An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ethiopia! (Salesian Lay Missioners)

MithLuin

Some of you may have seen my earlier thread ([url=http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/113425-im-finally-discerning/]I'm *finally* discerning![/url]) in which I shared that I was looking into doing some foreign mission work.

I contacted some great organizations this past June, and mutually discerned that the [url=http://www.salesianlaymissioners.org/]Salesian Lay Missioners[/url] were a wonderful fit. And so...in January I will be leaving for Ethiopia to teach English to high school students in a Salesian school in Addis Abeba.

I'm very excited, though of course it's a bit nervewracking, too. I've never been to Africa before. I've never been out of the country (I'm from the US) for more than 10 days at once. And I've been told that Skype is illegal in Ethiopia, so contacting friends and family will have to be done online or with snail mail (I doubt I'm going to make that many international phone calls).

Of course, I had a month long orientation program in the summer, so I got to meet the other people who were crazy enough to do this sort of thing ;). And when I go in January, another girl will already be at my site, so she can help show me the ropes a bit. So, it's hardly something I'm doing on my own.

But at the same time...I've not yet been in contact with the Salesians in Ethiopia, so until I hear from them, I'm very hesitant to answer people's questions about what it will be like. Because...I honestly don't know for sure yet!

But no doubt I will eventually have news and all sorts of things to share, so that's why I've decided to start this thread. No promises to update it with any regularity, but hopefully I'll get to share at least some of the journey with you all. So until I know more about my mission in particular, I can share a bit about Ethiopia in general.

Here's the flag: [img]http://www.theodora.com/flags/countries/ethiopia/ethiopian_flag_athens_040820_reuters.jpg[/img]

And here's where Ethiopia is: [img]http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/africa/etafrica.gif[/img]

The language my students will speak is [url=http://www.omniglot.com/writing/amharic.htm]Amharic[/url]. I'm really hoping that by high school they have a fair amount of English...but I suppose I'll find out once I'm there! I'll do my best to learn some Amharic while I'm there (1-1.5 years), but I imagine it will be slow going for me. At the very least, it will give me reason to sympathize with my students who are studying a foreign language!

What a fantastic opportunity! I've heard of a lot of languages and dialects, but I've never heard of Amharic. Is there any comparable language that I might relate it to? There's been so much good news in so short a time --- prayers are being answered at a remarkable rate of speed. :heart:

Wow.

So, where does the 'mission' part fit into the general scheme of things? Is it mission in the sense of bringing good educators over to help, or is it part of a bigger plan to convert some folks?

Edited by marigold

I speak a little bit of Amharic, its a fun language to listen to. Ethiopian food is delicious, and everyone I've met from there is very nice. I'll be praying for you Mith, good luck!

I met a Salesian missioner not too long ago who spent time in Ethiopia. He was radically changed by the experience and these days almost prefers Africa to the U.S.

I have a huge soft spot in my heart for the Salesians -- and with you, they've become a little more amesome. ;) Good luck!

InPersonaChriste

YAY!

so pointers.. People say hi and hug a lot so dont get freaked out. People are always holding hands there apparently. The market is sort of scary, but most of the people are really nice. Don't give beggars money, buy some banana's or something. They really take advantage of white people who think they are helping poor homeless kids bye giving them money, but food is more suggested.

Umm.. Don't take pictures of the embassy, dont talk to strangers, have locks on your backpack. Bring pepto bismol, oh and try some eithiopian food before going there. It is SUPER spicy but really delicious.

yes.. and I have never been there this is just a general list from my dad and eldest sister. Basically everything they were warned not do to, and things that they did..... :P

The only words I know in Amharic are Salem, Mandano, Cuchbe (totally wrong spelling) and Ishy.
so Hello, Whats up, sit down, and It's okay.

Edited by InPersonaChriste

Thanks, everyone! It's so neat to hear how many connections people have to Ethiopians or the Salesians. :)

Haha, thanks for the heads up, InPersonaChriste! Don't worry, I have no intention of giving out money to beggars. I don't really plan to have much in the way of money, to be honest ;). But I don't give out money to beggars in this country, so I certainly wouldn't do it there. I'd honestly be hesitant to give out anything to street children (because then they'd expect it from you every time you come by.) But maybe I'll find some way to share food that's safe.

