An Old School Catholic Message Board

Talk With Sisters Yesterday

OnlySunshine

I went to Mass yesterday and our pastor had invited some religious Sisters. It was the 3rd time they had been to our parish but I never got up the nerve to go and talk to them. My discernment had basically ended because I was fed up with getting nowhere and was convinced that God was calling me to a different way of life. During Mass, the Sisters were sitting across the way from our pew and one Sister kept looking up at me. I could not stop thinking how I needed to go and talk to them because, the day before, I felt the prodding of the Holy Spirit. I talked to my mom about it. She and I both felt that I needed to act on it. However, I was reluctant to start discerning again because of past experience and the fact that I am not in a position to visit communities. I'm trying to get a job to finish school and become a nurse.

Well, after Mass, I had to help clean the vessels after the priest purified them and was worried that I wouldn't make it out to the lobby in time before the Sisters left. I was relieved when I walked out to the lobby and they were still there, talking. I decided to go over to talk to my CRHP sisters while the Sisters finished their conversation. Nearly the moment I walked over, the Sisters were done, so I had to hastily excuse myself to meet them before they walked out the door. The one Sister who had been looking at me saw me come over and they immediately stopped. I introduced myself and said that I really wanted to discuss their order because I knew virtually nothing about them, but I was intrigued. I explained that I was taking a break from discernment because I had not found the right order and I was discerning other vocations. I asked them what kind of work they do and nursing is one of their apostolates amongst many others. I gave them my contact information and they gave me the Vocation Director's information.

I'm not saying that this could turn into anything. I am not going into full on discernment again (at least at this time). I just felt compelled to talk to them. They are coming back to our parish in the next few months for our Spring Festival so I am looking forward to seeing them again. Also, they will be starting a convent at our Church next year. Now is a good time to start building a relationship with them -- nothing serious, though. I'm too much of an all-or-nothing person and I don't want to rush into anything.

I ask for your prayers. Thank you. :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

Mater I'm so glad to hear this! I think no matter how this turns out it will be good for you. I will most definitely keep you in my prayers.

[quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1329153507' post='2386349']
Mater I'm so glad to hear this! I think no matter how this turns out it will be good for you. I will most definitely keep you in my prayers.
[/quote]

Thank you, T.T. I am relieved that I acted on the nudgings of the Holy Spirit because I would have been sad had I not been able to talk to the Sisters. They are a beautiful order and I am so thankful that they are coming to our parish. :)

MM,

Prayers for you. I understand all too well the frustrations in discernment. You seem to be open to whatever God's will be and I will continue to pray that the Holy Spirit guides you and gives you an open heart.

[quote name='By His Grace Alone' timestamp='1329159005' post='2386416']
What Order do they belong to?
[/quote]

Because this is so personal, I'd prefer not to reveal which order they are from. I'm trying not to get ahead of myself so I don't want to reveal too much. ;)

Thank you all for your prayers. I'm hesitant to tell many people about my discernment because my CRHP sisters think that I am no longer considering religious life. Until the Holy Spirit says otherwise, I'm keeping this on the down-low so that I can sort things out before making it public. I am beginning to wonder if this is the reason the Holy Spirit kept me from joining the Religious Sisters of Mercy AND why I discerned to be a Co-Spiritual Director for CRHP. The CRHP role that I have is one that the Core Team seriously prefers the same people to stay in for a year or more so they aren't constantly changing roles and having to re-learn everything all over again.

I'm taking my mom's advice and continuing on with my plans as if nothing is changing. She told me to go at it like I'm just getting information and not anything serious at this point. I am so glad she suggested that because I was really confused Saturday night. Each and every time I think that I've finally figured it out, God turns my world upside down again! But in a good way! I'll never ignore Him again. :nun2:

You must be excited to make these new friends! I am seriously not in any kind of position to tell people not to get ahead of themselves, so I won't say it! Enjoy the journey and tell as much as you feel like :)

I think it's wise to keep it quiet. I told pretty much everyone I ever met when I thought I was called to be a nun (I was an excited teenager, and not as mature as I thought I was!) and now I really regret doing that. Some things are too personal to be talked about, even if they're good.

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1329169798' post='2386541']I am beginning to wonder if this is the reason the Holy Spirit kept me from joining the Religious Sisters of Mercy AND why I discerned to be a Co-Spiritual Director for CRHP. The CRHP role that I have is one that the Core Team seriously prefers the same people to stay in for a year or more so they aren't constantly changing roles and having to re-learn everything all over again.
[/quote]

I wouldn't try to look for special reasons for everything that's been happening in your life. This kind of thinking often causes us to get obsessed with the future and what it might hold. I think you should let things happen for their own sake, if that makes sense. Be a thoughtful co-director for CRPH. Be grateful for your experiences with the RSM. But don't go beyond that and try to make these things fit into a specific pattern, because if you do that you may miss out on other valuable things that they hold for you and for others.

[quote name='beatitude' timestamp='1329225354' post='2386813']
I think it's wise to keep it quiet. I told pretty much everyone I ever met when I thought I was called to be a nun (I was an excited teenager, and not as mature as I thought I was!) and now I really regret doing that. Some things are too personal to be talked about, even if they're good.

I wouldn't try to look for special reasons for everything that's been happening in your life. This kind of thinking often causes us to get obsessed with the future and what it might hold. I think you should let things happen for their own sake, if that makes sense. Be a thoughtful co-director for CRPH. Be grateful for your experiences with the RSM. But don't go beyond that and try to make these things fit into a specific pattern, because if you do that you may miss out on other valuable things that they hold for you and for others.
[/quote]

You're right. I have a tendency to over-analyze things instead of letting them happen. That's a fault of mine. My mom does it, too, so I guess it brushed off on me. :hehe2:

Thanks for the advice.