An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discalced Carmelite Nun Communities

Guest vent801

How does one really know then where they are supposed to be? I sometimes think that regarding this about Carmel that it could only be found out when you enter and not just through letters to Reverend Mother or even visits. Some say when they get to where they are supposed to be it just feels like home. Would this always be the case? What should someone be looking for when they are discerning with communities?

I think people experience this differently .. and the Lord has different ways of letting us know what He wants. But I think we can be sure He will not hide His will if we are truly seeking it. He wants us to discover it and do it much more than we do I think. We just have to try to be faithful and obedient to Him. He may make us wait or go through obstacles first though .. :beg:

Something interesting I found reading the life of Sr. Marie of the Trinity (original name was just "of the Trinity") who was in and out of three communities before she found her final home with the Poor Clares in Jerusalam ... she experienced interior locutions from Our Lord (edit to add: Spiritual Legacy "profoundly moving" it is indeed!!! :heart:) long before she entered there, but at the time she visited the Jerusalam Poor Clares, Our Lord was silent. This was kind of a final open door for her though and she just took it. When she first visited and was praying in the chapel the Extern came up to her and asked if she would like to enter, lol. So there, you see God does speak in different ways! :) Later though she did have temptations to want to leave but Our Lord did give her locutions at that point telling her to stay, much like St. Faustina who wanted to leave her community also. 

Sorry, if all of this makes things more confusing! I will keep you in prayer! Please pray for me too! :pray:

On another note, some events coming up at Dallas Carmel, http://veneremurcernui.wordpress.com/2013/01/11/big-doings-upcoming-at-the-dallas-carmel/  One of these is my friend  :nunpray:

Edited by Chiquitunga

VeniJesuAmorMi
This was kind of a final open door for her though and she just took it.

God reward you Chiquitunga for the response and especially for your prayers! :) (I'm keeping you in mine also.)

I remember purchasing those books when you told me about her. ("The Spiritual Legacy" and "The Life and Message." Both are very good reads!)

The reason I took this part of your post is because it gave me the giggles, probably because it's the way I feel at times. That urgency to enter a community because of the desires that are in the heart. I have learned that during these times its not always prudent to act. Discernment is time and patience (and always His time.) Not too long ago I was talking to someone who asked about my discernment and I got talking about how "in the world" everything has become so fast and people don't seem to want to wait for anything and if they want anything they are going to do what they can to get it, but its not so with discerning the religious life. We may get what we wanted, but it doesn't always turn out well and not as we thought it to be. This is God's work, His grace, and when He wants it to be then it will. Then it will be everything we thought it to be and even more.

I'm glad you thought to mention Sr. Marie of The Trinity because she is an example of perseverance through trials and obstacles while going through what she did to remain in the religious life. This is very encouraging to me. It goes to show that when we do our part, remaining faithful and not giving up, then we know for sure that Our Lord will be doing His part and everything will come together. It is very hopeful! :) I am looking forward to being able to visit communities again.

Just to add because I am finishing up a letter: to anyone who may be interested and don't know about this site, I got stationery from www.catholicstationery.com/ they have so many beautiful cards and paper to send and its really great to use for writing to religious communities, and even to donate some to them because they write a lot of letters. Even the envelopes are beautiful.

About the Dallas Carmel; its really exciting that they have so much receptions this year. They must be doing very well with vocations! Maybe they will have to make a foundation soon. :)

Hello! I just wanted to share this wonderful text about the lifestyle of the Carmelite nuns of Liseaux- I think it will be helpful for those discerning Carmel =]

Paper of Exactions of Discalced Carmelite Nuns:

http://www.archives-carmel-lisieux.fr/english/carmel/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12291:le-papier-d-exaction&catid=76:papier-dexaction&Itemid=171

God bless

VeniJesuAmorMi
Hello! I just wanted to share this wonderful text about the lifestyle of the Carmelite nuns of Liseaux- I think it will be helpful for those discerning Carmel =]

