An Old School Catholic Message Board

You Know You Are A Future Priest... (or Brother)

NonNovi

PhuturePriest

[quote name='BigJon16' timestamp='1340409939' post='2447656']
You know you are a future priest when:

- When the old ladies at your parish are already calling you "Father"..
- When you sneak a moment to look through the Roman Missal and "practice the words"...
- When you feel amesome whenever Cappie likes one of your Phatmass posts.
- You usually stay away from Vocation Station because it's mostly women talking about discerning religious life..
- When you explore the sacristy and it's attics looking for old Chasubles/Cassocks/Other priestly stuff.
- When your nickname amongst your friends is Padre Dude. (It's a long story)
- [b]When your dad proudly announces the fact to every person he introduces to you. (to your own embarrassment.)[/b]
-When you really really enjoyed reading through this thread, and cant wait for more...
[/quote]

Oh yes. I experience this one quite a bit. Every time we see a Priest he tells him about it, and I'm always thinking "[i]Dad..."[/i] I'm pretty sure he is the reason there is a rumor going around that I am preparing for Seminary. Well, it's technically true, so I'm not complaining.

You know you are a future Priest/Brother when:

- You can't wait to talk to your spiritual director.
- You bless things like Priests do for fun.
- You imagine yourself walking around in a Cathedral Cassock.
- You dress up as a Franciscan Friar at the Renaissance Fair.
- Your heroes are Saint John Vianney and all the like.

Edited by FuturePriest387

[quote name='NonNovi' timestamp='1340310579' post='2447170']

-when you think you see some nuns, and are very dissapointed when they turn out to be muslimwomen
[/quote]
:hehe2:

PhuturePriest

I have a new one. You know you are a future Priest/Brother when:

- You have your own personal kneeler in your room. I got it as a gift from my friend and it is so beautiful. I have always wanted one and for some reason it has helped me greatly with my prayer life. I find myself praying more than I usually do, and I even kneel on it when I'm reading the Bible. I'm going to have a back of steel by the time I'm eighteen.

filius_angelorum

-when you know every order's habits and the symbolism behind them.
-when you give up acquiring anything because it's just going to be something else to get rid of later.

PhuturePriest

You know you are a future Priest/Brother when:

- You want to clean out your room and make it bare. My spiritual director said yesterday this is actually because I'm lazy and don't want to clean it. rotfl We had a good laugh about it

Edited by FuturePriest387

AveMariaPurissima

[quote name='filius_angelorum' timestamp='1340321001' post='2447261']
-when you need an hour to get ready in the morning...because you have to squeeze in the Office of Readings and Lauds!
-when you mentally "collect bishops" whom you've met or spoken with.
-when you REALLY want to stop having to buy new shirts/pantaloons.
[/quote]
Actually...those first two pretty much apply to me too! :blush:

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1340415415' post='2447698']

- You imagine yourself walking around in a Cathedral Cassock.
- You dress up as a Franciscan Friar at the Renaissance Fair.

[/quote]
[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1340422678' post='2447744']

- You have your own personal kneeler in your room.
[/quote]

DUDE. ME TOO!!!

This thread is so amesome.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='BigJon16' timestamp='1340470612' post='2447936']
DUDE. ME TOO!!!

This thread is so amesome.
[/quote]

Sweet! I'm glad to know I'm not the only loser thinking about Priestly stuff all day. I can be quite deceiving. I'll be sitting there seemingly reading through a science book like I am smart and sophisticated, but what is going on in my head is really "Hm... I wonder how awkward it would be if a family member confessed his or her sins to me...?"

This thread is amesome. I approve.

