An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discalced Carmelite Nun Communities

Guest vent801

inperpetuity

I am wondering about Lake Elmo.  Does anyone have experience with them or know anything that hasn't been mentioned on previous threads which is practically nothing?  They don't have an internet presence and that I think is a good sign, but I wish there was something.  I am interested in them primarily because they have the Carmelite hermits nearby.  I did send an email to them, but haven't heard back yet.

Chiara Francesco

I am wondering about Lake Elmo.  Does anyone have experience with them or know anything that hasn't been mentioned on previous threads which is practically nothing?  They don't have an internet presence and that I think is a good sign, but I wish there was something.  I am interested in them primarily because they have the Carmelite hermits nearby.  I did send an email to them, but haven't heard back yet.

If no answer from your email, I'd send a snail mail letter.  It wouldn't be the first time an order with only an email address do not respond.  It wouldn't be because they are rude or uncaring, but more like it's just not used much.  It's happend to me a few times and the sisters apologize and say they were going to unlist the email address.  Lake Elmo, like most traditional orders/communities like this prefer snail mail I've found - unless you are writing to another country, etc., but even THEN some prefer snail mail.

Just a suggestion.

"Chiquitunga" knows about them to some degree I believe.

inperpetuity

Thanks, CF, your probably right about them not using it, I guess I will just have to break down and write.  Chiqui, are you reading this?  Do you know anything about them? I wish I could find a picture of their monastery even.

Chiquitunga

Hi inperpetuity! We've already emailed, but I thought I'd reply here too. Lake Elmo Carmel definitely has no internet connection or email address just to make sure everyone knows. It was the Carmelite Hermits, a short walk away, whom she emailed she meant :like: They are their chaplains and yes, they are extremely blessed indeed to have them. I have heard their Liturgy is always reverent and contemplative. They are blessed also to be friends with Fr. Robert Altier and Fr. James Kubicki, SJ among many other great priests I am sure.

I added a couple pamphlets from there to the picasa album - https://picasaweb.google.com/112954809546652959393/CarmelOfOurLadyOfDivineProvidenceLakeElmoMN#  The first one older, the second more recent that a friend shared with me. They are practically identical except on the more recent one it says their age limit is 18 - 30. There was however a different Prioress at the time that pamphlet was printed. Now it is the former one (often Carmels switch off on Prioresses, at least in Iron Mt & St. Louis it seems to be every 3 years) Anyway, so you might still consider asking them. 

They have a couple Christendom grads - http://www.christendom.edu/alumni/vocations.php  I love the story here about one of them!  :hehe: (search Carmelite) http://www.christendom.edu/alumni/grapevineonline/GV2005/september05.html

Some pictures taken by a seminarian of their chapel and monastery ~ http://tinyurl.com/kdnmegk

inperpetuity

Thanks Chiqui, and thanks for clarifying the fact that I did write to the monks.  I read an old post today by Emmaberry about how she initially had no attraction to the monastery she ultimately entered or even the community.  I have no real attraction to this Carmel although they seem like a good one.  I do like how Padre Pio named their monastery and the fact that they have a cemetery, :lol: Their chapel is :icey: and it looks like the tabernacle is in the grill, so that's interesting. 

Chiquitunga

One thing that would be great about living in such a simple newer monastery is that it would be a lot easier to clean and taken care of I would imagine. It's all up to what He wants though of course :pray:

A couple listings on eBay with some great pictures I thought I'd share. This is from the Incarnation in Avila ~ http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Life-of-Carmelite-NUNS-1929-Photos-Vaussard-/130925832648?ViewItem=&ssPageName=ADME%3AX%3ARTQ%3AUS%3A1123&item=130925832648&nma=true&si=o3O2Mo9CcTuNoHZM04vtLc38DG0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557%C2%A0  & Le Reposoir which is a Carmel that took over a former Carthusian Monastery ~ http://www.ebay.com/itm/NUNS-Reposoir-Monastery-1964-Lescuyer-Pictorial-Alessandra-di-Rudinis-Carmel/141001334826?_trksid=p2047675.m1985&_trkparms=aid%3D444000%26algo%3DSOI.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D16381%26meid%3D8568264967820668429%26pid%3D100012%26prg%3D7787%26rk%3D4%26sd%3D130925832648%26

Hi inperpetuity! We've already emailed, but I thought I'd reply here too. Lake Elmo Carmel definitely has no internet connection or email address just to make sure everyone knows. It was the Carmelite Hermits, a short walk away, whom she emailed she meant :like: They are their chaplains and yes, they are extremely blessed indeed to have them. I have heard their Liturgy is always reverent and contemplative. They are blessed also to be friends with Fr. Robert Altier and Fr. James Kubicki, SJ among many other great priests I am sure.

I added a couple pamphlets from there to the picasa album - https://picasaweb.google.com/112954809546652959393/CarmelOfOurLadyOfDivineProvidenceLakeElmoMN#  The first one older, the second more recent that a friend shared with me. They are practically identical except on the more recent one it says their age limit is 18 - 30. There was however a different Prioress at the time that pamphlet was printed. Now it is the former one (often Carmels switch off on Prioresses, at least in Iron Mt & St. Louis it seems to be every 3 years) Anyway, so you might still consider asking them. 