Paper of Exactions of Discalced Carmelite Nuns:

http://www.archives-carmel-lisieux.fr/english/carmel/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12291:le-papier-d-exaction&catid=76:papier-dexaction&Itemid=171

God bless

It was really nice to read about the traditions that were kept. Some were different than what I experienced in the community I was in, but then some were familiar. :)

Your certainly right about this being helpful for those interested in Carmel; it really kind of lets you have an inside look at the life in the monastery (for those anyway that haven't been before.) As they say in Carmel: "May God reward you" for sharing this! :nun:

• 2 weeks later...
VeniJesuAmorMi

I have been reading this book, that can be read online at EWTN, about Carmelite Spirituality by Paul-Marie of The Cross OCD. It is really great so far, so I just wanted to share the link to the site if anyone is interested. It would be a good read for those who are Carmelite and also for anyone who is interested to learn more about the Spirituality. I like how he wrote about the history of Carmel starting from the Old Testament until now and what St.Teresa did for Carmel during the reform. Overall, he talks so well about the spirit of Carmel.

http://www.ewtn.com/library/SPIRIT/CARMSPIR.TXT

There is Carmelite nuns in Parnell, Mi In Colorado, they are all over.  For men I think there is a moastery in Wisconsin.

I have been reading this book, that can be read online at EWTN, about Carmelite Spirituality by Paul-Marie of The Cross OCD. It is really great so far, so I just wanted to share the link to the site if anyone is interested. It would be a good read for those who are Carmelite and also for anyone who is interested to learn more about the Spirituality. I like how he wrote about the history of Carmel starting from the Old Testament until now and what St.Teresa did for Carmel during the reform. Overall, he talks so well about the spirit of Carmel.

http://www.ewtn.com/library/SPIRIT/CARMSPIR.TXT

Oh neat! Thank you! Another one I heard like this that is supposed to be really good is Journey to Carith by Fr. 

Peter-Thomas Rohrbach, OCD. I've read his book on mental prayer, Conversation with Christ but I still need to read this one. There is so much on Carmel to read! :bible:

the first Carmelite foundation on Mount Carmel from the 13th century ... 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyAVHo8Bc40

VeniJesuAmorMi

Just was searching through this thread and remembered that the PMer Imsb1231 is entering the Dallas Carmel this year (very exciting!) Does anyone know if she entered since she hasn't been on in a while? Or maybe she didn't want that to be known on here, which is fine then I don't need to know. :) Praying for her though!

I once found a picture of the Dallas Carmel inside the enclosure with some of the Sisters (faces not shown) if I find it again I'll post it in here ....

Edited by VeniJesuAmorMi

VeniJesuAmorMi

tumblr_m8nvczr3Qb1r11k11o2_400.jpg

Here is the picture ..... it looks like a procession? Not really sure though. The novices always process together to choir for the Divine Office, but because here the white veils and black veils are together so I can't really know for sure what is going on in the picture; it wouldn't be common though to see those in the novitiate with the professed Sisters in the same area. Unless, these Sisters in the picture with the white veils are what is known in some Carmel's as "grey veils" meaning they have left the novitiate and have joined the professed, but will remain with the white veil until the making of solemn vows (not for a very long time; I would estimate no more than a year at the most. It could be less time.) At that time, being a grey veil, they will be under the watchful eye and care of the Reverend Mother and will get to see what it will be like to be a professed Sister by doing a lot of what they do. Nice picture to look at. :)

FutureSister2009

I've been considering the Carmel in Colorado that only does the Latin Mass. I really appreciate that. There's also the one in Loretto that's almost exactly like St. Therese's convent.

I've been considering the Carmel in Colorado that only does the Latin Mass. I really appreciate that. There's also the one in Loretto that's almost exactly like St. Therese's convent.

Just to warn you, the Carmelites in Colorado Springs, CO are not in union with the Church.  They are a "renegade order" and are attached to a male group that is schismatic.  They don't believe in the validity of the Novus Ordo Mass.