An Old School Catholic Message Board

Emmaberry's Pcc Countdown

emmaberry101

+ Praised be Jesus Christ! +

In about* 3 and a half months I will be entering the Roswell Poor Clares!

I beg your prayers in these next months. I will be spending less time on VS for the obvious reasons as well as some not so obvious, which are listed below. Be assured of my prayers for all of you, especially those discerning! If I have any (unworthy) advice to give to anyone struggling with discernment, it is to try not to be discouraged! I was so lost just this past May, wondering what Our Lord had planned. It is amazing and very humbling how quickly things can change, so persevere in your prayer and discernment, even if things don't seem to be 'happening' in our earthly sense. God is in charge and too often we only realize this with our 20/20 hindsight! I know that is the case with myself, at least.

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1347678340' post='2482553']
Your Sisters are quick! Mine still haven't contacted me and I had my test before you. :blush:
[/quote]

You have the patience of a saint, MM! This discrepancy in our timing may have to do with some of the time-sensitive issues surrounding my application.

First, to make a long story short, I will be living with the Dallas Missionaries of Charity for two separate two-week periods to accustom myself to the life of a Sister. This is recommended for most young girls approaching entrance into the cloister by Mother and the nun's psychologist. I was very glad Mother gave me enough time to speak with the Sisters and schedule this! If she had postponed giving me an answer, that would have been quite hectic, so this might have been why she told me so soon.

Second, Mother wanted me to enter in January, because of the weather. She said that the summer heat (with no/very little AC) can make the transition difficult for entrants. I also think most communities try to give you at least a three month period in between the acceptance and entrance date, so this answer was right on time!

Third, the psychologist flies in to give the nuns annual classes, I believe. This January, the courses will deal with subjects Mother thought would be edifying for me, so I will enter before he comes in.

Fourth, I didn't feel like it was that quick of an answer, but that just shows how ungrateful I am! It felt like a long time, but I had no previous experience to compare it to. I will keep your intentions in my prayers as you wait for your answer! That must be very difficult.

Sneak peak of the heaps of new pictures which will be on their new website, which the novitiate (of one :P) kindly let me look over. I wish it was up now! New music, pictures, information.. :love:
Please keep the novice in your prayers as she makes her first holy vows November 1st. We were joking about the perks and hardships of a one-person novitiate. One perk is the closer relationship between the girl in formation and her Dear Mistress. It is amazing to see how close the novice and Dear Mistress are-they do spend a lot of time together!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqfTVcrRTqs&feature=youtu.be

Holy Mother Francis giving Saint Clare's Abbatial Blessing-her voice is lovely:
[size=4]"May Almighty God bless you. [/size]
[size=4]May He look upon you [/size]
[size=4]with the eyes of his mercy [/size]
[size=4]and give you peace. [/size]
[size=4]On earth may He pour forth [/size]
[size=4]His graces on you abundantly, [/size]
[size=4]and in heaven may He bless you [/size]
[size=4]among His saints."[/size]

*About meaning January 1, 2, 6, or 13. :lol:
** During a litany, I heard the nuns say, "Holy Mother Clare, [i]pray for us[/i]. Holy Mother Colette, [i]pray for us[/i]. Holy Mother Francis, [i]pray for us[/i]." It was unexpected and really touching.

Edited by emmaberry101

Repeating my message on the Discerning /Entered thread :-

I'm so pleased for you Emma . Mother Francis is certainly looking after you very caringly. I'm sure that the next three months will fly by.!! Many,many prayers for you at this time.

[quote name='emmaberry101' timestamp='1347696683' post='2482669']
You have the patience of a saint, MM! This discrepancy in our timing may have to do with some of the time-sensitive issues surrounding my application.

First, to make a long story short, I will be living with the Dallas Missionaries of Charity for two separate two-week periods to accustom myself to the life of a Sister. This is recommended for most young girls approaching entrance into the cloister by Mother and the nun's psychologist. I was very glad Mother gave me enough time to speak with the Sisters and schedule this! If she had postponed giving me an answer, that would have been quite hectic, so this might have been why she told me so soon.

Second, Mother wanted me to enter in January, because of the weather. She said that the summer heat (with no/very little AC) can make the transition difficult for entrants. I also think most communities try to give you at least a three month period in between the acceptance and entrance date, so this answer was right on time!

Third, the psychologist flies in to give the nuns annual classes, I believe. This January, the courses will deal with subjects Mother thought would be edifying for me, so I will enter before he comes in.

Fourth, I didn't feel like it was that quick of an answer, but that just shows how ungrateful I am! It felt like a long time, but I had no previous experience to compare it to. I will keep your intentions in my prayers as you wait for your answer! That must be very difficult.
[/quote]

I don't want to take over your thread or anything, but it has been especially difficult this past week. I'm seeing my Sisters next week and it just makes me think of the impending news when I hadn't before. I prayed tonight that God would give me the peace and grace I need to continue to be strong and patient. It hasn't been easy, but only through His grace have I survived. There is a deep longing in my heart to be a religious Sister and I pray that day will come soon. For now, I'm trying to distract myself with prayer, schoolwork, and my new hobby (counted cross-stitch). :)

As for your good news, I think the Sisters are very wise to encourage new members to live with a congregation. I understand that you can't do a live-in with them since they take the vow of enclosure, but having any sort of experience living with a community is sure to help. I also like that they are acclimating the postulants slowly by bringing them in when the weather is good. Not many people consider that contemplative life as a Poor Clare can be difficult but their poverty does not allow them the comforts that we have outside in the world. I'm sure they have a high number of successful members because of their understanding.

I will pray for you as you prepare yourself to enter in 3 months. :nun1:

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

So very pleased for you. You've been in my prayers - and I can quite believe it didn't feel like a quick answer! I'm lousy at patience myself :hehe2: . Hope the next three months or so are a blessed time for you and your family. Deo gratias.

