An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Papist And Mikolbe And Anyone Born Before 1976 Thread

MIKolbe

homeschoolmom

Me too, but I do remember its lameness.

Yes, I fully remember it's lameness.

Trivia factoid: The main character's name was Hinkley, until they changed to to Hanley after the Reagan assassination attempt.

At least the theme song was pretty good.

Papist... you aren't THAT young, are you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duplicating_machines

Spirit duplicators

Main article: Spirit duplicator

The ditto machine (spirit duplicator) sold by Ditto, Inc. beginning in 1910, used two-ply "spirit masters" or "ditto masters". The top sheet could be typed, drawn, or written upon.[citation needed] The second sheet was coated with a layer of colored wax. The pressure of writing or typing on the top sheet transferred colored wax to its back side, producing a mirror image of the desired marks. (This acted like a reverse of carbon paper.) The wax-supply sheet was then removed and discarded, and the other sheet (containing the images) was fastened onto the drum of the (manual or electrical) machine, with the waxed (back, or reverse-image) side out.

The usual wax color was aniline purple, a cheap, moderately durable pigment that provided good contrast, though other colors were also available. Unlike mimeo, ditto had the useful ability to print multiple colors in a single pass, which made it popular with cartoonists. Spirit duplicators were incapable of double-sided printing, since the saturation of the paper with solvent inherent to the process would destroy a previously printed image. One well-made ditto master could at most print about 500 copies, far fewer than a mimeo stencil could manage. To produce further copies, an entirely new master would have to be reconstructed in the same way as the original master.

Notoriously, dittoed images would gradually fade with exposure to light[citation needed], limiting their usability for permanent labels and signage. Dittoed copies now pose a serious challenge to archivists responsible for document textual and artistic preservation.

1954_Ditto_ad_detail.jpg

Ahhh... there was NOTHING like the smell of a ditto machine, right HSM???

http://sugdenscholar.blogspot.com/2008/11/ditto-machine.html

homeschoolmom

What the heck is a ditto machine?

Are you kidding???

And NO, he's not too young. He's older than I am, and I learned how to use a spirit master copier in college. They had that wonderful alcohol smell on them for a short while off the press... Ahhh... very satisfying. :)

Are you kidding???

And NO, he's not too young. He's older than I am, and I learned how to use a spirit master copier in college. They had that wonderful alcohol smell on them for a short while off the press... Ahhh... very satisfying. :)

Ya know... HSM... I think we got pranked by that... OLD GUY.  

Really, Papist.... you didn't think we'd figure it out? 

(Well, granted, not at first, but once my coffee level stabilized....)

homeschoolmom

Ya know... HSM... I think we got pranked by that... OLD GUY.  

Really, Papist.... you didn't think we'd figure it out? 

(Well, granted, not at first, but once my coffee level stabilized....)

Bazinga.jpg

I have not had my usual level of Dr. Pepper today. :(

I have had a over abundance of cheesecake, which has probably dulled the senses. (I'm trying hard to avoid heavy drink on this: "Hasan and Winchester make fools of themselves" day.) :drunk: