An Old School Catholic Message Board

For Those Of You Who Are Curious...

Queen'sDaughter

FuturePriest, those ideas sound sensible, but if you don't wake up when you're pulled upright and you fall from the bed to the floor, I think you need to speak to a doctor as well. Deep sleep is one thing, but what you're describing is very unusual. There might be some condition you have that can be treated. You never know.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='beatitude' timestamp='1326828292' post='2370557']
FuturePriest, those ideas sound sensible, but if you don't wake up when you're pulled upright and you fall from the bed to the floor, I think you need to speak to a doctor as well. Deep sleep is one thing, but what you're describing is very unusual. There might be some condition you have that can be treated. You never know.
[/quote]

I think it's hereditary. My two aunts both require major amounts of sleep. I think I just need to discipline myself is all. I'm actually better than I used to be. I was young when I fell from the bed to the floor, and I have a feeling that if that happened to me today I would wake up. It's just a lack of sleep, added to the fact that I let my body get away with it. Hopefully I can change this soon. If I find it too hard to wake up after two hours of sleep, than I should probably look towards the Benedictine Monks in Clear Creek that I'm discerning with.

FuturePriest, I do hope you get your sleep issues seen to. I've had insomnia all winter so I sympathise with feeling like you can't get up, feeling awake at the wrong times, etc.! :)

To unhijack the topic, my future community's timetable looks like this:

5 a.m. - Matins
6 a.m. - First Hour
[i]breakfast, barn chores, cleaning[/i]
9 a.m. - Third Hour
[i]house meeting, work (farm/garden/office)[/i]
12 p.m. - Sixth Hour
[i]lunch, rest[/i]
3 p.m. - Ninth Hour
[i]work[/i]
5 p.m. Vespers
6 p.m. Supper
7 p.m. Compline
[i]final barn chores[/i]

And then bedtime is up to you. I was usually flat out by 9!

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1326845171' post='2370689']
FuturePriest, I do hope you get your sleep issues seen to. I've had insomnia all winter so I sympathise with feeling like you can't get up, feeling awake at the wrong times, etc.! :)

To unhijack the topic, my future community's timetable looks like this:

5 a.m. - Matins
6 a.m. - First Hour
[i]breakfast, barn chores, cleaning[/i]
9 a.m. - Third Hour
[i]house meeting, work (farm/garden/office)[/i]
12 p.m. - Sixth Hour
[i]lunch, rest[/i]
3 p.m. - Ninth Hour
[i]work[/i]
5 p.m. Vespers
6 p.m. Supper
7 p.m. Compline
[i]final barn chores[/i]

And then bedtime is up to you. I was usually flat out by 9!
[/quote]

What community are you discerning with? What animals do they have and what are the barn chores?

Edited by DarleneSteinemann

[quote name='DarleneSteinemann' timestamp='1326845916' post='2370703']
What community are you discerning with? What animals do they have and what are the barn chores?
[/quote]

It's an Orthodox monastery in the eastern US. They keep oxen, sheep, goats, chickens, ducks, a zillion cats and two guard dogs! The barn chores I mentioned basically is milking and feeding first thing in the morning and last thing at night. Everybody likes their grain.

• 4 months later...

I love this thread about horariums! A community's schedule is such a simple thing that really tells a lot about them. Here is roswell poor clares' schedule:

[b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]12:30 a.m.[/color][/size][/font][/b] [b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]Matins, silent prayer[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]4:55 a.m.[/color][/size][/font][/b] [b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]rising for Lauds[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]5:15 a.m.[/color][/size][/font][/b] [b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]Lauds[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]6:00 a.m.[/color][/size][/font][/b] [b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]coffee, order cells[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]6:25 a.m.[/color][/size][/font][/b] [b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]private exposition[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]7:00 a.m.[/color][/size][/font][/b] [b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]conventual Mass[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]7:50 a.m.[/color][/size][/font][/b] [b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]beginning of all-day exposition, Terce, adoration hours[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]8:30 a.m.[/color][/size][/font][/b] [b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]work[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]10:45 a.m.[/color][/size][/font][/b] [b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]Sext, private prayer, examen[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]11:30 a.m.[/color][/size][/font][/b] [b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]dinner, general work[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]1:10 p.m.[/color][/size][/font][/b] [b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]study time[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]1:40 p.m.[/color][/size][/font][/b] [b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]None[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]2:15 p.m.[/color][/size][/font][/b] [b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]classes for novitiate sisters, work[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]4:00 p.m.[/color][/size][/font][/b] [b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]rosary, Vespers, private prayer (public exposition of the Blessed Sacrament on Thursdays and Sundays, with Benediction at 4:30)[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]5:50 p.m.[/color][/size][/font][/b] [b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]Collation, free time[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]6:30 p.m.[/color][/size][/font][/b] [b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]recreation[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]7:30 p.m.[/color][/size][/font][/b] [b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]Compline[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]8:45 p.m.[/color][/size][/font][/b] [b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]retire[/color][/size][/font][/b]

so they get close to 8 hours a night. :)

Edited by emmaberry

i<3franciscans

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1338576158' post='2439489']
I love this thread about horariums! A community's schedule is such a simple thing that really tells a lot about them. Here is roswell poor clares' schedule:

