An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dta's Countdown Thread

Deus te Amat

Do you know how to sew and have a free afternoon? I made mine (in white) for less than $3 of fabric in one afternoon. But I know time is more valuable than money at the moment.

Here you go!!!!!!!! [url="http://www.herroom.com/farr-west-750-23-cotton-batiste-23-inch-half-slip.shtml"]http://www.herroom.com/farr-west-750-23-cotton-batiste-23-inch-half-slip.shtml[/url]

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1343389906' post='2459292']
Do you know how to sew and have a free afternoon? I made mine (in white) for less than $3 of fabric in one afternoon. But I know time is more valuable than money at the moment.

Here you go!!!!!!!! [url="http://www.herroom.com/farr-west-750-23-cotton-batiste-23-inch-half-slip.shtml"]http://www.herroom.c...half-slip.shtml[/url]
[/quote]

These are the ones I found, too, but they don't have the slit that she needs. About the only thing I was able to come up with in black was culotte slips. I also found websites where you can have slips made-to-order.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' timestamp='1343358882' post='2459216']
Knee length cotton black slips, with a slit for running.

Help.
[/quote]

Can you use culotte or pettipant slips? I was not able to find any pre-made black cotton slips with the slit, but there were a few choices in black cotton pettipants which would help with running. The other alternative is to place an order for a made-to-order slip. Here are a few choices:

[url="http://www.amazon.com/Ilusion-Womens-Cotton-Pettipants-Pant/dp/B001UTI2VO"]Ilusion Women's Cotton Pettipants [/url]

[url="http://sewingwithgrandma.com/?wpsc_product_category=cotton-slips"]Sewing with Grandma -- made-to-order cotton slips[/url]

Thanks, Mater- I missed that! So very specific.

Potential 5-minute solution: cut a ~4 inch slit in the back, fold under the exposed edges, and zig-zag. If you don't have a machine, I bet one of the church ladies does and would be more than happy to do that.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1343394336' post='2459303']
Thanks, Mater- I missed that! So very specific.

Potential 5-minute solution: cut a ~4 inch slit in the back, fold under the exposed edges, and zig-zag. If you don't have a machine, I bet one of the church ladies does and would be more than happy to do that.
[/quote]

That's a great idea. :)

HopefulBride

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1343389906' post='2459292']

Here you go!!!!!!!! [url="http://www.herroom.com/farr-west-750-23-cotton-batiste-23-inch-half-slip.shtml"]http://www.herroom.c...half-slip.shtml[/url]
[/quote]

Lisa,

Do you mind sharing the pattern that you used?

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' timestamp='1343439272' post='2459532']
Tell me about it.

And there are still so many books to reread!
[/quote]

I'm wondering, if I am asked to enter this year before November, how I'm going to cope without seeing the second part of Breaking Dawn. That, to me, will probably be a big surrender. :P

[b]Hopeful- or anyone else that needs a slip pattern. This is really not that hard at all, I've just explained it in a lot of detail for those that have never sewn before.[/b]

You'll need: 1 yard of 44/45 inch (standard width) muslin, cotton, cotton poly, or batiste fabric- ask at the fabric store. I used a "premium muslin," which softens when washed. It probably would need to be a little more than a yard for those that are taller. You'll also need about 1 yard of 1/4" elastic.

Double the fabric, connecting the selvage (self finished edge, it usually has bumps or a little fringe) on the left side. Measure somewhere between your waist and your hips. Add about 10 inches. Divide by 2. So, if you have a 34 inch "low waist," add 10= 44, and divide by 2=22". That's how big the top part will be. In the top few inches of the fabric, with a fabric marking pen or regular pencil, draw a horizontal line that long. You might choose to dip down a bit, making a concave arch so the fabric doesn't bunch as much.

Now, using a measuring tape or ruler, measure down about 27". For most people, that will make an approximately knee-length skirt. [i]If you want to double check, measure from just below your belly button to where you want the skirt to fall (knee, just above or below, etc.). Add about 3". [/i]

At about 27" down below your first line, draw another horizontal (or slightly concave arch) line. This can be any width, but for running and playing, I'd recommend that it be at least a 30-35" line. That will make a skirt with a 60-70" round knee circumference... remember, you'll be genuflecting and soccer kicking in this.

Now, connect the ends of the top (waist) line to the bottom. This will form a trapezoid. Cut out both the top and bottom pieces (it's doubled, remember).

Placing right sides (what you want to be the outside. For muslin, there might not be an obvious "good side") together -this will look inside out- pin down both the angled sides. Sew a 3/8" seam down both sides. You could do a larger seam, but on a slip, you probably don't want the bulk. This will leave you with an open top and an open bottom. That's good; it's what you want. Now, go back with a zig-zag stitch (or a serger, if you've got one) and sew along the edge of the side seams- that will keep it from raveling.

Change back to a straight stitch. Now, you'll start the turn down waistband. Your skirt is still inside-out. You're still seeing the side seams. On the top of your skirt, turn down 1/4" towards the outer edge (which is really the inside of the skirt). Iron this in place. Then, turn down another 1/2" over the top of the first. Iron this and pin it. You shouldn't be able to see any exposed edges of the waistband now. Now, sew carefully on the bottom part of that fold, around the circular waistband. You'll want to be about 1/8" away from the bottom edge (so, about 3/8" inch from the top). But, as you go around, leave about a 1" hole without stitching. That's how you'll get your elastic into the tube you've just created.

Turn your skirt right side out so the seams are all on the inside. Get your elastic (and if you have an elastic runner, get that too. If not, grab a safety pin and attach it to one end of your elastic). Put that through the hole, pushing it all the way around the waistband and back out the hole. Grab ahold of both ends of the elastic. If you need to, place a pin in it so the elastic doesn't slip back inside. Step into your skirt, still holding on to both ends of the elastic. Gather and stretch the elastic until it fits firmly and snuggly against your tummy. Pin both pieces of elastic together there (the best way to do this is to make sure they overlap one on top of the other (not an X shape- it will work, but will be less comfortable). Now, stretch the elastic and place it under the sewing machine. This is a bit tricky, but basically, any way you can stitch the two pieces together works.

Try it on again and make sure it still fits. Adjust, sewing the elastic again, as necessary. Cut off the extra elastic. Handstitch or carefully machine stitch the hole together so the elastic is covered. To prevent the elastic from rolling, conisder stitching a few short vertical lines every so often over the elastic in the waistband.

Onto the hem. Turning the skirt back inside out, turn 1" up from the bottom towards the side of the skirt with the side seams (which is really the inside, but you're seeing this as the outside. Iron this in place. Then, turn up 1" again. Iron and pin. Now, sew carefully along the top edges of the fold (a little less than an inch away from the bottom of the skirt.) Sew all the way around.

Turn your slip right side out. You're finished!

Oh goodness, that looks intimidating. Sorry about that. It's really not hard, I promise!!!!!!! I just went into obscene detail. Patterns usually come with pictures that make them much easier to understand!!!

HopefulBride

Thanks very much Lisa. I need to get back to the little things on my list when I get back home.