An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carmelite Live In

Strictlyinkblot

Strictlyinkblot

Almost time for my live in in Quidenham. :punk: :dance4: :dance6: :dance2: :dance3:

Can you tell I'm a little excited? Monday week I fly off. So, five more shifts. I just hope I'm going to be able to drag myself out of bed at 05:30. Hmmm, could be a problem.

I'm not bringing my laptop but I will have my mobile in case my parents need to get hold of me, on silent obv. I don't think the nuns would appreciate the dulcet tones of the Nokia ringtone. :rules: :getaclue:

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Strictlyinkblot' timestamp='1319156867' post='2324433']
Almost time for my live in in Quidenham. :punk: :dance4: :dance6: :dance2: :dance3:

Can you tell I'm a little excited? Monday week I fly off. So, five more shifts. I just hope I'm going to be able to drag myself out of bed at 05:30. Hmmm, could be a problem.

I'm not bringing my laptop but I will have my mobile in case my parents need to get hold of me, on silent obv. I don't think the nuns would appreciate the dulcet tones of the Nokia ringtone. :rules: :getaclue:
[/quote]

You make me laugh. At one of the Carmels where I was, the Prioress had a cell phone in her pocket and it went off during the Office. She left quietly but it was a bit of a surprise - so I hope you remember to turn yours on silent when you go to Office.

I even remember one Mass being done by a Bishop in the US and he must have forgotten that he had a phone in his pocket because it started to ring during the Consecration!!! :shock: He ignored it until he was finished and then shut it off, but it was a bit of a distraction! I hate it when I forget to turn it off --- so remind youself!

I will keep you in prayers during your time at Q - I think it is so wonderful that you are going there. Enjoy yourself and come back and let us all know how it went. It's funny how intertwined all our lives are.. with some having been in one convent before while others are going to that same convent - especially right now with you going to Q and Aya Sophia going to KE!! God is truly wonderful the way He works.

brandelynmarie

[quote name='Strictlyinkblot' timestamp='1319156867' post='2324433']
. I don't think the nuns would appreciate the dulcet tones of the Nokia ringtone. :rules: :getaclue:
[/quote]

:mobile:

brandelynmarie

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1319157194' post='2324436']

It's funny how intertwined all our lives are.. with some having been in one convent before while others are going to that same convent - especially right now with you going to Q and Aya Sophia going to KE!! God is truly wonderful the way He works.
[/quote]

It's amazing what a blessing VS on PM is! :love:

Strictlyinkblot

You make me laugh. At one of the Carmels where I was, the Prioress had a cell phone in her pocket and it went off during the Office. She left quietly but it was a bit of a surprise - so I hope you remember to turn yours on silent when you go to Office.

I even remember one Mass being done by a Bishop in the US and he must have forgotten that he had a phone in his pocket because it started to ring during the Consecration!!! :shock: He ignored it until he was finished and then shut it off, but it was a bit of a distraction! I hate it when I forget to turn it off --- so remind youself!

I will keep you in prayers during your time at Q - I think it is so wonderful that you are going there. Enjoy yourself and come back and let us all know how it went. It's funny how intertwined all our lives are.. with some having been in one convent before while others are going to that same convent - especially right now with you going to Q and Aya Sophia going to KE!! God is truly wonderful the way He works.
[/quote]

Well, I was in the parlour with the sub-prioress? first counsellor?,( not sure of her title but she was in charge in place of the prioress) in Notting Hill she had the house phone in her pocket and it kept going off which I thought was quite funny. Her greeting 'Deo gratias' was getting more and more strained with each call.

I'm honoured that they're letting me stay within the enclosure for over a week when they haven't met me before.

In all seriousness, give your parents the monastery number. There is one bush in the garden you gan get a signal behind, and down by the mere, and very occasionally if you hang out of your cell window, but that would depend where you are put. Its improved over the last couple of years, but for both getting a proper experience and reassurance, give your dad the number then turn yours off.

Oh, is someone meeting you off the train? If its not arranged, do ask - I got a taxi my first visit after they sent me away and it cost over £20!!!!!!