They have a couple Christendom grads - http://www.christendom.edu/alumni/vocations.php  I love the story here about one of them!  :hehe: (search Carmelite) http://www.christendom.edu/alumni/grapevineonline/GV2005/september05.html

Some pictures taken by a seminarian of their chapel and monastery ~ http://tinyurl.com/kdnmegk

Thank you for both of these - I've been really curious about the Lake Elmo Community

VeniJesuAmorMi

I have experienced this very thing that you talk about here and I have been out of the monastery for years.  Thank you for your prayers, I will pray for you as well.

I am thankful for those prayers. :) May God reward you also for your perseverance; I know He will. I hope you find soon where He is calling you to best love and serve Him. I know it can be such a temptation to look ahead to where this might be and forget about the present moment that He is asking us to love Him. I think of the wedding feast at Cana, when our Blessed Mother saw that they needed more wine and asked Jesus for them. Its what She does for us also. Being the most compassionate and attentive Mother, that when She sees our needs (even at those times when we may not be sure what we should be asking for) she asks for us and also presents to Jesus our desires and longings. Then Her words comes to us, "Do whatever He tells you." Hopefully we will imitate more of Her attentiveness to His voice in our hearts and Her surrender to His will. We are so blessed to have Her motherly care and intercession.

O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to Thee. :pray:

VeniJesuAmorMi

Just a suggestion, but the South Dakota Carmel would be a good option also (if you haven't contacted before, and you certainly don't have to answer that. :)) You probably know about them already, but they aren't as strict on their age limit as they consider older vocations. I know currently they have a lot of Sisters and are planning another foundation in North Dakota soon (which is great!) Maybe though they are still accepting entrances. I know they have made the suggestion that those who contact them that are further away should look into other Carmels that need vocations.

inperpetuity

Thanks VJAM, I am only a 6 hour drive from them.  I did contact them and they are actually my first preference.

inperpetuity

I am thankful for those prayers. :) May God reward you also for your perseverance; I know He will. I hope you find soon where He is calling you to best love and serve Him. I know it can be such a temptation to look ahead to where this might be and forget about the present moment that He is asking us to love Him. I think of the wedding feast at Cana, when our Blessed Mother saw that they needed more wine and asked Jesus for them. Its what She does for us also. Being the most compassionate and attentive Mother, that when She sees our needs (even at those times when we may not be sure what we should be asking for) she asks for us and also presents to Jesus our desires and longings. Then Her words comes to us, "Do whatever He tells you." Hopefully we will imitate more of Her attentiveness to His voice in our hearts and Her surrender to His will. We are so blessed to have Her motherly care and intercession.

O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to Thee. :pray:

I here you.  I have spent several years working on those things that made it so difficult for me not to run when the splinters of the cross began to make themselves felt as St. Maravillas said.  I am so grateful that one particular priest was placed in my path who God used for this purpose.  These were times when I had to lay aside all aspirations for the religious life and focus on living a life of prayer and growing in virtue.  It was not easy.  I finally feel that the time has come where I can actually say, Thy Will Be Done, and mean it, and yes I want this, but I want Your will more.  So I have consecrated my life along with all of my desires to Our Lady and am doing a novena to her under the title of Our Mother of Perpetual Help for her to bring my vocation to fruition according to her son's will.  You are right, she is the Mediatrix of All Grace and the cause of our joy!  :smile2:

inperpetuity

One thing that would be great about living in such a simple newer monastery is that it would be a lot easier to clean and taken care of I would imagine. It's all up to what He wants though of course :pray:

A couple listings on eBay with some great pictures I thought I'd share. This is from the Incarnation in Avila ~ http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Life-of-Carmelite-NUNS-1929-Photos-Vaussard-/130925832648?ViewItem=&ssPageName=ADME%3AX%3ARTQ%3AUS%3A1123&item=130925832648&nma=true&si=o3O2Mo9CcTuNoHZM04vtLc38DG0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557%C2%A0  & Le Reposoir which is a Carmel that took over a former Carthusian Monastery ~ http://www.ebay.com/itm/NUNS-Reposoir-Monastery-1964-Lescuyer-Pictorial-Alessandra-di-Rudinis-Carmel/141001334826?_trksid=p2047675.m1985&_trkparms=aid%3D444000%26algo%3DSOI.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D16381%26meid%3D8568264967820668429%26pid%3D100012%26prg%3D7787%26rk%3D4%26sd%3D130925832648%26

Thanks for these.  Since you mentioned the Reposoir, have you ever read, "Three White Veils for Sandra?  Ok let me just say that if she can become a Carmelite and then a foundress, anyone can if God calls them.  You can get this book cheap on www.biblio.com or check Amazon, but Amazon is usually more expensive.  I would love to blow up the pictures of the Reposoir and hang them on my wall!  It looks so beautiful and tranquil.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

I read Three White Veils for Sarah about 25 years ago in my first novitiate and have never found the book since. I was beginning to think it was in my imagination!