An Old School Catholic Message Board

Upsetting News

OnlySunshine

Were they perhaps so averse to confrontation that they couldn't be honest with her about her personality being a poor fit? I have heard of similar situations with older vocations. And only after entrance do they gin up their courage to tell the candidate no. Meanwhile possessions have been sold or given away, jobs quit, leases terminated, and so forth. It's so unfair to the candidate.

Praying for your friend and her peace.

Spem in alium

That must be a very difficult thing for your friend to bear. I will keep her in my thoughts and intentions.

May the Lord be with her and help her to achieve true happiness and peace.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Maggie' timestamp='1336432405' post='2428297']
Were they perhaps so averse to confrontation that they couldn't be honest with her about her personality being a poor fit? I have heard of similar situations with older vocations. And only after entrance do they gin up their courage to tell the candidate no. Meanwhile possessions have been sold or given away, jobs quit, leases terminated, and so forth. It's so unfair to the candidate.

Praying for your friend and her peace.
[/quote]

I hate to speculate, but it really does make me wonder. I have that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach because of this. She is such a nice lady and I hate to see her go through this. If she comes back, she won't have any place to live. She'll have to job search in this horrible state (job wise). UGH! Please, God, help her stay and try a bit longer before any final decision is made.

Sister Marie

I'm so sorry to hear that about your friend. Something similar happened to an older woman I knew before I entered. She had visited this community a bunch of times. They talked about what ministry she would be able to do when she entered, where she would be living (they lived in smaller convents with the professed sisters), and when she could enter. She had completed her whole application and was waiting for an answer and never got one. Weeks went by, then a month, and finally they told her no she couldn't come. She had already sold her house and quit her job. The biggest let down was that all she wanted was to be a sister... It was a real heartbreak for her.

After that though, as hard as it was, she found that it had all been in God's plan. She got a job as a nurse in a place where she truly felt that she was ministering to the poor and needy and she kept her life and finances very simple. When I last saw her she was so happy that the grace of the process, however painful, had really freed her up to allow more room for God.

We can be assured that God uses all things for good. I am so sorry for her suffering now though.

I don't know why this happens sometimes in religious life but I will certainly pray for your friend that God's will be done.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Sister Marie' timestamp='1336434786' post='2428315']
I'm so sorry to hear that about your friend. Something similar happened to an older woman I knew before I entered. She had visited this community a bunch of times. They talked about what ministry she would be able to do when she entered, where she would be living (they lived in smaller convents with the professed sisters), and when she could enter. She had completed her whole application and was waiting for an answer and never got one. Weeks went by, then a month, and finally they told her no she couldn't come. She had already sold her house and quit her job. The biggest let down was that all she wanted was to be a sister... It was a real heartbreak for her.

After that though, as hard as it was, she found that it had all been in God's plan. She got a job as a nurse in a place where she truly felt that she was ministering to the poor and needy and she kept her life and finances very simple. When I last saw her she was so happy that the grace of the process, however painful, had really freed her up to allow more room for God.

We can be assured that God uses all things for good. I am so sorry for her suffering now though.

I don't know why this happens sometimes in religious life but I will certainly pray for your friend that God's will be done.
[/quote]

Thank you, Sr. Marie, for your kind words. I wish I was with my friend to give her comfort in the form of a hug and a prayer. It's so hard to be so many miles apart when she really needs some support. I can only pray that Jesus will wrap her in His loving arms and console her the way only He knows how.

Before she left, she remarked that if this didn't work out, she'd consider going to Israel to work in the refugee camps. I don't know if she really meant it because she said it jokingly, but I hope she won't lose all hope in serving God even if she can't as a religious. I know her calling is out there somewhere. :)

IamMyBeloveds

My heart truly breaks for her!

Please let her know that we are praying for her. I cannot even imagine what anguish and loneliness she must feel right now living in community feeling so unwanted there and having to endure it all.

...Only 5 days and a decision made already? That just doesn't sit right with me.

Prayers for all involved.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

So many prayers, how hard and painful. I am so sorry, send her our best wishes.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='IamMyBeloveds' timestamp='1336445057' post='2428420']
My heart truly breaks for her!

Please let her know that we are praying for her. I cannot even imagine what anguish and loneliness she must feel right now living in community feeling so unwanted there and having to endure it all.

...Only 5 days and a decision made already? That just doesn't sit right with me.

Prayers for all involved.
[/quote]

Thank you, dear friend. 5 days is just not a good amount of time. If it were 5 months or 5 weeks even, it'd be a different story, but this doesn't sit right with me either. I really hope they are giving her more time. Hopefully, I'll know more soon. :(

BarbTherese

Prayers!
My heart goes out to her and may The Lord quickly reveal to her His Plan and may she find all consolation there and soon.

maximillion

Yes, without knowing the full situation this is hard to understand, but even so 5 days is nothing, especially if she did a live in too.......
Can't help but be puzzled and feel a little defensive for or on her behalf.........

Prayers, prayers. She must be so devastated. May the Holy Mother comfort her.

OnlySunshine

Something is not right. My friend just tried to call me and, when I picked up, there was no answer. She told my CRHP sister not to call her by her religious name anymore. I think she is trying to tell me she is coming home. :sad:

I just texted her again, so hopefully, I will get an answer. She has been texting my CRHP sister and I think she thinks my home phone is my cell phone. Please pray that she reads and responds to my text message.

OnlySunshine

Well, just to update everyone who has been praying, please continue to pray. I just received word tonight that my friend is, indeed, leaving the Sisters and returning home. She could be coming back this week or next week. I still have been unable to reach her myself so I can't talk to her. All I can do is pray for her. She is adamant that she is not going to discern anymore and NO ONE is to call her by her religious name. Something is terribly wrong. I wish I could be there to console her right now. I want to tell her so badly that this is not the end of the world. God does have something wonderful planned for her even if she can't see it at this present moment. Having been through a similar situation of being led on, I can sympathize with her. It really feels like a dagger hits you in the heart. I hope she returns safely. I also pray that she doesn't retreat from the world and Church because of this. This is a time when you need friends the most even though all you want to do is get away from everyone. My CRHP sister already invited her to be part of their current Team 2, so I hope she accepts or even decides to take part in our Bible Study.

Prayers please!!!

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1336529637' post='2428974']
Well, just to update everyone who has been praying, please continue to pray. I just received word tonight that my friend is, indeed, leaving the Sisters and returning home. She could be coming back this week or next week. I still have been unable to reach her myself so I can't talk to her. All I can do is pray for her. She is adamant that she is not going to discern anymore and NO ONE is to call her by her religious name. Something is terribly wrong. I wish I could be there to console her right now. I want to tell her so badly that this is not the end of the world. God does have something wonderful planned for her even if she can't see it at this present moment. Having been through a similar situation of being led on, I can sympathize with her. It really feels like a dagger hits you in the heart. I hope she returns safely. I also pray that she doesn't retreat from the world and Church because of this. This is a time when you need friends the most even though all you want to do is get away from everyone. My CRHP sister already invited her to be part of their current Team 2, so I hope she accepts or even decides to take part in our Bible Study.

Prayers please!!!
[/quote]

I am glad that she has friends like you to help her Mater!

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Maggie' timestamp='1336534237' post='2428988']
I am glad that she has friends like you to help her Mater!
[/quote]

Thank you, Maggie. :)