The ones at NH are an intercom and [i]invariably[/i] go when a sister is in the parlour, though I can well imagine Sr Patricia of the Heart of Mary getting irritated - she is sweet as sugar but somehow I would hate to cross her.

NovemberFourth

How gloriously exciting! Prayers for you!

Thanks to FaithCecilia I now have visions of you running frantically around the bushes in the gardens and hanging out of convent windows!

I love Carmel and Carmelites as I used to work for them and found them all wonderful. :)

Strictlyinkblot

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1319180113' post='2324542']
In all seriousness, give your parents the monastery number. There is one bush in the garden you gan get a signal behind, and down by the mere, and very occasionally if you hang out of your cell window, but that would depend where you are put. Its improved over the last couple of years, but for both getting a proper experience and reassurance, give your dad the number then turn yours off.

Oh, is someone meeting you off the train? If its not arranged, do ask - I got a taxi my first visit after they sent me away and it cost over £20!!!!!!

The ones at NH are an intercom and [i]invariably[/i] go when a sister is in the parlour, though I can well imagine Sr Patricia of the Heart of Mary getting irritated - she is sweet as sugar but somehow I would hate to cross her.
[/quote]

I suppose for me the phone is a bit of a safety blanket. Not that I actually call that many people on it and I don't text often. I just assumed it would work. In my last live in I left it in my cell and just checked it once a day. I'll give them the number of the monastery.

Someone is meeting me off the train. I should get there just before vespers. If not I'll just sit in the public chapel until they're finished.

I thought Sr. P. was lovely but so... not intimidating, she was the furthest thing from that. Formidable, maybe but quite wonderful. She let me talk for ages.

i<3franciscans

[/quote]

Yes remember to turn your phone off! When I was on a retreat during Pentecost last year I forgot to turn my phone off and it ring in the middle of the adoration and singing and night prayer. The first time I ignored it because I had just gotten the phone and was not quite sure how to really work it, but the second time I had to leave. Of course when I called home to see why they had called twice it turned out they had just butt dialed me twice. <_< :getaclue: rotfl Go figure right?!?!?

Any-who, have a wonderful time!! I am so excited for you! :) You are in my prayers.

Strictlyinkblot

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1319195517' post='2324580']

Yes remember to turn your phone off! When I was on a retreat during Pentecost last year I forgot to turn my phone off and it ring in the middle of the adoration and singing and night prayer. The first time I ignored it because I had just gotten the phone and was not quite sure how to really work it, but the second time I had to leave. Of course when I called home to see why they had called twice it turned out they had just butt dialed me twice. <_< :getaclue: rotfl Go figure right?!?!?

Any-who, have a wonderful time!! I am so excited for you! :) You are in my prayers.
[/quote]

That reminds me of the time I went on a pilgrimage to Fatima with a very conservative group complete with latin mass. We were having a holy hour in the tiny chapel in the hotel. I of course came in late just as the priest was about to expose the Blessed Sacrament. I squashed in and knelt down. Just as the priest said 'Let us have silence' I dropped the heavy metal hotel key on the tiled floor. It went 'Bong' really really loudly. I dropped my eyes and attempted to look prayerful as several of the ladies looked around and glared.

Ten more days before I go

[quote name='Strictlyinkblot' timestamp='1319233870' post='2324860']

That reminds me of the time I went on a pilgrimage to Fatima with a very conservative group complete with latin mass. We were having a holy hour in the tiny chapel in the hotel. I of course came in late just as the priest was about to expose the Blessed Sacrament. I squashed in and knelt down. Just as the priest said 'Let us have silence' I dropped the heavy metal hotel key on the tiled floor. It went 'Bong' really really loudly. I dropped my eyes and attempted to look prayerful as several of the ladies looked around and glared.

Ten more days before I go
[/quote]

Oh no! rotfl

Strictlyinkblot

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1319233965' post='2324863']

Oh no! rotfl
[/quote]

The priest thought it was hilarious, although he didn't say anything until afterwards. He approached me near the end of the retreat and asked me if I was considering religious life. I said yes but at that stage I'd barely thought about it (many, many years ago). He said that I'd make a good carmelite. Based on what I'm not sure.