An Old School Catholic Message Board

Leaving The Motherhouse

LaPetiteSoeur

LaPetiteSoeur

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2008/12/16/nyregion/20081216CONVENT_index.html?ref=nuns

I just teared up so much looking at this. Prayers for the sisters.

Oh my!!!!!!!!! Such a BEAUTIFUL Chapel! Poor Sisters. It must be hard for them. So many memories.

And they are going (possibly) to destroy that Chapel? My oh my..... sad, sad, sad.

Me too. So sad. What a lonely atmosphere in those pictures.

Maybe some NDs or DSMMEs can take over that beautiful convent building? I hope it doesn't get razed or sold for flats...

LaPetiteSoeur

It's in Brooklyn, so I'm sort of hoping the CFRs will take it over or maybe the SSVMs!

she_who_is_not

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1335225381' post='2422407']
It's in Brooklyn, so I'm sort of hoping the CFRs will take it over or maybe the SSVMs!
[/quote]

Let's all pray for this. What a great place for the Sisters of Life also!

I know this is going to sound really REALLY bad but....

These sisters are Sisters of Mercy. I have had more than a few experiences with them and the ones I have met are radical feminists. This empty convent is because they have no vocations. They have no vocations because the majority of them are femnists. Young women today are not interested in this radicalism let alone nuns who are, for the most part, disobient to the Magisterium.

Again, I know this sounds awful but this has been my experience. Yes, it is a beautiful chapel, and the grounds are lovely. I hope some well-deserving, faithful community of nuns (or priests) take it over.

Okay...I'll go hide now! :covereyes:

[quote name='ACS67' timestamp='1335239160' post='2422500']
I know this is going to sound really REALLY bad but....

These sisters are Sisters of Mercy. I have had more than a few experiences with them and the ones I have met are radical feminists. This empty convent is because they have no vocations. They have no vocations because the majority of them are femnists. Young women today are not interested in this radicalism let alone nuns who are, for the most part, disobient to the Magisterium.

Again, I know this sounds awful but this has been my experience. Yes, it is a beautiful chapel, and the grounds are lovely. I hope some well-deserving, faithful community of nuns (or priests) take it over.

Okay...I'll go hide now! :covereyes:
[/quote]

I agree. Jesus said himself that we are not of this world. In my opinion [u]Nuns are supposed to be the prime example of this![/u] I hope a traditional order gets the convent. It is so sad that the sisters of mercy haven't followed Christ the way they could have. If they had there would be more vocations and God would have prevented this from happening. So sad!!! :cry:

Nobody except God knows the reason why certain groups die out and others continue. Believe me, I thought the day would never come when I would be defending Roman Catholic sisters to a bunch of Roman Catholics, but I really don't think you can bandy about words like 'unfaithful'. The tender care that the sisters were giving the ones among them who were going away looked to be the exact opposite of that.

I'm siding with Marigold on this one, even though I can understand why some won't agree. I understand your concerns about the 'modernist' communities -- and if you are right, you won't have much to worry about in about 20 years.

However, a few other things....

First of all, it isn't that they aren't filling that building... they have lots of elderly sisters who would love the use of the building. The problm that the building is OLD and that it needs major code upgrades. The sisters have looked at what it would cost, and feel that they cannot justify using that money in that way when it could be used for their sisters and their ministries. I can think of a lot of saints who would agree with that logic. There are many times when this kind of choice has to be made -- I think even the Benedictines of Stanbrook made this sort of decision a few years back... a sad but necessary choice, they felt.

These sisters obviously value the building and living together... and letting go of those in its own way is a more radical poverty than I would want to imagine...

I know of one community of sisters whose motherhouse burned down in a fluke accident while it was being renovated. They prayed about it, and decided that it was a building, and that they couldn't justify repairing it at the cost it would have taken. They are getting some vocations... but not enough to fill the building built in the early 1900's when they were getting 50-100 sisters a year. So they made a hard decision - especially hard for the eldest nuns who had planned to be 'going home' for their last years - and they built a more modern, practical structure for the elder sisters and secured their welfare... and then they GAVE THE REST AWAY. Literally. They gave millions of dollars away in grants to many many programs, including seed money for our Diocese's Young Adult program, in which I was involved at the time. I'm not seeing too many communities doing that....

I have seen traditional sisters and less traditional sisters who live wonderful, faith-filled lives. Their vocations are different; I trust the judgement of the Church that some changes need to be made with some of the communities, and I believe that they will be made. And I would value and would prefer a more traditionally-minded community if I were searching... but I know of at least one candidate who chose one of those less traditional communities because they would TAKE her as an older vocation... the more traditional ones would not. And she is doing just fine... and I am sure God is pleased.

However... I've also seen some traditional, habited communities who treated sick and elderly sisters very badly. Like Marigold, I see God's love being demonstrated in the article....

My heart goes out to all of them... it must be very hard for the sisters and for those making the choices.

I agree that many of the Sisters of Mercy are publicly on the record with teachings that are against the faith and this is deplorable and needs to be fixed.

I am personally [i][u]super grateful[/u][/i] that the Holy Father has conducted formal investigations into the LCWR - it needs to be done.

I still feel for those who are loosing house and home. Just because I believe that reform needs to happen doesn't mean that I wish suffering upon others.

That and there is a big difference between the theology of the few who are in leadership and write articles etc.... and the Sister on the ground who is trying to help her fellow man. You can't put everyone in a big lump. Regardless, to wish the suffering on those (or rejoice in it) even if they are "against us" seems like a very un-Christ-like response.

Whoa! Matellata! I never said I wished suffering on these sisters or "rejoiced" in it. Don't read into my posts like that. And please don't state that I or anyone who disagrees with these sisters are "un-Christ-like." Christ was firm when he needed to be.

Ladies, please. I have a very VERY valid reason for speaking as I do. This articles if from the New York Times! The most liberal newspaper in the United States. Fr. Z calls it "Hell's Bible." Trust me, they try on purpose to tug at peoples emotions.

These sisters will be well taken care of because the diocese will provide for them, they always do.

I will get off this thread before I cause more disagreement.

Pax et bonum

Edited by ACS67

dominicansoul

"...the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away.. Blessed Be the Lord...."

These kind of things do happen because of the unfaithfullness to the magisterium... sorry, but being passive about the damage liberal communities have done to the Church isn't the solution... we have to take a stance just like the Vatican is... we do not wish harm to these communities, but when they are not attracting anymore vocations BECAUSE of their unfaithfulness, truly, they are bringing harm upon themselves... these communities die BECAUSE they are not living authentic religious life...and these things are bound to happen... but I do pray that before they leave this earth, they make their peace with teh Magisterium and with the Lord they vowed to serve...