An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Met A Sedevacantist In Person!

Aloysius

I [i]totally[/i] thought those only existed on the internet! What was even more surprising was that I didn't even meet him at any sort of traditional Catholic related event, but out in the random real world! statistically improbable, he was about the same age as I was and had a few other eccentricities about him, think along the thought processes of one Bishop Richard Williamson, and was altogether as shocked as I was to meet him that he was meeting someone who was well informed about sedevacantism.

I told him I prefered sedeprivationists to sedevacantists, even though I am neither. lol anyway, I found it all quite bizzare, because even among all the Latin Masses I've gone to and traditional Catholics that I have met, I had never actually met a sedevacantist before... and lo and behold, here at random I bumped into one at a Panera! Just goes to show, not [i]everyone[/i] on the internet is a fiction of our collective online imaginations.

[i]NB, it goes without saying that this thread is not meant to discuss or debate sedevacantism, but to illustrate how rare some of the more extreme opinions found widely represented on the internet are out in the real world.[/i]

One of my really good friends is sedevacantist. It is kind of a weird thing when I think about it, because such an obscure thing isn't so obscure to me and I feel.. priveleged?.. or something, when others have no idea what I'm talking about when I mention it to them. In our college discussion groups I do bring up sedevacantism every now and then just to use as an example for certain points.

I've always wanted to meet someone who was legitimately Buddhist. Not the hippy-college-girl-free-spirit kind of Buddhist, but someone who was actually raised in Buddhism. Not comparing Buddhism to sedevacantism.. It's just a rarity to me.

Edit: But of course I would most like to meet an old school Eastern Orthodox. Just been reading a bit more about the Eastern Churches lately.

Edited by Hubertus

You should have tried to sit next to him and said "Is this seat taken?"

Edited by USAirwaysIHS

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1329202158' post='2386788']
You should have tried to sit next to him and said "Is this seat taken?"
[/quote]

I see what you did there.

Basilisa Marie

I was once writing a paper on the Crusades at a Panera, and a lovely young Muslim woman sat down at the table next to me. I got super excited about the serendipity of it all. :)

You meet all kinds of people at Panera. ;)

lol I was just about to object when I realized that indeed I had. I think that was sometime around April of 2005, if I recall correctly. Oh those wild days of yore.

I'm glad you remember! I hope we don't go through a similar phase anytime soon.

I've never met a sedevacantist, but I have met some people who might as well have been sedevacantists or sedeprivationists. They were fairly popular at my undergraduate way back when.

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1329235247' post='2386887']
I was once writing a paper on the Crusades at a Panera...

[/quote]

There were crusades at a panera?

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Aloysius' timestamp='1329240091' post='2386930']
lol I was just about to object when I realized that indeed I had. I think that was sometime around April of 2005, if I recall correctly. Oh those wild days of yore.
[/quote]
One word:

humanure