An Old School Catholic Message Board

"call Me Maybe" - Vocations Edition

EmilyAnn

[quote name='NonNovi' timestamp='1345909805' post='2474072']
This reminds me a lot of this song (think Sound of Music, Maria singing about her favorite things) :hehe:

[i]Dalmatics on deacons and cassocks on priests,
habits on nuns and immovable feasts,
bishops in soutanes with big, gaudy rings -
these are a few of my favorite things.[/i]

[i]Devotions to Mary, novenas and stations,
fasting and penance on Days of Rogation,
High Mass and Low Mass and papal blessings –

[i]Rosaries and incense and fiddleback vestments,
BINGO on Mondays with homemade refreshments,
statues of angels with halos and wings –

[i]When RENEW strikes!
When the rail’s gone!
When I’m feeling sad,
I simply pop into a Solemn High Mass
and then I don’t feel so baaaaaad![/i]
[/quote]

Did you say somewhere on VS that English was not your first language and/or that you were bilingual? Just have to say those are far better English lyrics than I could've written!

mysisterisalittlesister

I<3fran was singing this yesterday on the way to final profession. I love this song! Great job!

mysisterisalittlesister

[quote name='NonNovi' timestamp='1345909805' post='2474072']
This reminds me a lot of this song (think Sound of Music, Maria singing about her favorite things) :hehe:

[i]Dalmatics on deacons and cassocks on priests,
habits on nuns and immovable feasts,
bishops in soutanes with big, gaudy rings -

[i]Devotions to Mary, novenas and stations,
fasting and penance on Days of Rogation,
High Mass and Low Mass and papal blessings –

[i]Rosaries and incense and fiddleback vestments,
BINGO on Mondays with homemade refreshments,
statues of angels with halos and wings –

[i]When RENEW strikes!
When the rail’s gone!
When I’m feeling sad,
I simply pop into a Solemn High Mass
and then I don’t feel so baaaaaad![/i]
[/quote] This rocks my socks :)

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1346117426' post='2475129']
Did you say somewhere on VS that English was not your first language and/or that you were bilingual? Just have to say those are far better English lyrics than I could've written!
[/quote]
Dutch is my first language, I also speak English and French and know German and Latin. But I never said I wrote that song myself :) Just something I found on the internet a while ago, seemed appropriate to post it here. I can only wish my English will be as good as that once.

DiscerningCatholic

What Makes You Beautiful...Catholic Edition (I didn't write this).

[color=#111111][font=Georgia, serif][size=4][background=rgb(249, 249, 249)]Your prayers are sure.[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#111111][font=Georgia, serif][size=4][background=rgb(249, 249, 249)]Your heart is pure.[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#111111][font=Georgia, serif][size=4][background=rgb(249, 249, 249)]Around your neck you wear a scapular[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#111111][font=Georgia, serif][size=4][background=rgb(249, 249, 249)]Don’t need make up
To cover up
Because your mantilla is enough.

I know the saints are interceding,
I know they intercede for you.

[Chorus]
Baby you light up the church with the light of His face
The way you smile you reflect redeeming grace
And when I see you at mass it ain’t hard to tell
That you know
Oh Oh
Jesus makes you beautiful

Your faith is surely most commendable
I love your use of those sacramentals
Your shining with the radiance of Mary
‘cause you know
Oh oh
Oh oh
Your faith’s what makes you beautiful

I’m g-grateful to
St. Anthony
When I look at you I know he intercedes.
If I were in
St. Peter’s chair
Your beauty would be infallibly declared.

[Chorus]…[/background][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='curiousing' timestamp='1345988029' post='2474416']
What I think is funny is that even the repetitiveness of the original song translates well into the discernment version, cuz we really do run the same things in our head over and over AND OVER again, a million times, when discerning, right?

Nice job!
[/quote]

Exactly! The song just fits perfectly, which is why when Lil'Mon suggested it I just couldn't help myself!

[quote name='DiscerningCatholic' timestamp='1346192603' post='2475446']
What Makes You Beautiful...Catholic Edition (I didn't write this).