[quote name='Francis Clare' timestamp='1321392854' post='2336628']
What a fantastic opportunity! I've heard of a lot of languages and dialects, but I've never heard of Amharic. Is there any comparable language that I might relate it to? [/quote]

Amharic is a Semitic language, which mean it is somewhat similar to Hebrew and Arabic. Like Hebrew and Arabic, it has its own alphabet...or, well, writing system (not strictly an alphabet).

Here's the numbers:
1: and
2: hulett
3: sost
4: arat
5: ame'st
6: se'de'st
7: sebat
8: se'me'nt
9: zeteny
10: asse'r

And how you write/say them is here:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTsNFvQ0yok[/media]

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1321392921' post='2336629']
So, where does the 'mission' part fit into the general scheme of things? Is it mission in the sense of bringing good educators over to help, or is it part of a bigger plan to convert some folks?
[/quote]

The Salesians were founded by Don Bosco, an Italian priest from the 1800s who began educating street boys in Turin, Italy. Since then, the Salesians have spread to 135 countries in the world and are known for the vocational schools. St. John Bosco's motto was 'Da mihi animas, cetera tolle,' or 'Give me souls, take away the rest.' His model for education is that it must be a school, an oratory, a playground and a home. So, you reach kids by loving them and provide the opportunity for them to grow in faith and knowledge and marketable skills. Win-win all around.

Ethiopia has a very small Catholic minority. The majority of the country is Ethiopian Orthodox, so they've been Christian since the time of the Bible (literally). They are monophysites, so there are some theological differences between us. There is also a significant Muslim minority. I do not know what the rules are about inviting kids to come to church with me or anything like that. I intend to follow the lead of the priests at the mission site in that regard. But certainly the mission is to share the love of Jesus with the world. I wouldn't be going if I didn't feel called to go and serve in this way. I will likely have the opportunity to attend daily mass and morning/evening prayers with the Salesian community there (though I don't know if that would conflict with my work schedule).

Edited by MithLuin

As you might know, Israel brought Ethiopian Jews home in two waves, and so we see, and work with Ethiopians every day. They are a warm-hearted, intelligent, hard-working people. They are racially quite different from black Africans -- indeed, the late ruler, Haile Selassie believed himself to be a descendant of the Queen of Sheba [which is why he used the title Lion of Judah. It is unclear whether Yemen or Ethiopia should lay claim to that distinction, however] Those who live in the Addis Ababa region are much more likely to have some English than those in more rural areas.

As for their religious beliefs, I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to let you know that they are the older, and more authentic, form of Christianity! In any event, I'm sure you will have a fruitful and interesting experience. You must keep us posted.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, there are many Ethiopians in DC as well as Israel. I don't know too many people who are Ethiopian, but that's about to change....

Well, I announced my impending 'travel plans' on facebook, so I guess it's pretty much out there to even my acquaintances now. My family and many of my friends have known since the summer, since I spent the entire month of July away for training. But the local Catholic newspaper also ran an article on me doing this, so now - even people who don't know me, know. That's a bit intimidating!

But now that December is finally here, January seems....SOON. Part of me is a getting a bit anxious/nervous, and another part of me can't wait to go. So, I'm just trying to enjoy my time here with my sister's family and look forward to Christmas, while continuing to work on stuff to get ready. I think I'll be more settled about the whole thing when I have my plane ticket in hand and/or learn more about what my job will be like 'over there.'

You're in DC? That was my hometown, but I left so long ago that Sonny Jurgensen and Billy Kilmer were quarterbacking the Redskins [and they were winning games, too]

Wonder what the weather is like this time of year in Ethiopia. Here in Israel it is the rainy season -- no frost, and only every few years a dusting of snow in Jerusalem, but extended periods of nasty, cold, wet weather [sort of like October-November in DC]

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, [b]Lisa[/b]! Prayers are always appreciated :)

I'm from the Baltimore area, so near DC, but I've never lived there. I've been a bit further south than that for the past two months, but am coming home for Christmas.

I bought my plane ticket :) So, now Visa and shots, and everything will be in order (except, of course, the packing...)