An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sisters Without Habits?

ToJesusMyHeart

DiscerningCatholic

As long as people don't say that the habit "oppresses sisters" and that they "feel sad whenever they see a sister wearing a habit because it shows just how oppressed the Church wants women to be", I'm good. 

Habits are really important to me and I probably wouldn't join a non-habited order. Habits speak volumes without saying anything. However, the apostolate, charism, and faithfulness to the Church are what matter the most. 

Edited by DiscerningCatholic

Some times y'all make me want to cry.... Poor Jesus having to listen to all this hair splitting when we could all just be using this time simply loving Him and each other together. :console:  Now That I think would bring true joy to his heart!

Back to my prayer :paperbag:

This, this and this.

:)

The beauty of the Church is that it allows us all to express our faith differently. There are different spiritualities and charisms and that diversity is beautiful. The habit (or lack thereof) is part of that beautiful diversity. Some may feel called to an order or community that wears it. Others may not. When I was discerning, the habit was something I felt was important to me. But my conversion was inspired by the sisters who taught me, and they did not wear a habit. Their witness went beyond what they wore. 

The Church allows us, both as lay people and in religious life, to express our faith is different ways and different devotions. Not sharing someone's particular devotion is okay, as long as one gives others respect for their choices. 

My first visual of a religious was back in the 1960's...and HABITS were the visual indicator to us lay children. And that is what we grew up with, that is what we were taught, that is what we knew, that was ALLwe knew, that was all we cared to know, (we didn't give it much thought to be honest! We had other things on our minds as children) first impressions are lasting impressions in my humble opinion. Therefor...as a child of the 60's..in honor of my very religious Catholic deceased beloved Grandmother and having lived acrossed from a convent..HABITS and RELIGIOUS go together. Modern...contemporary...no habit or modified...choice is a wonderful thing!!

Dear Sister,

I feel less in agreement over the issue of young Sisters (though I am admittedly somewhat cynical about a generation which often seems self-centered) and I have come to be less concerned about wondering what motivates a woman who loves others.

Dear Sister, I'm not too young but still I quite see myself belonging to that generation which is often self centered, and really, unfortunately I am very much. But no- I do not agree at all about young Sisters. I have known so many saints, young sisters that I really cry for how selfish, coward I am.

There are really many saints young people and I have known them.

Sorry, this from a person who -with honesty- don't appreciate too much your way of expressing your views sometimes.

The beauty of the Church is that it allows us all to express our faith differently. There are different spiritualities and charisms and that diversity is beautiful. The habit (or lack thereof) is part of that beautiful diversity. Some may feel called to an order or community that wears it. Others may not. When I was discerning, the habit was something I felt was important to me. But my conversion was inspired by the sisters who taught me, and they did not wear a habit. Their witness went beyond what they wore. 

The Church allows us, both as lay people and in religious life, to express our faith is different ways and different devotions. Not sharing someone's particular devotion is okay, as long as one gives others respect for their choices. 

Excellent and insightful post, EmilyAnn!

Sister Marie- I made that comment that you used a a example as not elaborating on. I actually gave my perspective on habits on either the first page or second. If there is going to be a ball back n forth on female religious wearing or not wearing habits..can anyone say the same with what the Pope or bishops etc wear or shouldn't wear?? And I agree, that this topic is actually meant for the debate section of Phatmass. Thank you for your input

PhuturePriest

Jesus has bigger problems on His hands than a Community not wearing a veil. Starving children in Africa, Catholics being oppressed, held captive, tortured and martyred every day in the middle east and China, having a 25% weekly Mass attendance in the U.S., 97% of Catholic women using birth control, those sorts of things. Can't we all just have our own personal opinions and let it go? Yes, it would be nice to pleasantly discuss this, but it is apparent that since this topic is very dear and personal to a lot of us (Including myself. I am an avid fan of the habit -- though I do not condemn non-habit wearing communities so long as they are not doing it to make a political statement), and due to this we cannot have a pleasant discussion without someone getting upset. Let us instead pray for religious, habited and non-habited, thank them for making the sacrifice they made, and perhaps then discuss something that is less hostile as this particular subject.

Edited by FuturePriest387

I wonder if the best way to deal with posts in the Vocation Forum that are argumentative or contentious is to cut and paste the contentious post into the Debate Forum and answer it there.  One can always leave a link to the response into the related thread in Vocations forum.  This means too that any issue raised can be debated out in the appropriate forum under a related thread heading -  and hopefully avoid the risk of the thread in Vocations Forum being locked and also Vocations Forum loosing in some threads the whole spirit of the forum, even the whole purpose of Vocations Forum.

I have decided to do this where any posts directed to me or my concetps are concerned - responses that are argumentative or contentious with some potential to develop into a debate.   Also, if I have some issue with a concept presented in the Vocations Forum.

One tip!  Charity is encouraged in the Debate Forum as well as stated under the Debate Forum heading - and should apply ideally in living The Gospel at all times as we are commanded to do -  including in the written word whether we are advised to do so or not.  Mea culpa!

Just in case someone wants to know how to create a link to an actual post. 

• Right click onto the post number in the top right hand corner of the post. 
  • In the drop down menu, click onto "Properties" 
  •  Highlight and copy the "Address (URL)" this paste will link to the actual post involved.

Anyway I prefer sisters with habit otherwise we couldn't have photos to post on the Women in habits threads.... :whistle:

Thank you Barbara Therese. I use a iPad mini...and don't know if it has the capabilities to do the copy paste ability. I know I can copy images. I don't have the smilies to add to posts either ;(

Hi Nikita -

Rather than take the thread off topic, I have replied to your post on Open Mic (using the process I suggested) in the hope that someone will be able to assist you.   Here is the link to my opening post in Open Mic.  The thread is titled: "IPad mini problem - Can you help?"

http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/126433-ipad-mini-problem-can-you-help/#entry2532098