An Old School Catholic Message Board

Entering The Convent, The Orthodox Way

marigold

MarysLittleFlower
:love: This must be so exciting! (though I can understand the "ah I can't believe it's actually happening!!" feeling. :)).

• 3 months later...

Well, I thought it was time to revive this thread. I finished my last day of paid work, looking after my 2-year-old boy. As we had planned it, I would be going to the monastery on Monday - that is, in 3 days. But, I still don't have my visa. It looks like I'm going to have a whole lot more time on my hands. Right now I'm feeling quite ... 'numb' about it all, although that might be the headcold that's going around the house. I've got a busy weekend ahead, with a choir meeting tomorrow and then my friend being baptised on Sunday. After that I'll probably spend a few days at my parents', or as many days as I can without going mental.

This is the first time I've had basically nothing that I HAVE to do in the short term, but at the same time with a long-term security... So, what do you do in this situation? Go to church every day and sit around making prayer ropes? Tick items off a list of adventurous things to do before you die? :S

brandelynmarie
:console: My recommendation is at some point, take a long hot bath, have a glass of wine & sit with a spiritually uplifting book. And yes, I mean all at the same time! You are between the now & not yet...& what I am sensing is He is asking to rest & trust in it...in Him. Easier said than done for all of us though, don't you think? :blush: Peace be with you...

Remember that there is a reason why He wants you where you are right now. It could simply be that He is giving you some quiet time to make this transition. Enjoy this time and know that this is all in His timing.
Prayers for you!

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1328914162' post='2385182']
:console: My recommendation is at some point, take a long hot bath, have a glass of wine & sit with a spiritually uplifting book. And yes, I mean all at the same time! You are between the now & not yet...& what I am sensing is He is asking to rest & trust in it...in Him. Easier said than done for all of us though, don't you think? :blush: Peace be with you...
[/quote]

That sounds like a hardcore remedy brandelynmarie :hehe2: Thanks for the headsup, I'm definitely trying it! Now, if only there was a way to get free wine... spending takes on a different perspective when you don't have any more income on the, er, incoming.

[quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1328916004' post='2385203']
Remember that there is a reason why He wants you where you are right now. It could simply be that He is giving you some quiet time to make this transition. Enjoy this time and know that this is all in His timing.
Prayers for you!
[/quote]

Yeah... and I know that in my [i]brain[/i]... But it's easier said than done :saint2: Thank you for your prayers!

[quote name='Selah' timestamp='1328927226' post='2385256']
I was looking for this thread today. Funny that it popped up again.

Prayers here too :)
[/quote]

Thanks! Hope you found what you were looking for.

One of the sisters just mentioned in an email that they're getting high speed internet installed on Monday. Is it silly to feel a twinge of regret?

My little boy and his dad just left for the first day of nursery. He's all grown up, and he's not mine anymore :cry4: I know he's ready for this, and as his dad said, 'It's an inevitability, so we might as well s.uck it up and consider it God's will' which I think was as close as he was going to get to admitting he was nervous too.

More than anything this means I really really [i]am[/i] unemployed and brings me a step closer to the monastery, but also cuts off another tie to the world. Which feels weird when I still have an undefined amount of time to live in the world.

Edited by marigold

Marigold, even though you didn't get your word right at the end of our novena, which I was really hoping you would, it WILL happen! Don't give up hope! And in that "in-between place," know that you are right where He's wants you to be, and there's a reason He has you there! In the meantime, I hope Brandelynn's suggestion helped :)

[quote name='Jennirom' timestamp='1329128757' post='2386228']
My prayers are for you at this time. God Bless You Marigold
[/quote]
[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1329155398' post='2386371']
Marigold, even though you didn't get your word right at the end of our novena, which I was really hoping you would, it WILL happen! Don't give up hope! And in that "in-between place," know that you are right where He's wants you to be, and there's a reason He has you there! In the meantime, I hope Brandelynn's suggestion helped :)
[/quote]

Thank you both!

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1328914162' post='2385182']
:console: My recommendation is at some point, take a long hot bath, have a glass of wine & sit with a spiritually uplifting book. And yes, I mean all at the same time!
[/quote]

Brandelynmarie, I followed your above advice - except it was a gin & tonic instead of wine. Will that do? It's been a zinger of a day... Started out well, I helped a friend out with her horse, and even started replying to your PM. But after some more Broken Family Tension at my parents' house, and drunken phonecalls from my godmother, and other things along those lines, I feel like I'm getting pretty close to my wits' end.

I feel burned out after a year of high-stress work, and 2-3 years of moving around and changing situations before that. At the same time it's like I haven't really [i]done [/i]anything yet, and I'm waiting and waiting to get started with my real life, in the monastery. I need happy, normal people around me, and I need deep silence and loneliness to start getting back to the Lord. Need, need, need. Just a bag of needs at the moment.

What I [i]need[/i] is monastic life, I'm starting to see how literally harmonious and wholesome it is, a perfect balance of solitude with a safety net of sisters; very intense community life with periods of rest etc. But I can't avoid the feeling that I'll get there and everything that I've been holding in and all the tension of Christmas and my family situation will just come spilling out and I'll fall flat and be unable to get up again. The community can handle that, but it's still not a c.ool thing to have happen.

In the meantime, I'm worrying because Mother Abbess said she would write and still hasn't. It's a silly thing to feel sore over but what with everything else I'm a bit fragile. No visa, no money, no job, nothing really to do, just... waiting. I'm thinking about what Nunsense always says about writing God a blank cheque/check. And I'm also thinking about my patron saint - it dawned on me some months ago, when I was wondering about purpose and what's a really worthy thing to do with your life, and I realised that this particular saint is holy not because of she 'did something amazing for Christ/the Church'. She didn't, as far as I know. We don't know anything about her life except that she was just a lady who saw Christ, and followed him.

I'm sorry this is such a rambly mess. I needed to write it out.

brandelynmarie
:console: That's what we are here for, chica. Sorry your day has smelled of elderberries. :( We are praying for you that you may you find His Peace this Lent.

[size=2]And G&T with lime works just as well. :secret: [/size]