An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mantillas?

LaPetiteSoeur

inunionwithrome

I sometimes still fight through feeling uncomfortable. However, the mantilla is not about what others think. It is about glorifying Jesus with an outward sign and helping us to keep our focus on Him. I have both a white and a black one. From my understanding, the white is for those who are single and unmarried. It also symbolizes purity. All of the girls on their First Holy Communion wear a white veil symbolizing purity. It is also my understanding that you MUST wear a black veil in the presence of the Pope!! I don't know why, but only a few ladies have been granted the priviledge of wearing a white one in the Pope's presence. I have also noted that on a few Sunday's where I forgot my veil, I did not concentrate well. I also wear the black one for Reconciliation and during Lent. Perhaps, Advent this year too as they are both Liturgical times of purifying our hearts before God. I wore the white again when Easter came! So, it is a personal devotion. The guy you were talking about probably does this because no woman went into a church without covering her head. Even our Jewish ancestors had head coverings and the men and the women were seperated by some form of a wall from my understanding. Check out a Zenit Article on ETWN for further information. It is by Fr. McNamara I believe. Hope this helps!

[quote name='beatitude' timestamp='1335966925' post='2426050']
Ironically, they expect me to be this judgmental ultra-traditionalist who carts around a full set of the Divine Office in Latin solely for the purpose of crushing heretics to death with it[/quote]

I don't see the problem with this :|. Crushing heretics to death with Latin liturgical books? SOUNDS AMESOME! I totally wish I was a girl so that I could wear a veil and crush heretics with Latin books! Lol ok enough joking :).

In all seriousness I love when my wife wears a veil. She two: a light blue and a brown. I got her the light blue to wear on Marian feast days and the brown to wear on regular days. Typically though she forgets to grab one what with all the crazyness of a baby and never having gotten into the habit of it. (hah, habit, veils, I bet there is a pun there somewhere...)

Edited by Slappo

LaPetiteSoeur

Well, it came in today and I wore it for a short trip to the Catholic Center to regroup after exams. It was kind of nice. No one was there except for the custodian, so it wasn't so totally overwhelming.

I think the reason I hesitated for so long getting one is because people already think that I'm some crazy Catholic who is going to go all "judgy-judge" on them just because. (this was a quote from a friend). Those who get to know me know that I don't do that, and I guess I was just afraid more people would see me for something that I'm not.

But then, that's a bit of a ridiculous fear, since really, what does it matter? I know that I don't judge others and I know that I act out of compassion, and if someone wants to judge by externals, that's their business.

This turned into a rant, but I really wanted to say thank you to all of you!!

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1336503300' post='2428757']
Where did you get yours from?
[/quote]
veils and mantillas. It's run by a friend of Cheriemadame's, I think. They weren't expensive, and mine is very pretty!

FutureCarmeliteClaire

razzle dazzle! They were gorgeous. I'm glad you like it!!

• 1 month later...

Just came across this link: http://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/studio/vellemere

Really beautiful items :)

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1341269320' post='2451663']
Just came across this link: [url="http://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/studio/vellemere"]http://www.artfire.c...tudio/vellemere[/url]

Really beautiful items :)
[/quote]

Women get all the cool stuff. Us men have to make due with our hair and an ounce of shampoo. :french:

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1341269523' post='2451665']
Women get all the cool stuff. Us men have to make due with our hair and an ounce of shampoo. :french:
[/quote]

I would not say that. Men get to be priest.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1341269606' post='2451666']
shampoo isn't necessary, you know.
[/quote]

Greasy hair is preferable?

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1341274334' post='2451689']
I would not say that. Men get to be priest.
[/quote]

But I ask you: Do Priests get cool headgear? Nope. You have to be a Bishop, Cardinal or Pope to get that cool stuff. Though the Priests on Going My Way figured out how to cheat the system.

Maximilianus

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1341275827' post='2451700']

But I ask you: Do Priests get cool headgear?
[/quote]

Yes, they do, and if you don't know what I'm talking about you haven't done enough research, and I'm not talking about bishops and such.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Maximilianus' timestamp='1341276803' post='2451715']
Yes, they do, and if you don't know what I'm talking about you haven't done enough research, and I'm not talking about bishops and such.
[/quote]

I haven't done enough research on Priests and headgear? Priestly/Religious attire is not my main concern when it comes to my vocation you vain Roman. :french:

Edited by FuturePriest387

Maximilianus

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1341276991' post='2451717']
I haven't done enough research on Priests and headgear? Priestly/Religious attire is not my main concern when it comes to my vocation you vain Roman. :french:
[/quote]

you iconoclast

Edited by Maximilianus

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Maximilianus' timestamp='1341277036' post='2451720']

you iconoclast
[/quote]

That's actually only partly true anyway. If a community doesn't wear I habit I don't look into them, as is recommended by trusted clerical associates.

Now, let's get back to what this thread is about: Washing your hair with vinegar.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1341275827' post='2451700']
But I ask you: Do Priests get cool headgear? Nope. You have to be a Bishop, Cardinal or Pope to get that cool stuff. Though the Priests on Going My Way figured out how to cheat the system.
[/quote]

[img]http://the-american-catholic.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/fr-james-ramsey-cappello-romano-top-view.jpg[/img]