An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dta's Countdown Thread

Deus te Amat

Wow! Eight days! Congrats, DTA!

I don't know about sewing a tag on. Perhaps you can write your name on a rectangle of cloth and, with a needle and thread, hand-stitch the short edges to the inside of the band of the sock? ...If it were me and, were I permitted, I would just embroider my name into them.

Maximilianus

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' timestamp='1344362043' post='2464065']
8 days!

Anyone know the best way to seW name tags into socks?
[/quote]

In the Corps we stamped our names on our socks... and hats, and shirts, and skivvies, and belts, and undershirts, and shirts, and trousers, and ties, and coats, and...

we had name tapes on our utility blouses and trousers though.

none of this is helpful to you, I know, but I couldn't let you leave with posting on here.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' timestamp='1344362043' post='2464065']
8 days!

Anyone know the best way to seW name tags into socks?
[/quote]

My mom used to put labels on our family friend's clothing before she passed away because the nursing home was always losing stuff. She went to Walmart or Joann's and bought some no-sew clothing labels that you iron on. You can get a permanent clothing marker and write your initials instead of sewing individual tags. It's much easier and they stay on very well.

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' timestamp='1344014836' post='2462141']
Of course! :bounce:

:annoyed:

Tons. :twitch:

Two things.
1) I just asked if MS's sister could hypothetically pick me up at the airport. Now that she's all grown up and all. :)
2) if anyone besides Lil Red wants my address, send me a PM. Prayer requests would be fulfilled! (with prayer -- I'm not God).
[/quote]

Hi DTA

I think your inbox may be full as Phatmass says you cannot receive any new messages. :(

Edited by Lil'Nun

Don't sew at all -- use a Sharpie .... really!

Or embroider your initials - those little tags end up bunching up in those industrial dryers so that they are impossible to read. :)

Sharpie is the fastest......

OnlySunshine

[quote name='mantellata' timestamp='1344367058' post='2464091']
Don't sew at all -- use a Sharpie .... really!

Or embroider your initials - those little tags end up bunching up in those industrial dryers so that they are impossible to read. :)

Sharpie is the fastest......
[/quote]

My family friend lived in a nursing home that had industrial washers and dryers and the tags never came off or bunched up. The only thing we had to do was use a Sharpie to rewrite her initials sometimes, which was very rare. :)

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1344374093' post='2464132']
My family friend lived in a nursing home that had industrial washers and dryers and the tags never came off or bunched up. The only thing we had to do was use a Sharpie to rewrite her initials sometimes, which was very rare. :)
[/quote]

I want that nursing home's industrial washers......

Or rather wanted.... it would have saved me some uncomfortable tootsies!

Deus te Amat

[quote name='Lil'Nun' timestamp='1344366129' post='2464086']

Hi DTA

I think your inbox may be full as Phatmass says you cannot receive any new messages. :(
[/quote]

Fixed. :)

Re the tags -- I already have the labels -- I'm just sewing them in. If they fall off I will use sharpie. I'm just stumped on sewing them on unstretched socks when the stitches will stretch when wearing. Any ideas?

MissScripture

Stretch them and then sew while they're stretched? The tags will end up bunched up then, but at least they won't rip when you put them on? :idontknow: My mom didn't seem to be much help when I asked her...

Deus te Amat

[quote name='she_who_is_not' timestamp='1344387718' post='2464234']
I would use the iron on tags, but I don't know if you are allowed to do that.
[/quote]

We're not... Thanks thought! (the iron ons don't stay on in the industrial washer)

You know, I'm probably making a mountain out of a molehill. It's probably just the normal way of sewing. Hehe.

Sew them on up and down (so one end is pointing the toe, the other is toward the top of the sock.) They look funny but bunch less; they don't stretch as much that way.

Edited by Lisa

TheresaThoma

I would also suggest maybe an elastic type thread it might help with the stretchy issue. Otherwise just you good sturdy thread.