An Old School Catholic Message Board

Entering The Convent, The Orthodox Way

marigold

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1335798542' post='2425183']
Thank yooou! :) Yes, as I say, Sunday or Monday!
[/quote]

That's so soon! How are you feeling now everything has been sorted and are actually entering?

Since you're moving to another country, I thought you might like this little story from an American sister at St. C's:

So it was when I arrived at Heathrow with a letter from the Abbey, the customs official asked, “And how long do you plan to stay in this country?’ “Forever, I hope.” Forever is not a category familiar to immigration officials, so I was sent to the sidelines together with who appeared to be other illegal aliens, while my fellow travellers loked on, wondering what I had done. Forever: not because I was sure it would all work out, but forever, because love is like that.

I hope you manage to get through without any such problems. :hehe2:

Such wondeful news, Marigold! We are happy for you... but we will MISS having you regularly on the board... but know you will remember us regularly before the Lord, which is much more important!

MARIGOLD-MAIL

I did offer to Marigold (and anyone else who is entering, for that matter) that if it would be helpful, I'd be happy to be a go-between BECAUSE I am not going anywhere (I'm married!), so it just kind of makes sense!. Now that I think of it, I guess I have volunteered to be the PHATMass VS extern?

The only complication for Marigold's entrance being so soon (!) is I am scheduled to go on a trip to visit a very sick friend.... and will leave on Friday night and won't return until Tuesday evening! (Marigold, I don't want to have the visa delayed... but one more week would make things easier....!)

So, I suggest your good-bye wishes be sent to her via this thread or as a PM directly to her, but I'll be happy to forward mail to/from her after next week. What we're thinking about is she can probably send a letter once or twice a year (not sure if that is snail or email variety), but I can collect our letters & messages & dump them in an envelope (or email) and forward them on a regular basis. Be sure to let me know if something needs to be sent by a particular date... but remember, she may not get it right away, so plan accordingly!

I'll hold any sensitive messges in complete confidence... and include my prayers as well.

If someone has something super-sensitive and doesn't want me to have access to it, PM me and we can figure out a way you could send it to me in a sealed envelope for forwarding.

If anyone has any better ideas, let me know....

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1335803424' post='2425207']
That's so soon! How are you feeling now everything has been sorted and are actually entering?

Since you're moving to another country, I thought you might like this little story from an American sister at St. C's:

So it was when I arrived at Heathrow with a letter from the Abbey, the customs official asked, “And how long do you plan to stay in this country?’ “Forever, I hope.” Forever is not a category familiar to immigration officials, so I was sent to the sidelines together with who appeared to be other illegal aliens, while my fellow travellers loked on, wondering what I had done. Forever: not because I was sure it would all work out, but forever, because love is like that.

[/quote]

That's a great story, Emily-Ann! It parallels the story that Maria von Trapp ([i][u]Sound of Music[/u][/i]'s Maria) told in [u][i]The Story of the Trapp Family Singers[/i][/u] about when they were coming to the U.S. (in the tense days right before WWII) they had visas as musical perfomers NOT for permanent residence. But when they arrived at Ellis Island, she was so relieved to be on U.S. soil that when they asked her that question, she also blurted "I don't ever want to leave!" and they detained her for WEEKS! So... get some suggestions from the Sisters and/or HS people as to how to answer that question!!!

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1335803424' post='2425207']

[/quote]

Oh my, so do I! I always have an irrational fear that passport control are going to bring up something I've completely forgotten about and refuse me entry. I stand there in line recounting things they could possibly 'get' me for. Father joked to me that it was a sign of something on my conscience - I'm just glad I don't have a criminal record because everything like that is another hurdle. :mail:

To be honest, I'm feeling a bit shell-shocked. I'm getting stressed at the friends & acquaintances, many of whom haven't been in touch for two or three years, getting in contact and asking for One Last Drink/Meal/Visit - it sounds really selfish even in my head but I feel put upon. I don't want a party or to 'go out with a a bang', I just want to hang out with my family and get travel arrangements done. Gripe gripe! Hopefully it'll get a bit more balanced as the week goes on.

Theresita Nerita

Congrats Marigold! I'm so happy everything's working out!

Good luck and pray for all of us, and we'll do the same for you! :heart:

:nun2:

Well you definitely have my prayers and blessings Marigold. I for one have a "soft spot" for the Orthodox. Alexander Schmemann (RIP) is my favorite theologian, no question about it! and of course Metropolitan Hilarion Alfeyev! I just love him (he's quite a musician too!).

I'm glad Anne Line is going to be the "go-between" as I would love to hear how things are working out for you in the monastery.

TheresaThoma

YAY!!! I just got off work and this was one of the first threads that I checked. Prayers for you as you begin this wonderful journey!

Anne we really do need "VS externs"! Thanks so much for being the go between!

Paraphrased from St. Therese....

"at last I had found my vocation! I would be love! in the heart of [color=#b22222]PHATmass[/color] I would be love!"

[img]http://pursuingaholylife.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/therese.jpg[/img]

AveMariaPurissima

Marigold, that is so exciting that you will be entering so soon! :yahoo: Praise God! I will keep you in my prayers.

maximillion

So soon........love it and hate it. Miss you LOTS!!!!

Happy for you LOTS!!!!!

Carmelshrimp

Wonderful news! We'll miss you but so happy things have finally sorted themselves out and you're on your way. Safe journey.

I can't find the words to thank you all individually, so THANK YOU and know that I'm praying for all of us here.

Feeling a bit more human today. I slept for about 13hrs, woke up to an unexpected letter from Sr. Maria Teresa (Aya Sophia - so lovely as I didn't think she'd ever be able to write back. She said a couple of things which cheered me up) and have spent the afternoon with my friend and her toddler. She gave me a small photo album of us as children, and reassured me that I shouldn't feel obligated to see everyone before I head off. Another friend is buying me a nightgown. I've done what I do whenever I get stressed and made a to-do list. :) It is going to be ok. God is the boss of me.

All the best Marigold. You have given us all so much and I feel blessed to have learned
from your wisdom. I will always remember you, and pray for you, and ask your prayers for all
of us.

I do not know what else to say except to wonder that someone I have never known
and will never meet has shown me so powerfully the transforming power of God's love.

May the holy Theotokos protect you, and your sisters, always.