An Old School Catholic Message Board

Emmaberry's Pcc Countdown

emmaberry101

Wow, that's so amesome Emma!!! Are you going to Rome too? Will you guys be renting a car? I think I'll have a bunch of shrines to recommend around Assisi, if you can get to them that is .. like Montefalco (Foligno on the way) & Citta di Castello :saint: (two saints!)

I had a question about the list.. It says to bring a Missal. Do you think it means Sunday or Daily? If daily, can any of you recommend a good (cheaper) daily Missal? Thanks!

[quote name='Chiquitunga' timestamp='1352177510' post='2505006']
Wow, that's so amesome Emma!!! Are you going to Rome too? Will you guys be renting a car? I think I'll have a bunch of shrines to recommend around Assisi, if you can get to them that is .. like Montefalco (Foligno on the way) & Citta di Castello :saint: (two saints!)
[/quote]

I had a strange feeling that you knew all about these places Chiquitunga! That is great that you have visited, as you are so knowledgeable and can help me a lot, I am sure. :P

Seriously, though: Yes, we are going to Rome and we will be renting a car (Italian driving is MAD-so scared). It will be nice to be back there with my family, specifically my little brother and sister who I have not travelled 'across the waters' with much.

Funny you mention Foligno, I think Mother Angela is named for Bl Angela of Foligno!! Yes, please recommend all the shrines you remember. We only have a week or so, but I know my dad (our trip planner extraordinaire) has a lot going on with work, so he will appreciate anything I can bring to the table that would ease his burden of research and the like.

How much time is good (more like necessary with our short time frame) for these shrines? Thanks Chiqui!

EDIT: Oh my goodness! I was looking for more information on Blessed Angela of Foligno and happened across this wonderful picture of Mother Angela in the choir of the Roswell Monastery. The doors she is standing at are are split into four panels. The top right is opened so the nuns can receive the Holy Eucharist, the top two are opened only for special occasions (vows, whatever was happening when this picture was taken, etc) In A Right to Be Merry, Mother Francis said that she had only seen all four panels opened once when Cardinal Meyer (? Not sure about the name) walked in. This may have happened again since that was published decades ago, though.

I think Mother Angela is really beautiful (very similar to Mother Francis in that way), but I [i]may[/i] be biased. Speaking of bias pertaining to (future) Religious Superiors, I do wonder why I here people speak so infrequently on VS about the Superior of the place they are joining. Is this due to privacy, or to not knowing the Superior that well before entering, or something else? My curiosity has gotten the best of me. :pinch:

[img]http://www.freewebs.com/revsfo/photos/Poor%20Clares%20Pilgrimage/100_2316.JPG[/img]

Edited by emmaberry101

Pace e Bene, Emma!! Well, although I do know a little Italian and some things about their culture, I have actually never been there!!! :o I wish!!!! :beg: But I do have fun looking up the places of my favorite saints on Google maps, and checking them out via street view, etc. :like: It's an inexpensive way to travel! :hehe:

But yeah, if you have limited time, well those three places not far from Assisi (Montefalco for the "other" St. Clare, Foligno & Citta di Castello) would be super cool to see!! And personally for me the most important is St. Veronica Giuliani's monastery!!! (although Blessed Margaret of Castello is there as well and that would be wonderful too)

[url="http://www.santaveronicagiuliani.it/"]http://www.santaveronicagiuliani.it[/url]

[url="http://www.innertravelbooks.com/pages/excerptsItaly5.html#StVeronicaG"]http://www.innertrav...tml#StVeronicaG[/url] (make sure you scroll down to details about visiting there .. Montefalco & Foligno are there too)

If you go, can you bring back that "Nun on Fire" book for me? I know they also used to have a little English one "The Purgatory of Love" but maybe this English "Nun on Fire" book replaced that ..

Something else I've heard that's a challenge you have to work around is that a lot of these little shrines have limited hours when they are open.. and they are always closed for Siesta! :sleep2: (whereas in Rome they tend to stay open all day) So you have to plan wisely around that. I know of some people who went to Montefalco but didn't get to go inside St. Clare's shrine and monastery as it was closed and wasn't going to be open for a long while .. so just a heads up there :like:

Edit: something else I heard is that a lot of these super old churches all of a sudden might be closed due to needed repairs without warning .. so something else to keep in mind/ask about if possible.

Do you know if you could travel as far as Bologna? That's pretty far .. St. Catherine of Bologna's incorrupt body is there ..

In Florence is St. MM de Pazzi & St. Teresa Margaret! :heart:

p.s. that's so amazing you found that picture of Mother Angela!!!!! ahhh!!!!! Yes, their monastery here in Palos Park is just like that with the doors that open half way for Holy Communion and professions.

Edited by Chiquitunga

Totally Franciscan

What a wonderful surprise your parents are taking you to Assisi! I have been there twice, and it is my favorite place in the world. I know you will love it. As a future Poor Clare, the richness of the city will envelop you in the spirit of Francis and Clare. Please take a very small English-Italian dictionary, as it will be invaluable. Since the city is very much a tourist city, a lot of people will understand your English, but just be on the safe side and take the dictionary. You absolutely must go to see St. Clare in the lower level of her monastery. A Poor Clare will be sitting inside with St. Clare, and when you arrive you tell her what language you speak, and she will give a little history about St. Clare. When I was there, she passed out holy cards of Holy Mother Clare. Unfortunately, they have now covered her face with a mask, probably due to deterioration. When I was there, her face was showing. Sister explained that her face was black due to exposure to air, despite the fact that she is in a sealed glass casket.

