An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lisa Ling Explores Religious Life

franciscanlady

franciscanlady

Yes I agree with you cmariadiaz. I did not like how that sister (Sister of Charity Sr. Margaret) said about the transgendered prostitutes "they have been told they are sinful and are to go to hell," as if it was not true (the sinful part at least). I did not like how Lisa Ling said Sr. Margaret was the first person in whom she saw God as if He was not visible in the cloistered nuns she has interviewed. I think Lisa felt that Sr. Margaret did God's work as opposed to those in the monastery.

It stems from the inability to understand consecrated life and it's different forms. People think this is just something you can sign up for like being a doctor or a lawyer. There's too much terminology that's basically political language.

I took Lisa Ling's comment about Sr. Margaret as a positive one ... in fact I think it was her contact with Sr. Margaret that probably prompted/encouraged her to do the story.

I din't like that Ling said Catholics believe the bread and wine [u]symbolize[/u] the real body and blood of Jesus.

Papist-yeah. Aside from that crazy liberal sister, they couldn't even explain the Eucharist properly? Granted, it's a 'hard saying' but its the source and summit of the Catholic faith and the religious life! I was appalled-like someone says (can't remember the source) if the Eucharist just SYMBOLIZES Christ as Ling said, then what's the point? Why be Catholic and go to Marse?

I'm sure it was an honest mistake, but it still relayed inaccurate information to the audience. The interview was a generally thumbs down for me, although the two traditional orders were nice to see!

It was irresponsible reporting. They viewed the young girl entering the cloister convent as a novelty, and the sister with the outreach to transgendered prostitutes as a saint.

"After ditching the traditional nun uniform, Sister Margaret offers judgement free guidance and aid to all those in need, including a transgender prostitute." i.e. Sr. Margaret is relevant in today's world.

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1340749054' post='2449201']
"After ditching the traditional nun uniform, Sister Margaret offers judgement free guidance and aid to all those in need, including a transgender prostitute." i.e. Sr. Margaret is relevant in today's world.
[/quote]

Actually I didn't take it from the point of view that the others shown in the interview were "irrelevant."

Also -- I don't think Ling is Catholic. The program was not a baaaaad program ... I expected it to trash religious life. It didn't. I think it showed the struggles that the young women faced quite well.

She definitely had a bias, and thought highly of Sr. Margaret. And as I said, I do think Sr. Margaret is doing wonderful work, but alas her belief system is off.

"And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Since you have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, you have done it unto me."

Boy, am I glad you guys aren't sitting in judgement of me...

Mother Teresa said to homosexuals, "Jesus loves you always, even when you don't feel worthy. When not accepted by others, even by yourself sometimes, He is the one who always accepts you. Only believe, you are precious to him. Bring all you are suffering to His feet, only open your heart to be loved by Him as you are. He will do the rest."

Sr. Margaret is showing that love.

[quote name='Lumiere' timestamp='1340754449' post='2449240']
"And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Since you have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, you have done it unto me."

Mother Teresa said to homosexuals, "Jesus loves you always, even when you don't feel worthy. When not accepted by others, even by yourself sometimes, He is the one who always accepts you. Only believe, you are precious to him. Bring all you are suffering to His feet, only open your heart to be loved by Him as you are. He will do the rest."

[/quote]

I agree that Sr. Margaret is showing love, I just disagree with some of her views.

[quote name='Lumiere' timestamp='1340754449' post='2449240']

[/quote]

Showing love is one thing. Promoting sinful actions and misleading the faithful is something else altogether. She should show love, yes, but she should not promote sin or mislead people.

Sister Margaret has very call & different apostolic work than what most Sisters do. I think one of the points of the show was to highlight not just the radical choices women make for God but also the radical differences of consecrated/religious life within the church.. Of COURSE Suster Margaret's life is easier to understand than the mystery of a hidden, cloistered life. It's a mystery to the many who live it. We are all one Body; different parts. Sister Margaret makes it clear she is not in the position to tell anybody what their sins are or if they are going to hell; in fact the church has made it very clear that we do not do for one another, for that is between God and the individual soul. Even the new translation of the Mass reflects the secrecy of God's plan for each person & our personal worthiness; thus the use of MANY vs. ALL --- nothing is a given. Obviously the person profiled on the show (Denise) has made a major conversion, which happened as a result of Sr. Margaret's work. I'm not sure what anybody here objects to in Sr. Margaret's "beliefs" - she imitated Jesus fully by welcoming the marginalized, without judgement. What good would it have done to tell a kid with stage 4 cancer that she's a sinner, headed for hell? I think that kid was pretty much in hell at that point & probably felt pretty worthless. This is obvious by her statement that without Sister Margaret she would have "let the cancer run it's course." Cloistered nuns pray for these very miracles; that a prostitute will find safety and get off the street and somehow - in the midst of everything - they will turn their lives over to God. As for Denise "wanting" to be a nun or Sister Margaret encouraging that, I am pretty confident that was a light hearted joke; however it did show that through a major life conversion, she is open to God's will. I give her credit for making it to Sunday Mass every week. I know a lot of Catholics who can't seem to do that. Anyway, there are factual issues that are correct regarding the theology of our faith, but I cannot find anything Sister Margaret said or did that was wrong, theologically. And again, for the record, for a non-Catholic (obviously Ling) this subject is very deep. I felt she was very far in showing the excitement and joy of a young person truly called and for many, this will never make sense. Also, remember, as discussed here already, other communities (cloistered) were approached & said no. Perhaps an older, more mature cloistered nun would have language that wouldn't have struck some of you (or Ling) so "off ." in closing, there are many good, Catholic produced & created shows that clearly make this subject very understandable. I'm not sure an hour show by a lay reporter could get it all. I think she did a good job. I hope everybody who saw this show prays for the Susters who are in the trenches, like Suster Margaret, being the hands and feet of Christ while they are supported by the Live of Christ within the cloister walls.