Haha, how brilliant is this, we all think about exactly the same things :smile3: I don't have a kneeler in my room, but that's only because I didn't find one yet :saint2:

- when you think this thread is awesome (and you are male).
- when you are so dissapointed when they cancel the candle procession in Lourdes.
- when you're on vacation and at least once a day someone asks you if you're a seminarian.
- when you own a breviary in Latin.
- when you collect pictures of yourself with brothers/sisters of different orders/congregations/communities.
- when you buy stuff you don't need as layperson but "you might need later".
- when you see a pretty girl and you think more about her soul rather than her looks.

filius_angelorum

[quote name='NonNovi' timestamp='1340922157' post='2450140']
Haha, how brilliant is this, we all think about exactly the same things :smile3: I don't have a kneeler in my room, but that's only because I didn't find one yet :saint2:

- when you think this thread is awesome (and you are male).
- when you are so dissapointed when they cancel the candle procession in Lourdes.
- when you're on vacation and at least once a day someone asks you if you're a seminarian.
- when you own a breviary in Latin.
- when you collect pictures of yourself with brothers/sisters of different orders/congregations/communities.
- when you buy stuff you don't need as layperson but "you might need later".
- when you see a pretty girl and you think more about her soul rather than her looks.
[/quote]

Hmm...I am not really there on the last one. I rather think about how good God is for making women so beautiful. Ah well. I am rather a hopeless romantic, which makes me perfect for celebrating marriages...

Otherwise, I am right there with you.

You know you are a priest or a brother
-when Friar Lawrence is your favorite character from Shakespeare.
-when "I Confess" is your favorite Alfred Hitchcock movie.
-when you practice chanting the Exultet and Preface tones.
-when you know both the verses and responses to the Iudica Me from the beginning of Marse.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='filius_angelorum' timestamp='1340923473' post='2450154']
Hmm...I am not really there on the last one. I rather think about how good God is for making women so beautiful. Ah well. I am rather a hopeless romantic, which makes me perfect for celebrating marriages...

Otherwise, I am right there with you.

You know you are a priest or a brother
-when Friar Lawrence is your favorite character from Shakespeare.
-when "I Confess" is your favorite Alfred Hitchcock movie.
-when you practice chanting the Exultet and Preface tones.
-when you know both the verses and responses to the Iudica Me from the beginning of Marse.
[/quote]

I'm a victim of both. I too am a hopeless romantic, but I also find myself worrying about peoples' souls, even if I do not know them.

You know you are a future Priest/Brother when

-Your favorite Disney movie is Robin Hood just because of Friar Tuck.
-You have multiple pictures of Religious communities in your room.
-You collect the special issues of the Diocesan newspaper that is focused on vocations (I've had one of those sitting on my desk for months now).
-[i]Going My Way [/i]and [i]The Bells at Saint Mary's [/i]are your favorite Bing Crosby movies.
-You have multiple prayer books and have it to where even if you accidentally lose one you still have a full prayer schedule.
-You get the Leaflet Missal Magazine and focus particularly on the clerical attire.
-You don't think you could live without EWTN.
-Your greatest childhood memories are the Midwest Catholic Family Conference and EWTN (I am obsessed with EWTN).

[quote name='filius_angelorum' timestamp='1340923473' post='2450154']
I rather think about how good God is for making women so beautiful.
[/quote]
St.-Augustine, Confessiones :proud:

That too, but what I meant was a change in thinking about the opposite sex. When we see handsome people (we're possible attracted to), we tend to let the looks determine what we think of this person. And we can be completely enchanted by someones appereance, but won't look deeper. Whenever I see a pretty girl now, I always wonder if her soul is as pretty as her looks. That's what I meant (but maybe I explain it not clear enough, sometimes I don't know how to express myself properly in English :blush:)

-when you can tell wich (bible)book or saint someone quoted or got some ideas.
-when you really wish you could answer "yes, I am" when someone asks if you're a seminarian.
-when the tip of your right shoe is worn.
-when you feel so happy when sisters smile at you when they recognise you.
-when you have all sorts of missals and prayerbooks.
-when you can pray in multiple languages.
-when you think Latin is the best language to pray :smile4:

filius_angelorum

-when you discuss with other men how to avoid thinking about women's looks ;)

-when your ex-girlfriend tells you that she expected you to start discerning much earlier. (Sigh)

filius_angelorum

Also, Father O'Malley a.k.a. Bing is amesome. "Just dial O, for O'Malley." Since my last name starts with an O, I rather look forward to using that line someday.