An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carmelite Live In

Strictlyinkblot

AccountDeleted

I can wake up in the middle of the night and go back to sleep easily. The hard part for me is getting up early in the morning - I don't know why but that is the time I sleep best!

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1319308111' post='2325231']
:o Uh oh! I wonder why that is so... :think:.
[/quote]

It's all about your circadian rhythms becoming switched, so that you are awake at night, and drowsy/sleepy in daytime.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Antigonos' timestamp='1319363762' post='2325556']

It's all about your circadian rhythms becoming switched, so that you are awake at night, and drowsy/sleepy in daytime.
[/quote]

I heard that taking melatonin tablets can help - but of course, check with a doctor first.

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1319364132' post='2325560']

I heard that taking melatonin tablets can help - but of course, check with a doctor first.
[/quote]

I would caution others, too. My ARNP advised me to take Melatonin 1mg for my Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome (DSPS), but both times I took it, it caused my blood pressure to drop really low and made feel like I was drugged the next day. All indications were that it was not supposed to do this as my ARNP said it was "natural" so did not cause next-day grogginess. I will never take that stuff again. :(

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

Strictly, you may well be broken in gently, so dont worry on the sleep. One word of advice - if you are asked if you would like an early night, the answer is yes regardless of how you feel. Its a bit of a test to see how you might be with obedience.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1319364749' post='2325565']

I would caution others, too. My ARNP advised me to take Melatonin 1mg for my Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome (DSPS), but both times I took it, it caused my blood pressure to drop really low and made feel like I was drugged the next day. All indications were that it was not supposed to do this as my ARNP said it was "natural" so did not cause next-day grogginess. I will never take that stuff again. :(
[/quote]

This brings up a good point - that we are all different in our physical make-up and tolerance for substances. In Perth, the Novice Mistress was a real proponent of natural rememdies as opposed to medical ones, so she insisted that I try taking a herbal remedy for menopause symptoms instead of letting me go to the doctor. I had such a bad reaction to them that by the time I got to the doctor, my BP was over 200! The doctor was appalled that anyone would prescribe something for someone without medical consultation and observation of symptoms. After that, I think the NM kept her herbal cures to herself!

I am not saying that these things won't work for someone - only that we are all different and as MM points out, melatonin had a bad reaction on her. I have never personally tried it, so it is good to have a warning about it - I would certainly make sure that I had proper medical attention before trying anything new now.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1319365223' post='2325568']
Strictly, you may well be broken in gently, so dont worry on the sleep. One word of advice - if you are asked if you would like an early night, the answer is yes regardless of how you feel. Its a bit of a test to see how you might be with obedience.
[/quote]

Oh yes faith! Take those early nights as often as you can! It is a real charity to be offered them, even though the night offices are beautiful, be humble enough to accept the gift that is being offered. The life of a nun is a seven day a week thing - 24 hours a day living and working with the same people (especially in a cloister) so little things like this are definitely to be appreciated!

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1319365365' post='2325569']

This brings up a good point - that we are all different in our physical make-up and tolerance for substances. In Perth, the Novice Mistress was a real proponent of natural rememdies as opposed to medical ones, so she insisted that I try taking a herbal remedy for menopause symptoms instead of letting me go to the doctor. I had such a bad reaction to them that by the time I got to the doctor, my BP was over 200! The doctor was appalled that anyone would prescribe something for someone without medical consultation and observation of symptoms. After that, I think the NM kept her herbal cures to herself!

I am not saying that these things won't work for someone - only that we are all different and as MM points out, melatonin had a bad reaction on her. I have never personally tried it, so it is good to have a warning about it - I would certainly make sure that I had proper medical attention before trying anything new now.
[/quote]

I've since learned that just because it is "natural," it doesn't mean it doesn't have any side effects. That's scary about your BP going over 200! It's a wonder that you didn't have a stroke! :unsure:

AccountDeleted

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1319367178' post='2325580']

I've since learned that just because it is "natural," it doesn't mean it doesn't have any side effects. That's scary about your BP going over 200! It's a wonder that you didn't have a stroke! :unsure:
[/quote]

That's what concerned the doc too. And it reminds us that Novice Mistresses don't know everything! :P I was put on hypertensive meds and for a week, the Infirmarian had to take my BP once a day and then I had to go back to the doc for another test. I'm okay now, but it was a very stressful time for awhile. The NM just had this aversion to doctors so she tried to get all her postulants and Novices to go to her homeopath instead of the doctor. Finally the Prioress said that they could choose whichever they wanted and I chose the doctor. I have nothing against alternative medicine, but since it was a three month live-in and I used to be a nurse, I felt better after that knowing I was being monitored by a medical professional.

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1319365223' post='2325568']
[/quote]

Noted. I didn't think of that...

When faithcecellia replied with the helpful hint about the questions of retiring early, it took me back a bit. Such an innocuous little question! Must you always be thinking, "Is this a test?"

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Francis Clare' timestamp='1319376369' post='2325626']
When faithcecellia replied with the helpful hint about the questions of retiring early, it took me back a bit. Such an innocuous little question! Must you always be thinking, "Is this a test?"
[/quote]

I never saw it this way when my Prioress or NM offered to let me go up early - I always saw it as a gift from my Beloved who knows what I need better than I do myself! :love:

[quote name='Francis Clare' timestamp='1319376369' post='2325626']
[/quote]

Knowing the Carmel, yes.