An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ethiopia! (Salesian Lay Missioners)

MithLuin

We Israelis were introduced to both injera and Ethiopian food when Israel absorbed the Ethiopian Jews in two airlifts. The open air market in Jerusalem now has several shops for teff and other Ethiopian staples, and there are a couple of restaurants that feature Ethiopian food -- a bit too spicy for me, alas.

Glad you are settling in! How's the weather?

• 1 month later...

Injera helps to cut the spice of the food ;)

Easter here is a week later, since we follow the Ethiopian Orthodox calendar for major feasts. I am looking forward to breaking the fast - a vegan I am not!

The weather is lovely - not too hot, and sunny every day (for the first 2 mo.) It started raining this week, but only in the evenings. So, we still have beautiful days, and the air is all sparkly clean and not so dry and dusty now!

I've posted some updates on my blog, if anyone is curious: mithluin.livejournal.com

Happy Holy Thursday, and may everyone have a blessed Triduum!

• 3 months later...

Hello again!

Due to visa issues, I had to come home for the summer. But, I'll be headed back to Ethiopia in August, once I get my visa renewed. It was a bit frustrating to have to leave, but it came at a good time - I'm missing the rainy season and school's out for the summer, so it's not a bad thing that I'll be gone right now. And...time home with my family is always good :)

Mith, welcome back!!!! How did your first semester go? What was challenging/extra amesome? How is learning the language going?

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

I'm glad you are liking your time in Ethiopia. I spent time working at Dill Chora hospital in Dire Dawa, and had a couple trips to addis myself. It's good to hear you are liking the injera I myself could never quire the taste. How is you amharic coming along. I have a book I picked up there called Amahric for foreign beginners which is pretty decent as far as small text go. I don't think I'll have a chancce to get back to Ethipia for awhile so if you PM your address I'll drop it in the mail for you tomorrow. As well if you just so happen to stop by a market square and pick up some Ethipian frakensence and a traditional coffee pot. I would be most happy to work out getting you some money. my pot broke when I shipped it home, and I could use about 300 bir worth of incense apparently it makes great gifts to priests :) I didn't bring nearly enough home with me.

It sounds like you will be heading back justin time for everything to get bright green and vibrant. I'm not ashamed to admit I'm a bit jealous right now.

PAX

• 1 year later...

Well, I'm back.  :)

I've had to say goodbye to Ethiopia, and will be returning to the States in a few days.  I'm really glad I've had the opportunity to live there, and of course there are many things and people I will miss now that I am gone.  But then again, I can't wait to see people back home and am getting a bit nervous about starting over from scratch again.  But I'm sure it will all work out somehow.

Don't know how much time I'll be spending on Phatmass, but I did want to stop in and say hi.  Thanks for all the support from people here, it was really appreciated!

OnlySunshine

Well, I'm back.   :)

I've had to say goodbye to Ethiopia, and will be returning to the States in a few days.  I'm really glad I've had the opportunity to live there, and of course there are many things and people I will miss now that I am gone.  But then again, I can't wait to see people back home and am getting a bit nervous about starting over from scratch again.  But I'm sure it will all work out somehow.

Don't know how much time I'll be spending on Phatmass, but I did want to stop in and say hi.  Thanks for all the support from people here, it was really appreciated!

I was just thinking about you the other day and wondering if your service was almost done yet!  Glad to hear you had a swell time!  :)

Well, I'm back.   :)

Well I wasn't on PM when you were planning your mission trip but I just read through this thread and I must say it sounds wonderful! I'm sure we would all love to hear some more details  :like2:

TheresaThoma

Welcome back! I would love to hear more about your experiences when you are more settled back in!