An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carmelite Live In

Strictlyinkblot

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Strictlyinkblot' timestamp='1319156867' post='2324433']
Almost time for my live in in Quidenham. :punk: :dance4: :dance6: :dance2: :dance3:

Can you tell I'm a little excited? Monday week I fly off. So, five more shifts. I just hope I'm going to be able to drag myself out of bed at 05:30. Hmmm, could be a problem.

[/quote]

I just read this again and it brings up a comment from me because I am wondering the same thing - how will I ever get up at 5.30am again when I go to Colwich? I work shifts right now, and almost all of them are evening and late shifts, so I don't get to bed until way after midnight and then have to sleep later the next day. My biological clock is now so turned around that I am tired all the time, and it is almost penance to have to get up for 8.30am Mass! (our Masses change time so sometimes it is later and that's not so bad - but the early ones kill me)

I am sure though that when I am going to bed at a reasonable time again, the early mornings won't be so bad. And it does help to have a lot of sisters all getting up at the same time! :P

I am very excited for you - so hurry back and let us know how it went... it is almost as good as thinking about my own live-in next year.

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1319244064' post='2324898']

I just read this again and it brings up a comment from me because I am wondering the same thing - how will I ever get up at 5.30am again when I go to Colwich? I work shifts right now, and almost all of them are evening and late shifts, so I don't get to bed until way after midnight and then have to sleep later the next day. My biological clock is now so turned around that I am tired all the time, and it is almost penance to have to get up for 8.30am Mass! (our Masses change time so sometimes it is later and that's not so bad - but the early ones kill me)

I am sure though that when I am going to bed at a reasonable time again, the early mornings won't be so bad. And it does help to have a lot of sisters all getting up at the same time! :P

I am very excited for you - so hurry back and let us know how it went... it is almost as good as thinking about my own live-in next year.
[/quote]

I find that when my motives are not strong enough, I try to make them really hard to ignore, praying that you will wake up on time is a huge thing for me, and also threatening myself with something usually works... But that is just me.

I usually get up at 4:30 but before I go to bed I obsessively check my alarm "just to make sure." Oversleeping is the WORST! ...and it's still hard when you go to bed early (as I'm sure you know :) ).

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Sister Marie' timestamp='1319245381' post='2324913']
I usually get up at 4:30 but before I go to bed I obsessively check my alarm "just to make sure." Oversleeping is the WORST! ...and it's still hard when you go to bed early (as I'm sure you know :) ).
[/quote]

Well, I've never been a 'morning person' and I love staying up late, but it is a little easier for me to get up early if I can get to bed early (and sleep well which isn't always possible) and then to know I am heading for choir to pray the Office with others - all that little stuff helps.

But I would still like to start my day aroudn 10am! :P

brandelynmarie

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1319244064' post='2324898']

[/quote]
[quote name='Sister Marie' timestamp='1319245381' post='2324913']
[/quote]
[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1319248064' post='2324927']

Well, I've never been a 'morning person' and I love staying up late, but it is a little easier for me to get up early if I can get to bed early (and sleep well which isn't always possible) and then to know I am heading for choir to pray the Office with others - all that little stuff helps.

[/quote]

Oh! I hear you guys! I work nights & even after being off for 3 weeks, I did not lose the knack of being up all night. I have been told that it can take 6 months to a year before one feels that one can sleep well at night & get up early. (I'm hoping it happens a little faster with the monastery schedule!) The nuns do get up for an hour of prayer at night (several nights a week, I think!) & that may actually be easier for me than not! :hehe2:

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1319248064' post='2324927']

[/quote]

Same here! I am such a night owl! :hehe2:

AccountDeleted

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1319248643' post='2324935']

Oh! I hear you guys! I work nights & even after being off for 3 weeks, I did not lose the knack of being up all night. I have been told that it can take 6 months to a year before one feels that one can sleep well at night & get up early. (I'm hoping it happens a little faster with the monastery schedule!) The nuns do get up for an hour of prayer at night (several nights a week, I think!) & that may actually be easier for me than not! :hehe2:
[/quote]

Wow - this is new from when I was there (2009) - they never got up during the night then - unless it was a special vigil for something like Easter or Christmas. It used to be that once we were in bed - no one even left their cells unless they absoutely had to - we used chamber pots in the cells and emptied them in the morning - unless a toilet run was absolutely necessary and was done using a flashlight - no lights on. I'm glad I didn't have to get up in the middle of the night! :)

AccountDeleted

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1319250486' post='2324952']
:oops: I meant the Dominican sisters I am discerning with, I don't think Carmelites have the adoring rosary... :blush: :hehe:
[/quote]

No, my mistake. I think I was thinking of AS's upcoming re-entry into KE and was sure we didn't do it there, but now I see what you mean -- oops -- my bad! :P

[quote name='LadyOfSorrows' timestamp='1319250843' post='2324957']
A carmelite live-in! I wish my Carmel had a live-in, Prayers for you!
[/quote]

Please say "hello" to Mother Miriam for me. I talked to her from Sept. 2009 to March 2010. :)

Strictlyinkblot

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1319252444' post='2324977']

Please say "hello" to Mother Miriam for me. I talked to her from Sept. 2009 to March 2010. :)
[/quote]

Will do.

Brandelynnmarie and Nunsense I hear you. I'm usually a night owl any way and having been on nights for seven months getting up at 05:30 is going to be interesting. I found when I did my live in about four years ago, and even when I just follow the monastic prayer schedule on retreats I get very tired. I just hope I don't snore too loudly during silent prayer time. That could be embarrassing.

[quote name='Strictlyinkblot' timestamp='1319268518' post='2325058']

Will do.

Brandelynnmarie and Nunsense I hear you. I'm usually a night owl any way and having been on nights for seven months getting up at 05:30 is going to be interesting. I found when I did my live in about four years ago, and even when I just follow the monastic prayer schedule on retreats I get very tired. I just hope I don't snore too loudly during silent prayer time. That could be embarrassing.
[/quote]

Sorry! I was talking to [b]LadyOfSorrows[/b] who is discerning with the monastery I was in contact for 6 months. :blush: :)

Strictlyinkblot

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1319270897' post='2325066']

Sorry! I was talking to [b]LadyOfSorrows[/b] who is discerning with the monastery I was in contact for 6 months. :blush: :)
[/quote]

No probs, I did wonder

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1319248643' post='2324935']

[/quote]

No, it is liable to make you even more tired, as you may find it impossible to get back to sleep. During almost all my nursing career, beginning in 1967, I worked permanent night shift, and even today, 8 years after I began a day job, I find that if I am awake after 11 p.m. my body shifts to "night hours" and it is very difficult to get to sleep until 3 or 4 a.m.