An Old School Catholic Message Board

You Know You Are A Future Priest... (or Brother)

NonNovi

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1341782272' post='2453610']

I would do the same if the Church was not locked all the time.
[/quote]

When the Seminarians have taught you the tricks on how to *ahem* visit Jesus even when the doors are locked.

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1348667383' post='2486888']

That's gigantic! Especially considering Kansas standards. The average height here is 5'8 or 5'7. I was 5'4 the last time I got measured, so at best I'm [i]maybe[/i] 5'5.
[/quote]
Average height in Kansas is 5' 10" (for males)

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

[quote name='BigJon16' timestamp='1351477950' post='2499440']
When your parents and yourself have a meeting with you're diocese's vocations director to discuss the seminary and possibly officially begin the application. :w00t:

Pray for me, my brothers and sisters!!
[/quote]
Prayers indeed...I remember when I was invited to begin application, I was on cloud 9 for a week

* When being invited to apply for Seminary make you week, month, year...life so much better.

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

-When after serving mass you have to stick around the entrance to the Church because you have your line of people to greet and talk with you.
- When after serving mass the Chair of the VocAtions Committee informs you that you have dinner obligations on such and such dates and you WILL be there.

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

When there are special things that pop up, funerals, Holy Hours ect you are among the first they ask if you are available to serve.

When the need for a server arrives you do everything you can to make it...I.e. leave work early, trade work shifts, skip class.

- when you're preparing the altar for the next Mass and you hear someone in the church saying: "See, I told you there still are young priests!" :hehe2:
- when you keep your vocation in mind when buying clothes, i.e. you seem to have more white shirts, dark pantaloons and black socks than you used to have, because they go so well with your cassock.

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

[quote name='NonNovi' timestamp='1352038822' post='2503841']
- when you're preparing the altar for the next Mass and you hear someone in the church saying: "See, I told you there still are young priests!" :hehe2:
- when you keep your vocation in mind when buying clothes, i.e. you seem to have more white shirts, dark pantaloons and black socks than you used to have, because they go so well with your cassock.
[/quote]

Yes and Yes...

When you intentionally start buying clothes based upon the Seminary dress code you MIGHT get sent to in a few, couple, next year...

PhuturePriest

- When you serve Mass at your sister's wedding and people mistook you for a Seminarian because you did it so seriously and devoutly.

LittleWaySoul

[quote name='NonNovi' timestamp='1341006232' post='2450556']
Whenever I see a pretty girl now, I always wonder if her soul is as pretty as her looks.
[/quote]

That may be one of the most precious things I've ever heard :love:

I adore this thread! It's great to hear from the men who are discerning on Phatmass :smile3: I'll pray for you all!

LittleWaySoul

[quote name='NonNovi' timestamp='1350513674' post='2494228']
- when you shock your fellow students by not receiving communion during Mass (making a spiritual communion, but yeah, what do they know about that?)
[/quote]
This is slightly off topic, but can someone explain this to me a little? I sort of understand the idea of spiritual communion, but when you have the opportunity to receive the real Eucharist, why would you choose not to? I have a friend who has done that too, and I never really asked him, fearing it was something personal, but could someone explain this for me? Thanks so much! :)

[quote name='LittleWaySoul' timestamp='1352044304' post='2503861']
when you have the opportunity to receive the real Eucharist, why would you choose not to?
[/quote]
I didn't really had the opportunity. We had a meeting with students from other schools that day, and they didn't tell us there was a Mass scheduled at the end. I wasn't in a state of grace at the time, and didn't have the opportunity to confess, so I did not receive communion. As simple as that :) Otherwise I definitely would have received (also shocking the other students by kneeling and receiving on the tongue, it's seems I'm a shocker).

Nowadays, receiving communion is sometimes degraded to some sort of habit, you "have" to do it, it's part of the game. Go get a cookie. It could be a useful exercise to make a spiritual communion now and then. When you receive communion the next time, you will appreciate it more.

LittleWaySoul

[quote name='NonNovi' timestamp='1352048435' post='2503886']
I didn't really had the opportunity. We had a meeting with students from other schools that day, and they didn't tell us there was a Mass scheduled at the end. I wasn't in a state of grace at the time, and didn't have the opportunity to confess, so I did not receive communion. As simple as that :) Otherwise I definitely would have received (also shocking the other students by kneeling and receiving on the tongue, it's seems I'm a shocker).

Nowadays, receiving communion is sometimes degraded to some sort of habit, you "have" to do it, it's part of the game. Go get a cookie. It could be a useful exercise to make a spiritual communion now and then. When you receive communion the next time, you will appreciate it more.
[/quote]
Ohhh! And being in a state of grace involves what? I feel like I should know this (and perhaps I do to some extent), but I think I should ask anyway. I thought you simply had to be without mortal sin on your soul to receive the Eucharist?

So we're allowed to do spiritual communion at mass if it's simply for the sake of trying to appreciate the gift of the Eucharist in the future?

[quote name='LittleWaySoul' timestamp='1352051215' post='2503912']
I thought you simply had to be without mortal sin on your soul to receive the Eucharist?
[/quote]
If you are without mortal sin, you're in a state of grace (but maybe I'm translating this wrong and you use another word).

[quote name='LittleWaySoul' timestamp='1352051215' post='2503912']
So we're allowed to do spiritual communion at mass if it's simply for the sake of trying to appreciate the gift of the Eucharist in the future?
[/quote]
You have the obligation to receive communion only once a year (in the Easter time). So you are "allowed" to make a spiritual communion every other day of the year if you want to, no matter for what sake. I must say I don't do it often, I usually take the opportunity to receive. When I serve 2 Masses on the same day, I sometimes skip communion the second time, although I'm allowed to receive twice. But when I don't receive communion, it's hard and makes my love for Christ only grow stronger because you suddenly realise what you are missing.
It's like when you are aware of a mortal sin and can't receive. You only want to go to confession as soon as possible to be able to receive Christ the next time, because you love Him and want to be with Him.

[quote name='PadrePioOfPietrelcino' timestamp='1352070741' post='2504145']
When your typical Sunday schedule involves at least two masses...
[/quote]
I'm not the only one :eek: If only my parents could know this...