An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pcc Visit-what To Bring Them?

emmaberry

OnlySunshine

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1340223829' post='2446814']
Thank you Lisa! Do people ever home grow peaches?
[/quote]

I have a peach tree in my backyard. I bought it at Lowe's 2 years ago and it produced it's first fruit last year. The peaches were VERY ripe and juicy. I already see baby peaches on it and I can't wait for harvest time. :)

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1340235419' post='2446867']
I have a peach tree in my backyard. I bought it at Lowe's 2 years ago and it produced it's first fruit last year. The peaches were VERY ripe and juicy. I already see baby peaches on it and I can't wait for harvest time. :)
[/quote]

How neat! You know what they say...."It tastes the best when you grow it yourself!"

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' timestamp='1340222568' post='2446806']
FRUIT, any kind of fruit! Fresh veggies, especially at this time of year! coagulated milk, cookies, tea! (I second the Earl Grey!) and believe it or not, fresh donuts are a HUGE treat! When we get them they are usually, well, sad....

Stamps are also a very good idea. Tuna fish, potato chips,

Really, the ordinary things bring us great joy and help us a lot!

The ice cream is a really great idea, as well! :-)

SMC
[/quote]

Thanks-it's wonderful to have a Sister's input on what a 'treat' is, convent style. :)

This might be a dumb question, but will they be annoyed if what I bring doesn't work out? I am guessing they will be grateful for anything, but I have this fear that I'll bring them something and Mother will be like, "Oh-we can't eat [i]that[/i]." I don't know why I think this, because she is so sweet over correspondence! Could just be my nerves...

OnlySunshine

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1340254040' post='2446998']
How neat! You know what they say...."It tastes the best when you grow it yourself!"
[/quote]

It's especially neat when the tree you have is a hybrid so you don't have to have two in order for cross pollination. Mine has flourished so well on it's own. I'm going to miss it if I go into religious life (God-willing) but my mom enjoys observing it, so I know she'll take care of it. :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

maximillion

I doubt any nun/sister would tell you to your face. Things to watch out for is if they are meat eaters or not - but then I guess you won't be toting 23 steaks!

Most communities accept whatever they are given with gratitude, and if someone gave the exact same thing yesterday you will probably never know, because they will accept that as His will.

Be careful over the chocolate.
Lots of communities get showered with chocs because lots of people (wrongly) think its something they will miss and that its not something they ever get.
We ALWAYS had chocolate in storage and used to have to give some of it away. :hehe2:

Wine - if they are allowed. If not then good quality juice in interesting varieties. (Mango, Pomegranate etc).

Strictlyinkblot

How about bananas? Also, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries. Nice bread is also appreciated. Don't worry, they'll be delighted to see you. Anything you bring will be acceptable.

AveMariaPurissima

As others have said, religious rely on God's Providence to supply their needs. They will be grateful for anything you bring.

Resist the urge to bring anything other than the office supplies. If they asked for those, they need them. Spend the money you would have spent on fruit on extra stamps. If there are 23 sisters writing home about twice a month, that's a lot of stamps. The Franciscans near us are supported by the community and we all think to bring fresh fruit and vegetables. None of us thought to donate stamps and office supplies until just recently when some of our children entered religious life. You could donate some nice pens too, the kind that glide when you write with them. People tend to donate the cheapest pens. By bringing just what they have asked for, you will be showing humility and obedience too.

[quote name='andibc' timestamp='1340317015' post='2447210']
Resist the urge to bring anything other than the office supplies....By bringing just what they have asked for, you will be showing humility and obedience too.
[/quote]

Thanks andibc! The above quote gave me a lot to ponder on. I am just worried that they might need more stuff but not want to overburden me. I love your math logic about the stamps though!:

[quote name='andibc' timestamp='1340317015' post='2447210']
Spend the money you would have spent on fruit on extra stamps. If there are 23 sisters writing home about twice a month, that's a lot of stamps.
[/quote]

OnlySunshine

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1340338022' post='2447325']
Thanks andibc! The above quote gave me a lot to ponder on. I am just worried that they might need more stuff but not want to overburden me. I love your math logic about the stamps though!:
[/quote]

Honestly, I don't think it's horrible if you bring more than they asked for. They are a mendicant community that lives off the donations of others, so I'm sure they have stuff they need besides office supplies. It's up to you what you bring, but you are not bound to obedience because you are not part of the community. Just my 2 cents worth... :)

Office supplies are obviously what they need -- but I know from experience that Sisters are reticent to ask for too much of any one person -- people are so generous and you don't want to take advantage of them. I also know Sisters are always happy with [u]whatever[/u] they get. You are not under obedience to them.... so you do not need to worry about that -- it's not like you are buying them meat (which they don't eat) or something else that will be more of a nuisance than a help! :)

maximillion

Just a wee note.

We used to be sent/offered the most amazing things, but the best was a couple of tons of bananas offered us by the port authority.
(There was a drought and our cows were starving - the bananas were not fit for human consumption but our cows could eat them. Ready made milk shake!!!!)

We were never so grateful as we were for this gift as it saved us having to slaughter our lovely cows.

Thanks everyone--maximillion, God was truly watching over your community's needs!

The problem, though, is that it gives me so much joy to give them everything they need/want--ESPECIALLY since I have a strong feeling this might be the community for me. I feel like I might be taking care of my future sisters..

Thank you Gemma!

I have another question, and if anyone reads this I would love for them to reply ASAP because I leave at the crack of dawn tomorrow....and that means am going to bed in a few minutes. ;) Do guest rooms outside the cloister usually have towels?

Edit: Thank you to anyone that might reply, and please pray for my discernment as I visit the Roswell PCCs! I will be almost heartbroken if this visit does not enlighten me in one way or another. Be assured of my prayers for y'all as well. God bless!

Edited by emmaberry