Praise God for your news E.......

This sounds like such a good preparation and I am sure you will be blessed during and because of it.
Prayers........................

Many, [u]many[/u] prayers! God bless you on your journey!!!!!!! :)

I will miss you on VS!

Please keep the rest of us in your good prayers!

Edited by mantellata

Emma, I am so very happy for you! You are always in my prayers as well as all of those on VS, and I ask your prayers especially for my parents. Have you talked to your parents about your acceptance? I haven't told mine about asking to apply--I'm going to visit my sisters next weekend and then in a month so hopefully I'll get my papers one of those times!

:nun2: So happy for you!!!

Very excited for you and will be especially praying for you over the next few months. Ignore the temptations, discouragements and distractions that will come your way especially in relation to your family. We've been through this twice and despite being "very Catholic" and positive about religious life the attacks on and through the family are incredible. Praying for your parents too.

Praise be Jesus Christ indeed! I must have missed the announcement of your acceptance while I was on vacation - I'm so so happy for you. As always, you are in my prayers.

Yay, this is so wonderful Emma!!! :clap: Very happy for you! As usual I want to prop but need to wait to for more :proud: And yes, you will be missed on here VS. Your presence here has [u]truly[/u] been a joy! :nun1: That is avvesome that the Sisters want you spending time with the Missionaries of Charity first!! super kewl! But seriously, what a great preparation! They are so wise to do that :like:

Chiara Francesco

Great news for you Emma! My prayers are with you! Roswell is such a great community and it is wonderful they still reverence Mother Mary Francis like that! She left them such a legacy of the authentic Poor Clare Colettine life.

You will be in my prayers.

Thank you for the encouraging responses! I especially appreciate the forewarning against temptations and discouragement. I was just telling Mother how every time I visit I know that is the place where God wants me, but immediately when I leave I second-guess myself and think 'perpetual fast?' 'limited sleep?' 'bare feet in the winter?'. This happens immediately after I drive home without fail.

I made this paper countdown chain today, but had to hide it because it made my family so upset. These next months (~107 days) will be very interesting, to say the least!
[img]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-EJdjQQixGc4/UFT_-1jcEHI/AAAAAAAAAJI/xm-14qOKai4/s128/IMG_1621.jpg[/img]

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1347700971' post='2482675']
I don't want to take over your thread or anything, but it has been especially difficult this past week. I'm seeing my Sisters next week and it just makes me think of the impending news when I hadn't before. I prayed tonight that God would give me the peace and grace I need to continue to be strong and patient. It hasn't been easy, but only through His grace have I survived. There is a deep longing in my heart to be a religious Sister and I pray that day will come soon. For now, I'm trying to distract myself with prayer, schoolwork, and my new hobby (counted cross-stitch). :)

As for your good news, I think the Sisters are very wise to encourage new members to live with a congregation. I understand that you can't do a live-in with them since they take the vow of enclosure, but having any sort of experience living with a community is sure to help. I also like that they are acclimating the postulants slowly by bringing them in when the weather is good. Not many people consider that contemplative life as a Poor Clare can be difficult but their poverty does not allow them the comforts that we have outside in the world. I'm sure they have a high number of successful members because of their understanding.
[/quote]

You are totally fine! This thread (and any countdown thread) would be incredibly boring and dull if it were just the OP posting about themselves! (If I am dull and boring, my apologies. :blush:)Still praying for you, as that must be nerve-wracking! You seem at peace with whatever God's will is, though, and that is so wonderful!

Yes, the transition is extreme, to say the least. I think it is a hard transition for any girl to enter most any community today, as young people are often very independent or 'me'-centric. You are correct that they do not allow live-ins, but I don't feel like a live in would really benefit me. I am sure this is rare though, because most people find live-ins extremely beneficial! I am sure it would be nice if they allowed them, but one of the things that attracted me to the PCCs was their love of their enclosure, so I consider the lack of a live-in a fair trade for the fourth vow of enclosure they make!

Speaking of enclosure, being measured for the postulant garb was a real hoot. I could not cross the threshold of the cloister, and they could not cross the threshold to the outer rooms where visitors could enter. I stood right on the threshold, and they leaned over and measured me. There was a lot of hidden significance concerning the enclosure in that moment for me, no matter how silly it may have looked to a third party!

Edited by emmaberry

Very VERY happy for you, Emma!

.... and holding your parents & family in prayer. It is VERY hard for the families and friends, and we need to be respectful, loving & pray a lot for them....

Mater, holding you in loving prayer as well. God must love you very much to ask such a radical openness to His will from you. Whatever the answer, we will be here for you, too...

Edited by AnneLine

[quote name='AnneLine' timestamp='1347757667' post='2482832']
Very VERY happy for you, Emma!

.... and holding your parents & family in prayer. It is VERY hard for the families and friends, and we need to be respectful, loving & pray a lot for them....

Mater, holding you in loving prayer as well. God must love you very much to ask such a radical openness to His will from you. Whatever the answer, we will be here for you, too...
[/quote]

God bless you, AnneLine. I am going to start a novena to St. Therese of Lisieux when it gets closer to her feast day. She helped me the last time when I couldn't get an appointment for the psychological exam so I know, whatever the outcome, she'll be there. :love:

Congratulations Emma! You must be so excited. I definitely understand how you can go from feeling so lost not too long ago and then bam! Doors begin to fly open. When it's time, Our Lord doesn't waste a minute. You are right, discouragement can be a huge temptation in discernment, I've gone through it myself, and it does pay off to have confidence and complete trust in Him especially when we are feeling lost. I'm very happy you have found your home. I will continue to pray for you. :nun3: