An Old School Catholic Message Board

My Dream Community

Little Flower

dominicansoul

[quote name='EWIE' timestamp='1323381175' post='2347528']
[color=#A52A2A][size=4][b]sheesh....[/b][/size][/color]
[/quote]

I gave you props for using the expression "sheesh" I use that all the time! :lol:

i<3franciscans

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1323447740' post='2348011']
i think every Catholic should spend a month in a convent or monastery. It should be required at Confirmation. This way, those with authentic callings may have their callings nurtured, while those with fantasies about religious life will have their fantasies put to rest... :smile2:
[/quote]
That would be pretty radical, but I would have loved that... :love:

i think every Catholic should spend a month in a convent or monastery. It should be required at Confirmation. This way, those with authentic callings may have their callings nurtured, while those with fantasies about religious life will have their fantasies put to rest... :smile2:
[/quote]

That would be amesome. I had no idea about women religious until I was 24. The Confirmation Coordinator was a Marist Brother but he was not very good at teaching about the saints or anything important. He was kind of grumpy from what I remember. We don't have many habited religious in our diocese, either. :(

FutureSister2009

[quote name='i<3LSOP' timestamp='1323270146' post='2346425']
[b] Serious Part:[/b]

My dream order would wear habits that are dark green with white veils and brown rosaries. We would go to Mass everyday, not be transferred, be able to pick the Sisters that we like to be with us and our "mission" would be to help anyone who is elderly who's poor materially, but especially spiritually. We would pray our Rosary's everyday, have adoration, and have at least two-three hours of time to pray to the Lord. We would all try to grow into close union with the Lord and each other too!

[b]Fun Part:[/b]

We would be able to play lot's of game like apples to apples, monopoly, clue and we would all play volleyball and ice skate in free time.

[b] Who wants to join!?! [/b]
[/quote]

I am totally in on this Community! They have Biblical Apples to Apples so that works!!!

[color=#A52A2A][size=4][b]t[/b][/size][/color][color=#A52A2A][size=4][b]hanks for the props. [/b][/size][/color]
[color=#A52A2A][size=4][b]The "sheesh" serves as a fiddler for what is on the edge of my tongue. :)[/b][/size][/color]

[quote name='EWIE' timestamp='1323459659' post='2348202']

[color=#A52A2A][size=4][b]t[/b][/size][/color][color=#A52A2A][size=4][b]hanks for the props. [/b][/size][/color]
[color=#A52A2A][size=4][b]The "sheesh" serves as a fiddler for what is on the edge of my tongue. :)[/b][/size][/color]
[/quote]

:hehe:

[/quote]

Well I don't know about it being required for confirmation (actually I do know what I think about that, and it isn't positive) -- and for the sake of the various orders, if it were even a reasonably common thing pre-confirmation then confirmation should happen MUCH MUCH LATER. (In my diocese, people were confirmed somewhere between 12-14 and I would not wish hordes of those folks on any community!)

But I (me, myself) think it would be a GRAND THING for communities -- active and contemplative -- to have "internships" of sorts where you could "live the life" for a season of your life -- few months to few years.

Kind of like a live-in, but without the expectation that "you are seriously seriously considering joining up for life." (Though sometimes you might think you were going on an 'adventure with God' for a year and then realize that God is calling you for longer! Stranger things have happened.)

I think Regina Laudis does this.

And various active communities have some sort of year-long volunteer program (Jesuit Volunteer Corps, LAMP, etc.) that is living the charism in a different but still real way.

I think it would be a good thing if this were quite common. And I totally haven't thought about logistics or how this would "disrupt the life" for the vowed members or whatever. Upon further consideration it might be a terrible idea. But on the "kicking ideas around and brainstorming" level I think it'd be grand -- for the community, for the people who are there for a season, for the Church more broadly, just grand.

:)

dominicansoul

haha, i didnt' even think about hordes of kids spending their days at a convent somewheres, although I think the Nashies have plenty of space in that humongous motherhouse of theirs! :P

I think all the organizations you mentioned are wonderful opportunities as well!

MissScripture

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1323447842' post='2348014']

I gave you props for using the expression "sheesh" I use that all the time! :lol:
[/quote]
You are a perfect fit for the Godmother of Peanut. ;)

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1323468393' post='2348249']
haha, i didnt' even think about hordes of kids spending their days at a convent somewheres, although I think the Nashies have plenty of space in that humongous motherhouse of theirs! :P

I think all the organizations you mentioned are wonderful opportunities as well!
[/quote]
Are you kidding!? They don't have room in the chapel for everyone when they're all home!

And while I agree with Krissylou about the poor communities that would have hoards of young'uns descending upon them! The poor Sisters and Brothers trying to live their lives! Particularly with some of the kids nowadays! :shocking: Though, I also do think that religious life needs to be addressed a lot more to the younger kids. Back in the day there was so much more exposure with Sisters running so many of the Catholic schools. Now it needs to be much more actively addressed.

dominicansoul

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1323470131' post='2348255']
You are a perfect fit for the Godmother of Peanut. ;)

Are you kidding!? They don't have room in the chapel for everyone when they're all home!

And while I agree with Krissylou about the poor communities that would have hoards of young'uns descending upon them! The poor Sisters and Brothers trying to live their lives! Particularly with some of the kids nowadays! :shocking: Though, I also do think that religious life needs to be addressed a lot more to the younger kids. Back in the day there was so much more exposure with Sisters running so many of the Catholic schools. Now it needs to be much more actively addressed.
[/quote]

but what about the rooms behind those secret doorways?

oops... :shutup:

MissScripture

Psh, i'm just a lowly family member. I don't even have any idea what half the place looks like! Like I know anything? People going on retreats see WAY more than I ever will!

Little Flower

[quote name='jruss' timestamp='1323219034' post='2345851']

Sounds an awful lot like the Nashville Dominicans to me.
[/quote]
ah. the only problem there is that I forgot to put in my description that it would be cloistered. if i didn't think i was supposed to be cloistered i would totes be a nashie!