An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discalced Carmelite Nun Communities

Guest vent801

inperpetuity

That book is such a testament to the power of God's mercy and love.  I loved what she wrote when her confessor asked her to describe why she wanted to enter the convent.  I can't remember it and I gave the book away thinking I would just get another one, but I know it made a deep impression on me.

VeniJesuAmorMi

I haven't heard of this book before. Would you share a little of what its about? My guess is that she struggled but finally persevered; that would be a very good read. Thanks! :)

inperpetuity

Just a suggestion, but the South Dakota Carmel would be a good option also (if you haven't contacted before, and you certainly don't have to answer that. :)) You probably know about them already, but they aren't as strict on their age limit as they consider older vocations. I know currently they have a lot of Sisters and are planning another foundation in North Dakota soon (which is great!) Maybe though they are still accepting entrances. I know they have made the suggestion that those who contact them that are further away should look into other Carmels that need vocations.

Here is a picture of them from the diocesan website.  They have 7 novices and 1 postulant, probably 2 by now because one was entering in May and this was from February:  Click on the 4th link under Sister's picture then Scroll down to page 8 http://www.sfcatholic.org/Search.aspx?cx=016411775599899361575%3Akrcqql6u61o&cof=FORID%3A11&ie=UTF-8&q=Carmelite%20nuns&sa=Search

I know there must be an easier way to do this but I'm still trying to figure out windows 8 which I despise, and I'm in a hurry.

VeniJesuAmorMi

I here you.  I have spent several years working on those things that made it so difficult for me not to run when the splinters of the cross began to make themselves felt as St. Maravillas said.  I am so grateful that one particular priest was placed in my path who God used for this purpose.  These were times when I had to lay aside all aspirations for the religious life and focus on living a life of prayer and growing in virtue.  It was not easy.  I finally feel that the time has come where I can actually say, Thy Will Be Done, and mean it, and yes I want this, but I want Your will more.  So I have consecrated my life along with all of my desires to Our Lady and am doing a novena to her under the title of Our Mother of Perpetual Help for her to bring my vocation to fruition according to her son's will.  You are right, she is the Mediatrix of All Grace and the cause of our joy!  :smile2:

That's so beautiful; thanks for your witness! That is a beautiful place to be. :)

I was born on June 27th, the feast day of Our Lady of Perpetual Help. I joke around with my mother about it because when I was born everyone said I wanted to be different because my sister was born on November 26th, my brother April 26th, and I came on June 27th. I just say that I wanted to wait another day so I could be born on one of our Blessed Mother's feast days. I should have started my novena already; thanks for bringing this up! I'll have to start my novena prayer to Her today. I'm a little late but I don't think She'll mind. :saint2:

VeniJesuAmorMi

Here is a picture of them from the diocesan website.  They have 7 novices and 1 postulant, probably 2 by now because one was entering in May and this was from February:  Click on the 4th link under Sister's picture then Scroll down to page 8 http://www.sfcatholic.org/Search.aspx?cx=016411775599899361575%3Akrcqql6u61o&cof=FORID%3A11&ie=UTF-8&q=Carmelite%20nuns&sa=Search

I know there must be an easier way to do this but I'm still trying to figure out windows 8 which I despise, and I'm in a hurry.

Thanks so much! I found it. :) A very beautiful picture too. It really brings up that longing. All in His time, right? I wonder how the foundation plans are turning out. I'm sure it will be some time still.

inperpetuity

I haven't heard of this book before. Would you share a little of what its about? My guess is that she struggled but finally persevered; that would be a very good read. Thanks! :)

Alessandra Di Rudini was an Italian aristocrat who was greatly affected by her mother's illness and death.  She married an atheist and they had 2 sons.  They had a wonderful priest who was a good friend and her husband died but never converted.  She was highly intelligent and tried to understand God solely with her intellect but ultimately had to go to Lourdes to receive the gift of faith.  She had like many horses and dogs which she loved and was very attached to.  She ended up after her husband died getting into a relationship with a married man who caused her to be disowned by her family.  She became so ill, he left her and that began her painful conversion.  One day she just blurted out that someday she would be a Carmelite in front of her two sons which traumatized them.  They were in boarding school and she was eventually permitted to enter the Carmel in Paris leaving plenty of money for their care and the rest you'll have to read cause I don't want to ruin it for you.