[color=#111111][font=Georgia, serif][size=4][background=rgb(249, 249, 249)]Your prayers are sure.[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#111111][font=Georgia, serif][size=4][background=rgb(249, 249, 249)]Your heart is pure.[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#111111][font=Georgia, serif][size=4][background=rgb(249, 249, 249)]Around your neck you wear a scapular[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#111111][font=Georgia, serif][size=4][background=rgb(249, 249, 249)]Don’t need make up
To cover up
Because your mantilla is enough.

I know the saints are interceding,
I know they intercede for you.

[Chorus]
Baby you light up the church with the light of His face
The way you smile you reflect redeeming grace
And when I see you at mass it ain’t hard to tell
That you know
Oh Oh

Your faith is surely most commendable
I love your use of those sacramentals
Your shining with the radiance of Mary
‘cause you know
Oh oh
Oh oh
Your faith’s what makes you beautiful

I’m g-grateful to
St. Anthony
When I look at you I know he intercedes.
If I were in
St. Peter’s chair
Your beauty would be infallibly declared.

[Chorus]…[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

Love this.....I am totally singing this at the retreat....

Strictlyinkblot

Absolutely love this DiscerningCatholic! Thanks for posting. Are you going to the next DSMME retreat Lil'Mon?

ChristinaTherese

Another parody, this time of "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" pulled off of SheIsCatholic's youtube page, but she didn't write the words.

Video:
SheIsCatholic (who changed some of the words, but otherwise pulled it from the next people) and some people whose names I have no idea how to spell but go by shanearyn on youtube (and I think actually wrote the parody), both have videos on youtube.

Anyway, the lyrics are here:

[color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(235, 235, 235)]Go to mass in the morning light[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(235, 235, 235)]Mother Mary says what you going to do with your life?[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(235, 235, 235)]Oh mother dear I wish to serve Him as one[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(235, 235, 235)]And girls just wanna be nuns[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(235, 235, 235)]Oh and girls just wanna be nuns[/background][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(235, 235, 235)]Had a dream in the middle of the night[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(235, 235, 235)]My beloved asked me to be His for the rest of my life![/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(235, 235, 235)]Oh yes! You've always been number one[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(235, 235, 235)]And girls just wanna be nuns[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(235, 235, 235)]Oh and girls just wanna be nuns[/background][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(235, 235, 235)]That's all they really want[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(235, 235, 235)]Is to be nuns[/background][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(235, 235, 235)]Discernment retreats, would you like to come?[/background][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(235, 235, 235)]Jesus made us beautiful girls[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(235, 235, 235)]We love who He is and want to tell the rest of the world[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(235, 235, 235)]I want to be the one who walks with the son[/background][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(235, 235, 235)]*Now I'm sorry to you guys [/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(235, 235, 235)]who are out there's looking for a nice wife[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(235, 235, 235)]You might be able to convince her of otherwise[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(235, 235, 235)]But I wouldn't try[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(235, 235, 235)]Sorry.[/background][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(235, 235, 235)]Edits: I had no clue that it would make the videos actually appear. So I fussed with things and then cut the videos. (I hope, but we'll see if this takes.... I don't know how this beast is run.)[/background][/size][/font][/color]

Edited by Christina Thérèse

[quote name='Strictlyinkblot' timestamp='1346238413' post='2475711']
Absolutely love this DiscerningCatholic! Thanks for posting. Are you going to the next DSMME retreat Lil'Mon?
[/quote]

Yep in November I shall be attending......so I will see Lisa!!!

PhuturePriest

I'm always so jealous that you girls have retreats. I have never seen a male vocations retreat in my life! This is probably because men do not have the word "retreat" in their vocabulary. :flex2:

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1346307131' post='2476204']
I'm always so jealous that you girls have retreats. I have never seen a male vocations retreat in my life! This is probably because men do not have the word "retreat" in their vocabulary. :flex2:
[/quote]

The Cistercians in Dallas have a weekend retreat in January, I think. Though male retreats do seem few and far between compared to women's retreats.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1346384400' post='2476555']
The Cistercians in Dallas have a weekend retreat in January, I think. Though male retreats do seem few and far between compared to women's retreats.
[/quote]

Is it for men even under the age of eighteen? This is the sticking-point that women vocations retreats have over male vocations retreats, if we are so blessed as to come across one.