An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pcc Visit-what To Bring Them?

emmaberry

HI!

I am visiting a PCC community, and all they asked for me to bring with me was some office supplies for them. :(

I would love to bring them more things they need, so I need your help! What are things cloisters are usually in need of (food, etc)

Thanks!

Edited by emmaberry

OnlySunshine

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1340154840' post='2446515']
HI!

I am visiting a PCC community, and all they asked for me to bring with me was some office supplies for them. :(

I would love to bring them more things they need, so I need your help! What are things cloisters are usually in need of (food, etc)

Thanks!
[/quote]

There was a few threads on things to bring cloistered communities. I'll see if I can dig it up. However, these are just off the top of my head:

-Fruit (dried fruit lasts a long time)
-Bread
-Brandy (for colds or feast days)
-Chocolate (also for feast days)
-Stationery to write notes to benefactors
-Gift cards to Walmart, Target, etc (so their benefactors can get what the nuns need when they need it)
-Pet food (if they have dogs or cats)

I second Mater's idea for fruit. Some friends and I visited communities last labor day, taking them each a big bowl of fruit. All of them loved it. Fresh fruit is relatively expensive, so it's a treat!

Strictlyinkblot

Flowers are always good! Gift voucher for Amazon or similar online book store if they use the internet. Tea and/or coffee and a bottle of wine for feast days. I'm bringing Earl Grey tea on my next vocation retreat. Apparently they haven't had it for a long time so they said they'd greatly appreciate it. And what everyone else said.

Edited by Strictlyinkblot

Coffee -- special flavored stuff for feast days!
ICE CREAM! :)

Gift cards to a local grocery store!!

or the all time best -- a check or cash. Then they can get what they need. :)

Oh!!!!!..... fresh flowers for the altar! Two identical arrangements are best!

OnlySunshine

[quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1340207289' post='2446716']
Stamps! I think almost every community I have seen with a wish list is asking for stamps.
[/quote]

LOL, I didn't think of that. Great idea, TT! :)

Thank you guys! So far I'm bringing stamps and the office supplies they asked for. I LOVE the suggestions of chocolate and fruit, but I have a 3.5 hour drive to the convent, so I don't know if that would be the best conditions for fruit--although I guess the chocolate would be fine in the air conditioned car...

Does anyone have any idea what fruit/veggies they might prefer? If anyone has read ARTBM by Mother Mary Francis, then you know that they grow a lot of their own food. I am wondering what kind of food may not grow very well down here in the South, as this might be more of a treat for them than something they grow in their own backyard! Aaaand I am guessing Roswell has a Walmart? LOL! If anyone knows/has visited Roswell, please let me know about the grocery store situation there. I read that its population is ~50,000 so they MUST have a Wally World. :)

AveMariaPurissima

I agree that the fresh fruit is a good idea. :)
In general, though, to share the advice of my Sisters when they're asked if there's anything they need: "Just think about the sort of items you'd need at home; chances are that we could use them too."

Sr Mary Catharine OP

FRUIT, any kind of fruit! Fresh veggies, especially at this time of year! coagulated milk, cookies, tea! (I second the Earl Grey!) and believe it or not, fresh donuts are a HUGE treat! When we get them they are usually, well, sad....

Stamps are also a very good idea. Tuna fish, potato chips,

Really, the ordinary things bring us great joy and help us a lot!

The ice cream is a really great idea, as well! :-)

SMC

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1340222147' post='2446801']
Thank you guys! So far I'm bringing stamps and the office supplies they asked for. I LOVE the suggestions of chocolate and fruit, but I have a 3.5 hour drive to the convent, so I don't know if that would be the best conditions for fruit--although I guess the chocolate would be fine in the air conditioned car...

Does anyone have any idea what fruit/veggies they might prefer? If anyone has read ARTBM by Mother Mary Francis, then you know that they grow a lot of their own food. I am wondering what kind of food may not grow very well down here in the South, as this might be more of a treat for them than something they grow in their own backyard! Aaaand I am guessing Roswell has a Walmart? LOL! If anyone knows/has visited Roswell, please let me know about the grocery store situation there. I read that its population is ~50,000 so they MUST have a Wally World. :)
[/quote]

My guess is that they probably have a garden, but they might not have raspberry/blueberry bushes or trees (peaches are in season right now!)

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1340223829' post='2446814']
Thank you Lisa! Do people ever home grow peaches?
[/quote]

Some people do, but they are kind of a picky tree, so it's less common.

Thank you! Sorry-my questions continue.

I think there are 23 sisters in the community-how much food should I bring for that many? I am guessing each does not need their own box of chocolates! I just don't know how much nuns eat, so I am unsure how many peaches would be enough for 20+ sisters.