[b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]12:30 a.m.[/color][/size][/font][/b] [b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]Matins, silent prayer[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]4:55 a.m.[/color][/size][/font][/b] [b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]rising for Lauds[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]5:15 a.m.[/color][/size][/font][/b] [b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]Lauds[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]6:00 a.m.[/color][/size][/font][/b] [b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]coffee, order cells[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]6:25 a.m.[/color][/size][/font][/b] [b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]private exposition[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]7:00 a.m.[/color][/size][/font][/b] [b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]conventual Mass[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]7:50 a.m.[/color][/size][/font][/b] [b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]beginning of all-day exposition, Terce, adoration hours[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]8:30 a.m.[/color][/size][/font][/b] [b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]work[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]10:45 a.m.[/color][/size][/font][/b] [b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]Sext, private prayer, examen[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]11:30 a.m.[/color][/size][/font][/b] [b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]dinner, general work[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]1:10 p.m.[/color][/size][/font][/b] [b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]study time[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]1:40 p.m.[/color][/size][/font][/b] [b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]None[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]2:15 p.m.[/color][/size][/font][/b] [b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]classes for novitiate sisters, work[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]4:00 p.m.[/color][/size][/font][/b] [b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]rosary, Vespers, private prayer (public exposition of the Blessed Sacrament on Thursdays and Sundays, with Benediction at 4:30)[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]5:50 p.m.[/color][/size][/font][/b] [b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]Collation, free time[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]6:30 p.m.[/color][/size][/font][/b] [b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]recreation[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]7:30 p.m.[/color][/size][/font][/b] [b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]Compline[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]8:45 p.m.[/color][/size][/font][/b] [b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0F0B52]retire[/color][/size][/font][/b]

so they get close to 8 hours a night. :)
[/quote]That is more sleep than I get!

AveMariaPurissima

Here's the Trinitarians' schedule:

5:30 Rise
5:45 Rosary before Dawn
6:30 Office and Lauds
(Morning Prayer)
7:45 Breakfast
8:15 Work
9:30 Study
11:45 Sext (Midday Prayer)
12:00 Holy Mass
1:00 Lunch
2:00 Personal Time / Rest
3:00 Chaplet of Mercy
3:15 None (Middafternoon Prayer)
3:45 Work/Study
5:00 Vespers (Evening Prayer)
5:30 Evening Rosary
6:00 Personal Time
7:00 Collation
7:30 Recreation
8:30 Compline (Night Prayer)
9:00 Grand Silence

I think this is the schedule they follow in Tecate. Our schedule in Michigan was a little different. (By the way, even though that might look like a decent amount of sleep, it's less than it looks like, since each Sister has 1-2 hours of Adoration every night.)

Since I had fun looking at the schedules, I will post ours

[list]
[*]getting up so one is in the chapel for meditation with the novitiate from 06:00 - 06:30 (My alarm clock is usually set at 05:42 - every minute of sleep is worth it ;) Professed sisters have meditation on their own and they can decide the timing... Most of them get up earlier, like 05:00 or so do have more time to pray...
[*]06:35 Breakfast. COFFEE and black tea!! :) :) I usually go back to my room, brush my teeth, make my bed
[*]07:15 morning prayer
[*]08:00 lectio
[*]08:45 chapter
[*]09:00 - 12:15 work/study
[*]12:15 midday prayer
[*]12:40 lunch, dishes
[*]14:00 - 15:00 siesta, personal time.
[*]15:00 - 15:30 Personal prayer
[*]15:30 - 18:30 work/study
[*]18:30 evening prayer or Eucharist
[*]19:15 dinner, dishes
[*]20:30 compline and great silence
[*]before sleeping individually: prayer of "going over your day" and read the gospel for the next day.
[*]Usually I try to sleep at around 21:15
[/list]
It does seem like quite sufficient sleep actually, but especially at the beginning and when you have some emotional turmoil and do not manage to fall asleep it can be quite annoying when it is midnight and you look at the watch knowing you will have to get up in less then 6 hours...
Also there are also always special things... Not always one has the "break" from 14:00 - 15:00 because if you have to squeeze something "unplanned" in your day, you usually do it then.
And also special liturgical times bring special prayers, e.g. during lent from 2-3 at night once a week or during easter time on sundays we get up earlier and have prayer at 05:30 to remember the morning of easter each sunday. And before feasts such as Pentecosts there is a night of prayer.

MarieClaire

[quote name='juchu' timestamp='1338712664' post='2440200']
Since I had fun looking at the schedules, I will post ours

[list]
[*]getting up so one is in the chapel for meditation with the novitiate from 06:00 - 06:30 (My alarm clock is usually set at 05:42 - every minute of sleep is worth it ;) Professed sisters have meditation on their own and they can decide the timing... Most of them get up earlier, like 05:00 or so do have more time to pray...
[*]06:35 Breakfast. COFFEE and black tea!! :) :) I usually go back to my room, brush my teeth, make my bed
[*]07:15 morning prayer
[*]08:00 lectio
[*]08:45 chapter
[*]09:00 - 12:15 work/study
[*]12:15 midday prayer
[*]12:40 lunch, dishes
[*]14:00 - 15:00 siesta, personal time.
[*]15:00 - 15:30 Personal prayer
[*]15:30 - 18:30 work/study
[*]18:30 evening prayer or Eucharist
[*]19:15 dinner, dishes
[*]20:30 compline and great silence
[*]before sleeping individually: prayer of "going over your day" and read the gospel for the next day.
[*]Usually I try to sleep at around 21:15
[/list]
It does seem like quite sufficient sleep actually, but especially at the beginning and when you have some emotional turmoil and do not manage to fall asleep it can be quite annoying when it is midnight and you look at the watch knowing you will have to get up in less then 6 hours...
Also there are also always special things... Not always one has the "break" from 14:00 - 15:00 because if you have to squeeze something "unplanned" in your day, you usually do it then.
And also special liturgical times bring special prayers, e.g. during lent from 2-3 at night once a week or during easter time on sundays we get up earlier and have prayer at 05:30 to remember the morning of easter each sunday. And before feasts such as Pentecosts there is a night of prayer.
[/quote]

juchu, your schedule seems to be fantastic!
Please tell me, which community do you belong to?