layers
Gloves – blk/charcoal/brwn, warm, rugged, for winter, (or, lighter with separate liners)
Gloves – for gardening
Boots – blk/charcoal/brwn, semi-rugged, for outdoors in winter (something warmer, sturdier than Wellingtons on offer at the mon)

PERS HYGIENE (you can come with your supply currently in use and use it up before starting on monastery-issued stuff)
Stick Deodorant
Dental - brushes, toothpaste, floss (waxed), picks, mouthwash
Soap
“Chapstick”
Nail clippers & file
Hairbrush
Laundry bag – for transporting laundry to the wash
Canvas tote – small (for carrying things to shower/bath)

DEVOTIONAL/FOR PRAYER
Crucifix
Rosaries – 1 for use/pocket, 1 for hanging over holy water font in cell
Images for hanging on wall – 3 or less (images already on wall when you arrive but if you have brought others you prefer you may use them instead, assuming they have passed inspection!)
Prayer stool
Prayer Cards
A few printed book sections and/or hand-copied quotes (including “Credo”, all versions)

FOR DESK & ART WORK - your cell is supplied with what’s called a “carton”, which is a large sort of heavy paper folder or file that the Sisters make, that you close with a tie at the top – the carton contains your supply of “office materials” – paper & envelopes, a few pencils and pens (mine contained a curious eraser that had a popular image of the Lord on it and said “Jesus [i]hearts[/i] you” – I learned much later that this was not a standard issue eraser but had been left by a previous tenant!) Perhaps one may, as with personal hygiene prods, come with a supply of stationery currently in use and use this up (if it has passed inspection, of course).
Colored Pencils (Derwent)
Pencil sharpener
Rubber bands
Eraser heads
Visconti Book of Hours

FOR GARDEN
Pronged weeder
Gloves

FOR KITCHEN
Easy Basics Cookbook
Veg peeler w/rubber handle
Measuring cups & spoons (US)

BOOKS
Remains of my library of religious/spiritual/theological works to be shipped later and added to monastery library

OTHER
Flashlight – small, for nighttime in cell (cannot turn on light at night and takes a while to get used to “moving about” in the dark)

Tweezers.

Oh and I got a wind up/dynamo torch which proved worth its weight in gold as it means you never run out of batteries at the worst moment.

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1319027461' post='2323610']
Oh and I got a wind up/dynamo torch which proved worth its weight in gold as it means you never run out of batteries at the worst moment.
[/quote]

Took me a minute to remember that "torch" means "flashlight" in British, as I sort of imagined you with a big flaming stick!

Which seemed ill-advised, really.

brandelynmarie

Question, I :love: wearing Crocs. Are they generally allowed in monasteries?

[img]http://www.fitflopcrocshop.co.uk/Images/crocs_bistro_blk_l.jpg[/img]

[size=2](But I am willing to give them up if I have to!)[/size]

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1319028450' post='2323618']
Question, I :love: wearing Crocs. Are they generally allowed in monasteries?

[img]http://www.fitflopcrocshop.co.uk/Images/crocs_bistro_blk_l.jpg[/img]

[size=2](But I am willing to give them up if I have to!)[/size]
[/quote]

Some sisters at NH do, and when I visited Woodchester Poor Clares (now amalgamated) they [i]all[/i] had matching furlined Crocs that one of their families had bought as Xmas presents! I fully intend keeping mine for dry weather gardening - as they are bright pink they probably wouldn't go down well for choir :hehe2:

brandelynmarie

Yays! :bounce: It was just a thought I had.. :blush:

Oh & I am happy to see chapstick. That & tweezers. Very good! :hehe2:

Edited by brandelynmarie

[i]Fur-lined[/i] crocs?? Who knew . . . Great suggestion about wind-up torch/flashlight - is "dynamo" the name of a brand? Or part of the description of this type of torch/fl?

P.S. I'm sure plain old green, no-fur crocs would be fine at KE but am partial to those monastery-issue Wellys for garden work (Note: these do [i]not[/i] fill the bill for winter walks in the cold and snow! Shopping now for some boots for that.)

[quote name='Aya Sophia' timestamp='1319032623' post='2323636']
[i]Fur-lined[/i] crocs?? Who knew . . . Great suggestion about wind-up torch/flashlight - is "dynamo" the name of a brand? Or part of the description of this type of torch/fl?
[/quote]

They are really fleece-lined, not fur-lined, and the lining is removable for laundering. I would certainly think that two pair, black, one lined, and one not, would be extremely useful, indoors and out.

As to the wind-up torch, I think you would find it at any DIY or hardware store; possibly even at Boots [drugstore chain for non-Brits] that has a housewares section; I've even seen them in supermarkets.

As far as flashlights go, I've seen some that don't ever need batteries. You just shake them up and down to charge whatever's inside. I bought some for my grandchildren about 2 years back, but I don't remember where I found them. If you look online I'm sure you can fine them.

Thanks, Antigonos - should have known it would "fleece" and not "fur"! Putting ideas in my head now . .

FutureSis2009 - interesting ques about pics of family/friends - I didn't bring any last time because I assumed* I ought not but then, during "license" week, during the Christmas and Easter Octaves, when we schedule visits in eachother's cells (two Sisters visit a third in her cell) this is exactly what the Sisters share! So, this time I will bring some (pulling together an approp assortment is still on my "not yet done" list).

*Actually, I assumed quite a lot, trying to be "mortified" and not ask too many questions or make requests of various kinds in advance of entering. In theory, I still prefer doing it this way, just taking whatever comes and accepting/embracing the whole of Carmel but (as my own experience tells me) this is not always possible.