An Old School Catholic Message Board

Evening Sunday Mas.ses? (on Sunday)

filius_angelorum

[quote name='Amory' timestamp='1341298760' post='2451867']
Why is everyone trying to avoid typing "Mass"?
[/quote] There was a glitched filter that changed the word. I think it's been fixed now, though.

[quote name='AveMariaPurissima' timestamp='1341179824' post='2451264']
Our parish has a Sunday evening Mas.s at 8:30. (We used to have a 6:30 pm too, but when we went from two priests down to one, we had to cancel it). I'm glad that that Mas.s is there for people who need it, I just don't like the idea of going to it myself. We pretty much always go to Mas.s in the morning. I like how it really sets the tone for the whole day. :)
[/quote] I agree. I used to go to Sunday Mass in the evenings all the time, both to the Youth Mass in high school and to the Student Mass in college. Recently, though, I've started to realize that going to Mass in the morning on Sundays helps me to keep in mind the sanctity of the Lord's Day, for the rest of the day. The same goes for Saturday Vigils.. If I go on Saturday, then Sunday just doesn't feel like Sunday to me.

And the fasting is a valid point, too. Should one choose a more stringent fast before Mass, it's a bit easier to just not eat breakfast, than it is to have to watch the clock and make sure you don't snack or eat a meal or anything three hours before evening Mass.

I am NOT a morning riser. On Sunday mornings, my participation at the Holy Sacrifice (beat that, fiddler!) is limited. I get so much more out of it if I attend Saturday vigil, or Sunday night like I did in college.

franciscanheart

FYI The filter has been changed so that you can safely type Mass (and other similar words). Thank the boss.

fides quarens intellectum

we have a 4:30 pm here on Sundays, and i don't know what we would do with our grumpy little baby without it - mornings/early afternoons very often just aren't a good time for him. and, as for guitars, that's actually the "toned down" Mass in terms of music - piano and a few voices, so we like it. :)

fides' Jack

I would agree that only having an evening Mass (especially in the Extraordinary Form) isn't the most appealing option. If we were going regularly to the EF, I would much prefer to go in the morning and have Vespers in the evening - however, having a fussy baby makes [i]everything[/i] harder, anyway.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

As an undergrad I appreciated the evening Sunday mass. There was even one offered at 10:30pm.

homeschoolmom

I am always afraid to plan to deliberately attend the "Last Chance Mass" because I am so used to going in the morning, I *know* will forget. I do go to Saturday's vigil mass, though. I'm very glad that the church makes the Mass available to as many people as possible. It should be easy to go to mass, not difficult.

Norseman82

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1341703585' post='2453227']
I am always afraid to plan to deliberately attend the "Last Chance Mass" because I am so used to going in the morning, I *know* will forget. I do go to Saturday's vigil mass, though. I'm very glad that the church makes the Mass available to as many people as possible. It should be easy to go to mass, not difficult.
[/quote]

I know, I'd rather be sure that my obligation was taken care of right away.