inperpetuity

That's so beautiful; thanks for your witness! That is a beautiful place to be.  :)

I was born on June 27th, the feast day of Our Lady of Perpetual Help. I joke around with my mother about it because when I was born everyone said I wanted to be different because my sister was born on November 26th, my brother April 26th, and I came on June 27th. I just say that I wanted to wait another day so I could be born on one of our Blessed Mother's feast days. I should have started my novena already; thanks for bringing this up! I'll have to start my novena prayer to Her today. I'm a little late but I don't think She'll mind. :saint2:

What a beautiful feast day to be born on!  Of course she won't mind.  I have started many novenas late but thanks to this phorum was reminded to do them at all.

inperpetuity

Thanks so much! I found it. :) A very beautiful picture too. It really brings up that longing. All in His time, right? I wonder how the foundation plans are turning out. I'm sure it will be some time still.

I am not at all attracted to their current lodgings either especially compared with Buffalo, but that wouldn't prevent me from going there.  His timing is perfect, and I was reflecting on that tonight after compline . 

It didn't look like they had gotten land to build their new monastery as of February when Chiqui I think posted about it back then.  As far as the foundation goes, they must have a place to go but I didn't see any details.  :think2:

Chiquitunga

I am not at all attracted to their current lodgings either especially compared with Buffalo, but that wouldn't prevent me from going there.  His timing is perfect, and I was reflecting on that tonight after compline . 

It didn't look like they had gotten land to build their new monastery as of February when Chiqui I think posted about it back then.  As far as the foundation goes, they must have a place to go but I didn't see any details.  :think2:

Here's something from October, https://www.facebook.com/fatherz/posts/285004271611062  You don't need a FB account to view it. I don't think they have anything yet because their ad is still in the diocesan newsletter, asking for land. But I don't think they're going to give up soon! :pray:

Thanks for sharing that about Alessandra di Rudini. I had heard of her, but didn't know much. And I didn't realize that Three Veils for Sandra book was about her! I haven't read it, but I remember Sr. Mary Catharine once mentioning it here before. Thanks for sharing where you can get it super cheap!

There's another English book on her too, http://www.amazon.com/Alessandra-Rudini-Carmelite-Marie-Claude/dp/B000715I40  which is available from the Eugene, OR Carmel for $7.50 http://aquerofoundation.com/id19.html  :like:

an Italian video on her

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFeeVNSEOrY

Chiquitunga

Here's the direct link, http://www.sfcatholic.org/BishopsBulletin/Issues/pdfs/13FebruaryBulletinB.pdf  

Chiqui, you beat me to it.... I was going to share the info on the Alessandra di Rudini book.  It is excellent.  (One comment on the Eugene Carmel Nuns' books -- sometimes they get pages out of order or a section missing. (Happened with my original copy).   Just let them know and I'm sure they would replace it if this ever happens to you. ;)

(Edited because I ALWAYS mis-spell your name!!!)  :paperbag:

Edited by AnneLine

inperpetuity

Another book I have read is published by Maria Regina is, A Modern Odyssey about Sr. Frances Of The Redemption.  She had a wild life before she became a Carmelite in India of all places and left twice I think, but made her profession on her deathbed.  What a rollercoaster ride her life was, yet God was able to make her His spouse in spite of it all, amazing.

inperpetuity

Thanks, Chiqui!  and the Oregon Carmel publishes Three White Veils I think as well. 

No, they don't, sorry

graciandelamadrededios

Another book I have read is published by Maria Regina is, A Modern Odyssey about Sr. Frances Of The Redemption.  She had a wild life before she became a Carmelite in India of all places and left twice I think, but made her profession on her deathbed.  What a rollercoaster ride her life was, yet God was able to make her His spouse in spite of it all, amazing.

I've read this book, its actually a very "small" book with only 104 pages.  Sr. Frances of the Redemption entered Soso-Gumla Carmel but joined Sitagarha Carmel - a new foundation of Soso Carmel since there is a posibility that the Chapter of Soso Carmel will not admit her for profession.

Edited by graciandelamadrededios