An Old School Catholic Message Board

Psych Exam For Aspirancy

OnlySunshine

HopefulBride

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1341859635' post='2454001']
Thanks B&G! :)

I talked to the psychologist and he set up the appointment for this Saturday, July 14th at 10am. He warned me that it would take about 4-5 hours to complete the assessment and that I should prepare to be there for several hours. He is really nice, too! He told me he is Catholic and has done the assessments for the seminary aspirants for our diocese about 5 years. This will be his first time doing an assessment for someone entering religious life -- especially for a woman -- but he has colleagues around the country that have done this assessment before for convents so he is going to consult with them. I also have to give him the information for the Provincial Superior so he can speak to her about what she needs and how she will read the written analysis. I called her and left a message to ask for permission to give her phone number and contact information so he can speak to her.

This is all very exciting! I found out that he doesn't usually charge the candidates for the testing -- the bill goes to either the diocese -- or the religious order, in my case. That brought me relief because I didn't know if I could afford it if the bill went to me.

Anyway, please pray that I can get my car repaired before this Saturday. It needs a tune-up so I have to take it to the maintenance shop this week to have them look it over. Otherwise, I'm going to have to catch a ride to the psychologist's office from my mom. :)

St. Therese of Lisieux -- pray for me! :flowers:
[/quote]

Yay for getting a call back soon and double yay for not having to worry about the bill.

I am praying for you chica.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1341859926' post='2454008']
Yay for getting a call back soon and double yay for not having to worry about the bill.

I am praying for you chica.
[/quote]

God bless you! :flowers:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Mary's Margaret' timestamp='1341861728' post='2454023']
Prayers for you. Don't you just love it when the Lord paves the way for you!!?!
[/quote]

Yes I do! St. Therese of Lisieux is my best friend in heaven and I am always pleasantly surprised when I ask her for a favor. I just love her so much! :love:

[i]After my death, I will let fall a shower of roses. I will spend my heaven doing good upon earth. I will raise up a mighty host of little saints. My mission is to make God loved...[/i]

[center][img]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-G8LJflH75xo/TrBBixr_1bI/AAAAAAAAFY0/wlNNHheNBmY/s1600/shower+of+roses.jpg[/img][/center]

So glad that your exam is free! :yahoo:

St Therese is SO amesome. I literally think she is on the edge of her seat waiting for us to ask for her help down here!

And I love the image in your last post-really beautiful.

July 14th is when my family and I go visit the Roswell Poor Clares-it's a big day for both of us! I will pray for you, and pass on your intention to the Roswell Poor Clares.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1341865389' post='2454054']
So glad that your exam is free! :yahoo:

St Therese is SO amesome. I literally think she is on the edge of her seat waiting for us to ask for her help down here!

And I love the image in your last post-really beautiful.

July 14th is when my family and I go visit the Roswell Poor Clares-it's a big day for both of us! I will pray for you, and pass on your intention to the Roswell Poor Clares.
[/quote]

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I would be honored to have the Roswell PCCs praying for me as I have admired Mother Mary Francis since I read [b][i]A Right to be Merry[/i][/b]. I will pray for you when I complete the next 8 days of my novena. I decided to keep praying it even though my intention was already answered on the first day. I'm just going to change the intentions! :)

OnlySunshine

In honor of St. Therese of Lisieux for a favor she bestowed upon me through God's grace today. I am so grateful for her heavenly friendship. :-)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YufnUupZMfc[/media]

OnlySunshine

I just got off the phone with the Provincial Superior of the order I am discerning. I called her to let her know to expect a call from the psychologist because he said he must speak with her before the assessment. This is the 3rd time I've spoken to her and she leaves me with a smile on my face. She is such a kind soul and I really respect and admire her. I am so thankful to have met her. Even if God wills that I should not enter here, I will have benefited from her advice. She even told me, "I love you!" which was amazing to hear.

After all this was completed today, I am relaxing with full knowledge and true joy that God is faithful! What a loving God He is! :love:

OnlySunshine

Thank you, ladies, for your prayers!

***My appointment has been rescheduled from 10am to 9am tomorrow morning. The psychologist had two cancellations before me, so his receptionist called and bumped me up. :)

I would like to share my journal entry with you today as I cannot help but rejoice from all that the Lord has revealed to me. It's amesome how things work out and Jesus helps us understand all that He wants of us. It takes time -- we can't rush God -- but the end result is truly worth it. This is my journal entry:

13th July 2012
St. Teresa of the Andes, Virgin & Carmelite nun

I have such joy at the thought of what is taking place tomorrow! On July 9th (Monday), I got the inspiration to pray a 9-day novena to St. Therese after seeing a beautiful picture of the saint on a Sister's Facebook page. I started it around 6:45am that morning and received a phone call from Father @ 12pm! St. Therese had been working hard all morning to plead in my favor. I just love her! How could I not? She is such an amazing friend!

