An Old School Catholic Message Board

Psych Exam For Aspirancy

OnlySunshine

OnlySunshine

So, I just called Father's voice mail and reminded him about calling the psychologist again to see if he was back from vacation. It's been 2 weeks since his initial call and we haven't heard anything. Please pray that things get set in motion soon.

Also, I was wondering what it was like to get the psychological evaluation for aspirancy? What tests are usually included and is it an all day thing? I remember my friend, Sr. Mary Elizabeth, told me about it a few years ago, but I have forgotten. Did you do inkblot tests, personality tests, etc? How did you feel during the process?

I am excited and nervous about the exam because I know this is the one thing that is holding me back from continuing discernment. The Provincial Superior is awaiting the results. I'll be so relieved and happy when it's finished and I can move on. I am hopeful that I will be able to have the evaluation before school starts in the fall because I am registered full-time so I know I will be very busy with homework and studying -- especially because I am taking Human Anatomy & Physiology I with Lab. But I trust that God will work this out and I'm putting it in His hands. :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

Blessed&Grateful

Back in the day when I took the tests, it was a lengthy interview (about 2 hours) and several tests, eg, personality, situational etc. Don't remember it all since it has been 10+ years. I wasn't really nervous (but I don't get nervous about these sort of things.)

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Blessed&Grateful' timestamp='1341773672' post='2453552']
Back in the day when I took the tests, it was a lengthy interview (about 2 hours) and several tests, eg, personality, situational etc. Don't remember it all since it has been 10+ years. I wasn't really nervous (but I don't get nervous about these sort of things.)
[/quote]

I'm actually REALLY interested about the whole process. Psychology has always been fascinating to me. I loved taking the Myers-Briggs test and finding out about my personality and what is my core. My friend said that she learned she had a tendency towards homesickness, so it prepared her for when she went into the convent and didn't surprise her at all. I'm much more excited and interested than nervous. I think it's just the waiting that is causing some nervous issues, but I'm sure it will be fine. :)

HopefulBride

My test was about 3+ hours. As B&G said it was more like a lengthy interview with scenarios and some questions where I was asked to visit some situations or consider some situations and how I would handle them.

Prayers for you as you prepare to enter this next step in the discernment process.

HB

OnlySunshine

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1341780671' post='2453604']
My test was about 3+ hours. As B&G said it was more like a lengthy interview with scenarios and some questions where I was asked to visit some situations or consider some situations and how I would handle them.

Prayers for you as you prepare to enter this next step in the discernment process.

HB
[/quote]

Thank you for your answer! I was told, by my pastor, that the evaluation will take place on a Saturday and I'm fully expecting to stay there all day. I'm going to be tested by the same psychologist that interviews and evaluates the aspirants for the seminary in our diocese. It's nice to know that I won't have to travel far at all to have this done. My friend had to go to St. Louis which was a long 5 hour drive or pay for a plane ride there to have her evaluation completed. :)

OnlySunshine

Oh, I forgot to ask before:

[b]Did you have to pay for your evaluation and, if so, how much did it cost?[/b]

My pastor didn't mention any charge so I'm not sure if the diocese is billed or if it's covered or not. If it is billed to me, I hope it's not too much.

Blessed&Grateful

If I remember correctly the sisters paid for the evaluation. I went to their psychologist. And I don't think it was a huge expense as I had asked if I could pay and they said no.

HopefulBride

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1341789431' post='2453643']
Oh, I forgot to ask before:

[b]Did you have to pay for your evaluation and, if so, how much did it cost?[/b]

My pastor didn't mention any charge so I'm not sure if the diocese is billed or if it's covered or not. If it is billed to me, I hope it's not too much.
[/quote]

Even though I had insurance, my insurance company did not cover the expense (or was it that the Psychiatrist doesn't accept insurance for it, I don't quite remember) my eval cost 215 I think or something like that. Some insurance companies do cover that stuff so if you have insurance, inquire with them and with the psychiatrist. I actually went to the evaluator for my diocese too and it was my luck that she lives in my area.

OnlySunshine

Great news!!! I had started a 9 day novena to St. Therese of Lisieux asking her to plead for me so I can receive the appointment. I started TODAY! I just received a phone call from my pastor a few minutes ago and he finally got a hold of the psychologist that will be evaluating me. I haven't made the appointment yet because the office staff is on lunch break, but I left a message. I'm so thankful! St. Therese of Lisieux wasn't kidding when she said, "I want to spend my heaven doing good on earth." Praise God! :flowers:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1341796243' post='2453680']
Even though I had insurance, my insurance company did not cover the expense (or was it that the Psychiatrist doesn't accept insurance for it, I don't quite remember) my eval cost 215 I think or something like that. Some insurance companies do cover that stuff so if you have insurance, inquire with them and with the psychiatrist. I actually went to the evaluator for my diocese too and it was my luck that she lives in my area.
[/quote]

Unfortunately, I don't have insurance. I'm hoping it doesn't cost quite as much as yours. Father told me to tell the psychologist that I am a "candidate for a religious congregation" and to mention his name. I'm going to ask what the fee is when I hear back. They get back from lunch break in 15 minutes. :)

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Blessed&Grateful' timestamp='1341855251' post='2453953']
I am so excited for you, and saying a quick prayer of ThanksGiving!
[/quote]

Thanks B&G! :)

I talked to the psychologist and he set up the appointment for this Saturday, July 14th at 10am. He warned me that it would take about 4-5 hours to complete the assessment and that I should prepare to be there for several hours. He is really nice, too! He told me he is Catholic and has done the assessments for the seminary aspirants for our diocese about 5 years. This will be his first time doing an assessment for someone entering religious life -- especially for a woman -- but he has colleagues around the country that have done this assessment before for convents so he is going to consult with them. I also have to give him the information for the Provincial Superior so he can speak to her about what she needs and how she will read the written analysis. I called her and left a message to ask for permission to give her phone number and contact information so he can speak to her.

This is all very exciting! I found out that he doesn't usually charge the candidates for the testing -- the bill goes to either the diocese -- or the religious order, in my case. That brought me relief because I didn't know if I could afford it if the bill went to me.

Anyway, please pray that I can get my car repaired before this Saturday. It needs a tune-up so I have to take it to the maintenance shop this week to have them look it over. Otherwise, I'm going to have to catch a ride to the psychologist's office from my mom. :)

St. Therese of Lisieux -- pray for me! :flowers: