An Old School Catholic Message Board

You Know You Are A Future Priest... (or Brother)

NonNovi

- when you go to the ordination Mass in your diocese (very rare opportunity) and afterwards several people say (not ask) you're going to be the next.

- when you didn't even do anything remarkable during that Mass, just being in the crowd, and those people even don't know you're actually discerning.

- when the bishop greets you 3 times on the same day and says he's glad you're there (like he always does).

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

When your Parish gets a new Seminarian for a Pastoral year, and everyone keeps thinking it's you...

When your Parish gets a new Seminarian for a Pastoral year, and everyone keeps thinking it's you...

Haha, had the same thing when I spend my vacation at the French parish of my SJM-friends. "Their" seminarian was ordained deacon and left the parish, everybody just thought I was "the new one". :hehe2:

In my own parish at home it happens too, but that's because I wear cassock and surplice, wich is not very custom in my diocese. People seem to think the cassock is a seminarian thing.

Edited by NonNovi

- when you see your bishop in what in your cathedral is considered the most beautiful chasuble (they use them on every major feast) and think: "I would totally refuse to wear that..." (it sparkles)

40-053%2520-%25202012-12-08%2520-%2520Pr

- when you don't want your ordination to look like this:

41-050%2520-%25202012-12-08%2520-%2520Pr

- when you, during that Mass, think: "I have to get away from this diocese, my ordination will be like this!!" (for who is wondering, it's Novus Ordo)

ChristinaTherese

Never mind. Suffice it to say: that vestment.... :covereyes: :banned:

Edited by Christina Thérèse

• 2 weeks later...

-when you tell people you're still a student they immediately assume you're a seminarian.

-when you're a professional at sneaking out of the house to go to church or to a prayergroup without your parents knowing.

-when you look around in your parish church and think: "One day I will return to be a priest right here".

- when people after Mass come to say they get jealous when they see you praying and ask if you can give them a piece of your faith. :pray:

To Jesus Through Mary

Non Novi- so you don't have to post by yourself.

I think it is official, I can spot a seminarian from a mile away. I am visiting Dayton right now and so was this seminarian and I noticed a few things about him.

- came early to pray and stayed late to give thanksgiving

- The older people flocked around him like he was a Back Street Boy

- Prayed the LOTH with them after the Mass at their request

- When I asked him where I would find a traditional Mass in the area (thinking he was from around here) he asked me if I meant the TLM and knew of a parish even though he wasn't from the area.

- He has the glow.

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

When you meet a beautiful women and have a moment of minor temptation...you ask weather you would rather give her Jesus or yourself? Your answer is very easily Jesus.

Non Novi- so you don't have to post by yourself.

- when you desperately try to keep this thread alive (thanks for your help, TJTM :priest:)

- when you're going crazy when your family wants to leave only 15 minutes before Mass on Christmas and not earlier.

- when you're sad your family rarely goes to Mass.

- when you're glad you don't have to go to Mass with your family that often.

- when you don't want the parties, the presents and the family visits anymore and just want to celebrate in silence and in prayer.

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

When you don't go home for Christmas 3 hours away so you can serve all the Christmas Masses at your Parish.

PhuturePriest

- When you come back from a long time of putting discerning off and put on a cassock, look at yourself in the mirror, and a huge uncontrollable smile spreads across your face.

- When you go back to discerning the Priesthood and you feel a sense of belonging.

- When you can't wait to visit the seminary again.

AccountDeleted
- When you come back from a long time of putting discerning off and put on a cassock, look at yourself in the mirror, and a huge uncontrollable smile spreads across your face.

- When you go back to discerning the Priesthood and you feel a sense of belonging.

- When you can't wait to visit the seminary again.

Wow - miss a few posts and I'm out of the loop. since when did you give up giving up discernment? Last I heard you were still pining over Emily dating someone else and had given up the idea of the priesthood. Now you are discerning again? Ah the young change their minds so quickly and so often.

I wonder how long this new fervor will last and how real it is(not just suffering from a broken heart are you?there are other girls in the world you know) 

I do wish you well FP- whatever you end up deciding about your future. Early days yet though. Be patient with yourself.

AccountDeleted
Sorry for maybe being misleading. I'm still in the same place. I really want to discern the Priesthood again because I really want to be a Priest, but I think it is more about me wanting to be a Priest than actually being called.

I made my other post before I saw thisone. This is a very mature and self-aware post and I am impressed! I will pray that God reveals His will to do in whatever vocation you are called to follow - holy orders or marriage. My last post was a bit flippant but now I can see that I underestimated you. Discernment isn't easy and you seem to realize this. Good work!

PhuturePriest
Wow - miss a few posts and I'm out of the loop. since when did you give up giving up discernment? Last I heard you were still pining over Emily dating someone else and had given up the idea of the priesthood. Now you are discerning again? Ah the young change their minds so quickly and so often.

I wonder how long this new fervor will last and how real it is(not just suffering from a broken heart are you?there are other girls in the world you know) 

I do wish you well FP- whatever you end up deciding about your future. Early days yet though. Be patient with yourself.

You haven't missed anything -- that is the first time I ever publicly said anything. Basically, when I went to seminary, I went with the completely wrong mindset. I was determined to discern out, because I had just met Emily and I wanted to date her. The thought of the Priesthood kept creeping it's way back for the six weeks I had given up on discernment, but I kept pushing it away. Finally (Through no heartbreak or anything such as that), I realized I was being an idiot and I needed to start discerning again.

I made my other post before I saw thisone. This is a very mature and self-aware post and I am impressed! I will pray that God reveals His will to do in whatever vocation you are called to follow - holy orders or marriage. My last post was a bit flippant but now I can see that I underestimated you. Discernment isn't easy and you seem to realize this. Good work!

Eh, don't praise me too much. As I said in my last post, I wanted to discern out, and when I did I decided it was "final". The one time I get praise for self-awareness, it's completely undeserved. :P Pretty much, I am deciding to just take things slowly. I'm not going to be in a rush to figure out my vocation anymore. Before, I was so worried about getting to my vocation that I did not work on becoming a better person and adding to my character that if it even came time for me to choose my vocation, I would not have had the character for it. Therefore, I am going to work on myself, pray, go on discernment-type stuff, and see what happens.

Edited by FuturePriest387