Wow I just reread (with my glarsees) my post. HUGE typos. I'm so sorry. Too many to count, I tried to edit but the system thought I was trying give props to myself! Most of everything you all will figure out (I hope) but I did want to make sure you get that I DO believe the showed inaccuracies about our Faith & theological issues. But not Sister Margaret.

My closing line meant to say LOVE instead of live. I'm also using someone else's computer, which didn't help. Forgive my errors & I hope my post makes some sense. Thanks.

SNJM: I haven't combed through this thread prior to this post, but I don't think any of the posters were hating on Sister's evangelization to sinners. That is wonderful! It seems that most (me included) were horrified over the fact that Sister told the transgender man (because that is what the Church would call him) that he could possible become a Catholic Sister....and this was relayed as such on national television. The fact that you think it was a joke doesn't really matter, to say it bluntly. If I joked that it was okay to use contraception, it is wrong, joke or not. That is a theological error she is pas*sing on in her ministry.

it is honorable of you to defend this woman who you think is trying her best-and I am sure she is. No one here is hating on her, but for the edification of those on this phorum and those who watched the program, that detail was not Catholic teaching and needs to be remedied.

The fact that you refer to the transgendered man as 'her' worries me. The Church does not recognize the man as 'her,' and I think this might be the real issue in your defense of the Sister. Again, it is kind of you to defend her, but you aren't seeing the problem, and you may have some inaccurate notions of Catholic moral teachings on transgendered persons. I know I did before I became Catholic! One last time, I am not hating on you, and I do not think the posters in this thread are hating on that Sister either.

God bless!

Edited by emmaberry

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1341164303' post='2451178']
SNJM: I haven't combed through this thread prior to this post, but I don't think any of the posters were hating on Sister's evangelization to sinners. That is wonderful! It seems that most (me included) were horrified over the fact that Sister told the transgender man (because that is what the Church would call him) that he could possible become a Catholic Sister....and this was relayed as such on national television.
[/quote]

I suggest you do "comb through" the thread. I also suggest you re-watch the [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ecpeg1EeLg"]video[/url]. It is Lisa Ling who brings up the possibility of Denise being a nun (2:33). Denise replies, "If that's what God has a plan for me, then hey. You know they'll have a transsexual nun." Lisa laughs. There are a few more comments by Denise and then Sr. Margaret says, "Who knows, we have to be open to what God's plan is for everyone"(2:52). Sr. Margaret did not say she should be a nun. She did not say that it was God's plan. She said, "Who knows, we have to be open to what God's plan is for everyone". Something I have heard said over and over again by people posting here.

I am amazed by the lack of charity shown towards Denise and Sr. Margaret.

"Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her."

These are some of the comments you didn't have time to comb through:

"The sister working with her, although I applaud her for working with those that are marginalized in society she definitely has too liberal of a view. She let the transgendered person think that he could become a nun ... And that was completely ridiculous."
Not true, see above

"I did not like how that sister (Sister of Charity Sr. Margaret) said about the transgendered prostitutes "they have been told they are sinful and are to go to hell," as if it was not true (the sinful part at least)."
By the way, we are all sinners.

"Aside from that crazy liberal sister,..."
This is a very loving comment."

""After ditching the traditional nun uniform, Sister Margaret offers judgement free guidance and aid to all those in need, including a transgender prostitute." i.e. Sr. Margaret is relevant in today's world."
I would say she is very relevant to the kids she works with.

"Showing love is one thing. Promoting sinful actions and misleading the faithful is something else altogether. She should show love, yes, but she should not promote sin or mislead people."
Did you see her promoting sin? Where did she promote sin? She was showing Christ's love to kids that some people think are the lowest of the low. How do you think Christ's love should be shown to these people?

franciscanlady

"I did not like how that sister (Sister of Charity Sr. Margaret) said about the transgendered prostitutes "they have been told they are sinful and are to go to hell," as if it was not true (the sinful part at least)."

Lumiere, I don't see at all how this or a few of the other comments you criticised is uncharitable (one quote is from the video itself). The [b]first[/b] and [b]foremost[/b] job of a religious is to bring souls to Christ, it is not a be a social worker. Of course we are all sinners (please point out where I said otherwise). If I am sinning, I would hope to be told that so that I can spend eternity in heaven. That is true charity! I have the episode recorded and have seen it several times. Maybe it is just me, but it seemed as if they are being told that they are okay as they are (which wouldn't be rare...many nuns call for gay marriage/rights etc.) That is just my perspective as the video does not show us more detail. Sr. Margaret is doing wonderful work and nobody has denied that!