An Old School Catholic Message Board

You Know You Are A Future Bride/groom...

Sarah147

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1324055152' post='2352311']

It's a vocation that is very new to me and I am still learning about it, but I believe the Bishop of your diocese has to approve it and you have to have a spiritual director (which is non-existent for me because there are none in my diocese). I'm not sure I'm called to it, either. It's a beautiful vocation, but I think I am more attracted to marriage than consecrated single life. But, I have a long time left to discern and I'm in no hurry. :)
[/quote]

Mater, if you'd like me to give you the info for the consecrated virgin and hermitess in my old diocese, I can! I'm sure they'd love to hear from you. And any advice they could give I"m sure would be helpful in your discernment.

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1325008106' post='2358136']
Mater, if you'd like me to give you the info for the consecrated virgin and hermitess in my old diocese, I can! I'm sure they'd love to hear from you. And any advice they could give I"m sure would be helpful in your discernment.
[/quote]

Though I really appreciate the offer, I just cannot see myself living the vocation of a consecrated single in the world the more and more I think about it. I think God is calling me to seriously consider the vocation of marriage. :)

Mater, I see that in myself, too. I'm just so drawn to be affectionate, and desire to possibly have one close loved one (spouse) to share my life with, to grow together in holiness, etc. Beyond what you have in "friendships" -- a real union of wills. I'm still looking into religious life, but I just see that marriage would be the next most desired calling for me. :)

The handout the RSM sent me says a sign of RL calling is: "Desire to love expansively rather than feeling fully satisfied in an intimate relationship with one person." But, it seems in marriage, you love expansively to your children.

I don't have time to respond adequately as I'm on my DH's phone and will be til the end of the week, but I can understand why they say that. I don't necessarily think their idea of "loving expansively" applies to one's children. Your children are your own flesh and blood, you love them like no other children on earth. Your relationship with your children is very unique and specific. I mean yes, it's more "expansive", in a sense, than the love a spouse has for the other, but a person with a religious vocation feels called to love "above" that...to love all people, to be a spiritual mother to all. It's a different kind of love. The love a parent has for a child isn't necessarily "expansive" in that sense; no one else on earth will love my children like I do. I think the focus is more on the difference between spousal love and the "expansive" love of a religious, where she does not feel called to give herself to another human in that intimate way, but to dedicate her life to God and love all those in the world with an equal, spiritual love. If that makes sense; hard to sort my thoughts and express them well on this phone. I'll come back and clarity later, just wanted to respond a bit first, anyway :)