It had felt like God was taking a long time to get the process moving, but I was trying so hard to remain patient. Not an easy task! Especially when I have been discerning for over 4 years and I feel ready to make the jump.

But my main reason for writing was because I was blessed to receive a blessing from God this morning. I remember 4 weeks ago at Church when I prayed in front of the Tabernacle before Mass, asking God to enlighten me and help me persevere. During the time where I was on the altar as an EMHC, receiving the Eucharist before serving, the choir started to sing, "Do Not Be Afraid (I Am With You)." I was so close to tears because I felt the Holy Spirit at that very moment. I believe it was God telling me that everything would work out soon. He wasn't messing around!

Ever since I received the phone call on Monday and I set the appointment, excitement (and some minor nervousness) has filled my soul. God is so good! I read the meditation and Mass readings from "The Word Among Us" magazine for July 13th. Four sentences caught my eye in the meditation:

[quote]Just do the next right thing. "Do not worry about tomorrow," Jesus says, "Tomorrow will take care of itself." "You will be given at that moment what you are to say."[/quote]

It's like Jesus was standing next to me, calming any storms in my soul. He is truly amazing and knows exactly what to say!

I also read the to the meditation for tomorrow because I didn't know if I'd have time tomorrow morning to read it. I am so glad I did:

[quote]
[i]Do not be afraid. (Matthew 10:26)[/i]

If Jesus were to ask you to do something, as he did when he sent his apostles out to preach and heal, it wouldn't be unusual to find yourself suddenly afraid. Fear is a natural reaction.

Maybe you're having a hard time understanding what he is asking of you. Or maybe you understand just enough to see potential difficulties or unpleasant consequences. Maybe you feel unprepared and unqualified, and so you are afraid you'll fail the Lord or make a fool of yourself. In all these responses, we see fear challenging faith.

If this describes you, then you're in good company! Consider Moses (Exodus 4:10; 13), Mary (Luke 1:30), Joseph (Matthew 1:20; 2:22), and the shepherds (Luke 2:10). Think about Peter, James, and John (Matthew 17:5-7), and the other disciples (John 14:27). That's a pretty impressive group of people!

Some fear, of course, is a gift of the Holy Spirit, like the awe and reverence we experience when we sense the holiness and majesty of God. But most of the time, our fear is the ordinary anxiety we feel when we are faced with the unknown or the unfamiliar.

Jesus knows that. He knows our hearts, and he still loves us! And so, repeating it three times, he tells the Twelve: Do not be afraid! You are beloved and infinitely precious to the Father. Not a sparrow falls to the ground without your Father's knowledge, and you are worth far more than sparrows. Every hair on your head is numbered (Matthew 10:29-31). There's no real reason to be afraid when he speaks. [b][color=#ff0000]He wants to reassure and encourage you, not condemn you. He wants to tell you how eager and excited he is to entrust you with a mission for the sake of his church.[/color][/b]

God loves you with overflowing love unstained by self-interest and undiminished by your imperfections. Yes, sometimes his words cause fear. But that's when to run [i]toward[/i] him, not away. Crawl into his lap and tell him about it. Let his love wash over you. Ask him to drive fear away and assure you that all is well.

[b][i]"Father, I want to fulfill your plan for me, but sometimes I'm afraid. Fill me with your love today. Let it wash away every hesitation and concern that holds me back from responding wholeheartedly to you."[/i][/b]
[/quote]

[u][i]Do not be afraid![/i][/u]

The song from Mass sounded in my heart and I felt so overwhelmed with love and thanksgiving for all the graces I have been given. Jesus knows exactly what to say to calm my fears. He is the best Spouse ever! :love:

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

OnlySunshine

Well, I'm halfway done with the psychological assessment. The appointment started @ 9am and was very intensive. We started out with the interview process after he explained the consent forms and I had to fill out some paperwork. Then, I had a 567 question test that was a personality inventory about your beliefs. After that, he administered the IQ test (the hardest part of the day) which lasted about 45 minutes to an hour. Then, we continued with the interview process, focusing on my history and background.

Unfortunately, we were not able to get everything completed today. For one thing, I was VERY tired after the IQ test and hungry. He warned me in the beginning that we would probably not get everything done because of how much needs to be completed. I also need to gather documents from my therapist and psychiatrist for the report and write a 6-page autobiographical statement regarding why I am discerning, what I think about the vows a religious takes, and what could prevent me from achieving the goal of entering religious life. I also need to gather my college transcripts, get a letter from my pastor as a reference, and add any written statements from people who know me well to help the psychologist better understand my relationship with others and my personality.

I'm returning to complete the assessment on July 28th @ 12:30pm and was told it should take 2-3 hours this time instead of 5 hours like it did today (9am to 2pm). I'd appreciate any prayers! Thanks! :)

:( It does sound straining....not looking forward to it. MM, how are you going about meeting with the Sister's preferred psychiatrist? I know the PCCs have this as well, but I am not sure what exactly it means. Glad your first day of exams/evaluations went well!