An Old School Catholic Message Board

You Know You Are A Future Priest... (or Brother)

NonNovi

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

When even the Chrich ladies who for DECADES have taken care of things like the altar appointments and flowers start looking to you for direction.

petitpèlerin

When even the Chrich ladies who for DECADES have taken care of things like the altar appointments and flowers start looking to you for direction.

Now that is serious. ;)

That's big! In my case they usually start looking at me AFTER I rearranged the altar :hehe2:

-when the parish team has a meeting with only one item to discuss: you rearranging the altar.

I'm happy to hear such a wonderful update Non! I've been praying for you! 

Thank you Catholicterp! I'll give a more complete update soon.

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

That's big! In my case they usually start looking at me AFTER I rearranged the altar :hehe2:

-when the parish team has a meeting with only one item to discuss: you rearranging the altar.

Yeah the conversation went something like this:

Them: Hey Ben come over here...what do you think about this, or this, or should it be done like this? Do you think it is too distracting...ect.

Me: No that looks pretty good...

Them: What about over here...

Me: *suggest a minor change*

Them: Ok, Thanks we couldn't find Fr to ask him. :saint2:

later talking with Fr.

Me: you know the ladies in the arts and environment team started asking me questions about what I thought about what they were doing . :saint2:

Fr: Yeah, I try to hide otherwise they ask my opinion on everything (gives me a meaningful look :hehe2:  )

To Jesus Through Mary

So I teach religion at a Catholic school twice a week to several grades. There are two boys that I am sure have a vocation. When they serve at the Altar their faces light up, when I talk about the saints they are on the edge of their seats, and they just have this look when we talk about the faith. I have a feeling, one day I will be calling them "father". 

• 2 weeks later...
PadrePioOfPietrelcino

So I teach religion at a Catholic school twice a week to several grades. There are two boys that I am sure have a vocation. When they serve at the Altar their faces light up, when I talk about the saints they are on the edge of their seats, and they just have this look when we talk about the faith. I have a feeling, one day I will be calling them "father". 

What grade do you teach? If it's late middle school or high school I might suggest getting them a book called To Save A Thousand Souls. It is a great reflection in the discernment process and a very practical book. Younger than that and it will probably be over their heads tho.

To Jesus Through Mary

What grade do you teach? If it's late middle school or high school I might suggest getting them a book called To Save A Thousand Souls. It is a great reflection in the discernment process and a very practical book. Younger than that and it will probably be over their heads tho.

I teach 1st, 3rd, 4th, and 5th... plus sacramental prep. One of these boys is in the 3rd and the other in 4th. Please pray for them to get into a GOOD Catholic school next years (ours was among the 25+ schools that got shut down in NYC). But yeah, probably have to wait to give them that book yet. ;)

- when you went on a pilgrimage to Lourdes and really didn't want to leave afterwards.

- when random people there started to greet you very friendly, and you only realised later it was just because of the black coat you were wearing.

- when you are already at the sanctuary with the grotto at 6am, hoping it will be calm and quiet so you can pray in silence.

- when you return at 11:30pm with the same idea, only to find out there are still Masses being said.

- when you can pray Hail Mary in 5 languages during the candle light procession.

- when a priest of your community starts to introduce you to everyone as a postulant, even though you officialy aren't one yet.

- when you spend an hour making holes in the tall candles you brought back from Lourdes, so they can be used by the altar servers at Mass.

petitpèlerin

Were you just there, NonNovi?! I'm going this week, and then to Fatima, with a stop in Spain in either Avila or Toledo (where John of the Cross was imprisoned).

PhuturePriest

- When your dad's friend proudly exclaims "Father Miles!" every time you see him, and when he tells you that he didn't even recognize you at first when you were serving Mass because you were so in-character.

- When another lady you've known all your life didn't recognize you when you were serving Mass, either.

- When the girl you like really encourages you to pursue the Priesthood.

- When you tell your discernment to PadrePioofPietrelcina, and he goes "Dude, you are so screwed..." (Meaning I'll be a Priest, at least in theory).

- When you help your spiritual director with a baptism, even though at the time you had no clue what you were doing and had never even served Mass, and afterwards the family walks up to you and thanks you for doing such a wonderful job, and asks if you are a Priest or seminarian.

PhuturePriest

When you are planning to take 30 credits in philosophy even when you'd really rather not?

Thirty credits of philosophy is like signing up to get your mind repeatedly exploded.