An Old School Catholic Message Board

Evening Sunday Mas.ses? (on Sunday)

filius_angelorum

filius_angelorum

So, the Latin Mass Community nearby has recently had their Sunday ma.ss time changed, per episcopal instructions, to 5:00 PM. I actually rather like evening ma.ss if a parish has no Sunday Vespers service. So, my question is, what are your opinions on a Sunday evening ma.ss? Do you hate it, prefer it, need it, love it, avoid it, etc.?

Edited by filius_angelorum

Basilisa Marie

When I was in college, the major university mass was at 7pm on Sunday. I think it's a great way to remove any and all "natural" barriers for students to encourage them to go to mass (aka laziness). I generally prefer a morning marse, but I do love having an evening one available in case I sleep through my alarm. :)

inunionwithrome

During the school year, I much prefer the evening Marse. I think it is a wonderful option for those of us who are not early morning risers or morning risers in general. During the Summer, at our parish, 11AM is the latest. Granted it is still nice, but I do enjoy the 5 and think it helps those who work Sunday AM as well. :)

Spem in alium

I alternate between an early Mass and an evening Mass at 5:30pm. The evening Mass is a Youth Mas.s, so we often have young peope doing the readings, taking up the collection and singing with the choir. It's often a nice Mas.s, but I do prefer to go earlier in the morning. It helps to guide my day better :)

EDIT: forgot about the fiddler...

Edited by Spem in alium

AveMariaPurissima

Our parish has a Sunday evening Mas.s at 8:30. (We used to have a 6:30 pm too, but when we went from two priests down to one, we had to cancel it). I'm glad that that Mas.s is there for people who need it, I just don't like the idea of going to it myself. We pretty much always go to Mas.s in the morning. I like how it really sets the tone for the whole day. :)

i prefer to go to Sunday morning or Saturday vigil. when our city had an evening Sunday m[i]a[/i]ss, then usually I'd end up getting too tired to want to go.

HisChildForever

I go either at 6 or 7 on Sunday evening. I'm usually out late on Saturdays and I work Sundays during typical Mass times so it works for me.

I generally prefer Sunday morning or the Saturday vigil but there have been times when I've forgotten to set an alarm or been travelling when the evening Mass had been my only option. I have no negative feelings about it - the Mass is the Marse.

I never heard of Sun evening mass til i went to college. I think its a nice back up option!!

I never enjoyed Sunday evening Ma$s, but that b/c it is always been the guitar(s) Ma$s. :x
I wish I had the option of a Latin Ma$s Sunday evening b/c when I travel and return home, I need to go to Sunday evening Ma$s and I dread it even the one at my parish.

I would dislike a sunday night TLM as the only TLM option (it's hard to tell from OP if this is the only TLM mass). If there were both a morning and an evening TLM option then I think it'd be razzle dazzle.

Many traditional Catholics maintain the midnight to communion fast, and many others maintain the 3 hr fast before mass. With a 5pm mass time, those that fast midnight to mass would basically be fasting on Sunday in order to fast for communion, and Sunday is not a day intended for fasting.

filius_angelorum

A fair point, Slappo. However, originally it would have been a violation of canon law to have mass in the evening. I believe that Pius XII changed this so that there could be evening masses for workers. When he did this, the fast also changed to three hours, which would be about as long as one would have been fasting consciously under the old rules. My observation from this is that, really, it is a little bit over-the-top to fast from midnight until an evening mass.

And yes, unfortunately this is the only tlm :( Here's my argument sort-of in favor of evening masses. Really, the whole Sunday needs to be sanctified. In an ideal situation, this means mass in the morning, catechesis for the kids in the afternoon, a big family dinner, and Parish Vespers. Of course, this does not happen in most places. So, I rather like having something to go to on Sunday evening. In the morning I simply recite some Sunday-appropriate prayers, such as the Divine Office, and then it's off to Mass that evening. Not perfect, but you know.

Norseman82

There is one "Last Chance [size=4]Ma[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]s[/font]s[/size]" near DePaul University that is at 9:30 PM during the normal academic year. I think Loyola University (Chicago) may have had one even later.

TheresaThoma

[quote name='Norseman82' timestamp='1341273098' post='2451683']
There is one "Last Chance Ma[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]s[/font]s" near DePaul University that is at 9:30 PM during the normal academic year. I think Loyola University (Chicago) may have had one even later.
[/quote]
Saint Louis University also has a 9pm student Mass on Sundays. I was part of the choir there for a while. The daily Masses which rotated through the dorms (each dorm had a Mass on a certain day) started at either 9:30 pm or 10pm. It was great for the college students!