I seem to recall that there is some work being done on the Basilica of St. Francis. It would be such a same for you to miss being at the tomb of St. Francis. Seems to me you could google these things for the latest information. I hope I am wrong about this.

Of course, you have to go to the Portiuncula; I apologize as I can't remember the name of the church where it is located, but that too can be googled. Oh, and please do not miss San Damiano, the first monastery of the Poor Clares; it is so beautiful and absolutely charming. I hope this helps, and if I think of anything else, I will send it along. What a wonderful adventure!

ChristinaTherese

[quote name='emmaberry101' timestamp='1352089258' post='2504306']
New blog post: [url="http://entitledtopoverty.blogspot.com/"]http://entitledtopoverty.blogspot.com/[/url]

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][size=4]Dialogue

I am glad I thought of philosophers,
God said.
Their strenuous efforts swear in public confession
How my thoughts are not the thoughts of men.

Engineers to pan all stuff of earth
Are good
For witness of my ways' meandering
With casual mirth the sweat of all invention

Artists to keep my archives in good
Order,
Poets to epic major enterprises
Of mine, spread out my glory everlasting.

The whole arrangement I have made,
God said,
Has worth. I like that race of theologians
Turning my diamond, face by face, on men.

Only I wish someone would chance
Along
To marvel at a candle through a window,
Slosh bare-ankled in the dew, and laugh

Because my ballerina gnats annoy
Some larger, graver creatures
No one saw, I fear, (God said)
The mint blade in the gravel.

I know men are so busy telling
The story of me (even if unknowing).
I shall not regret the captains, thinkers,
Doers, talkers, workers,
Even makers. I only wish
(God said)
There could be someone now to notice things
I do just for your pleasure.

And I said:
Lord, take me![/size][/font]

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][size=4]EDIT: -Mother Francis, PCC[/size][/font]
[/quote]
:love: This kind of describes my feelings about vocation much of the time.... Where did you get these poems, Emma? They're lovely.

Mary's Margaret

What a wonderful, blessed time you will have with your parents and siblings, and such sweet memories to take with you into your new life.
God is so good....and so are your parents. Blessings on you all.

I'm glued to the election coverage at the moment, so I will reply to the wonderful travel advice in a later post, along with a poem!

[quote name='Christina Thérèse' timestamp='1352233543' post='2505265']
:love: This kind of describes my feelings about vocation much of the time.... Where did you get these poems, Emma? They're lovely.
[/quote]

Aren't they, Christina Thérése? They are in my most recent purchase from the Monastery, [i]Summon Spirit's Cry[/i] by Mother Francis. You can buy it from Ignatius Press, Amazon, Barnes and Noble online, etc. Here is a preview (43 pages!) on Google: [url="http://books.google.com/books?id=3x2-PqUCJXsC&pg=PA1&lpg=PA1&dq=summon+spirits+cry&source=bl&ots=jJzDuy00ll&sig=juNfmupLDmR-xhfDh1-q2uirrPw&hl=en&sa=X&ei=W6eZUO7jEYrm2QWapoH4BQ&ved=0CHsQ6AEwDg#v=onepage&q&f=false"]http://books.google....epage&q&f=false[/url]

Edited by emmaberry101

Thank you all for the travel advice. My dad is (understandably) not in the mood to talk about our family trip tonight, but I will definitely let him know about your superb suggestions asap. Edit: Thanks again.

Fitting poem for the disgrace of this election:

[center][size=5][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][i] ​ Carcere Crucifix:[/i][/font][/size][/center]
[center][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=5][i] ​ A Responsory[/i][/size][/font][/center]
[center]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif] Thou way unwalked:[/font][/size][/center]
[center]​ my hurt Beloved![/center]

[center][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif] Thou truth debated:[/font][/size][/center]
[center][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]​ my hurt Beloved![/font][/size][/center]

[center][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif] Thou life unlived:[/font][/size][/center]
[center][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]​ my hurt Beloved! [/font][/size][/center]

[center]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif] Thee will I walk,[/font][/size][/center]
[center][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]​ unshod and smitten.[/font][/size][/center]

[center][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Thee will I tell,[/font][/size][/center]
[center][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]​ and who will listen?[/font][/size][/center]
[center]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Thou will I live[/font][/size][/center]
[center][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]​ in high ambition[/font][/size][/center]

[center]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif] To ease Thy hurt, Beloved.[/font][/size][/center]

Edited by emmaberry101

Chiara Francesco

This is a poem I love by a Sr. Miriam Judith, a deceased nun of the PCCs in the Ty Mam Duw monastery in Wales. It is a beautiful poem of the Poor Clare Colettine:

[i][size="3"][b]"The wounded hands of Jesus,
outstretched, to me entreat,
who, running, fall before him
to kiss his wounded feet.
So, barefoot, as a beggar,
may I thy bride, Lord, be.
I lay my hand in thine, Lord,
for I belong to thee."[/b][/size][/i]

[i][size="3"]- Sr. Miriam Judith of the Holy Trinity[/size][/i]
[i][color="#000000"][font="Times New Roman"][size="3"]PCC Ty Mam Duw, Wales[/size][/font][/color][/i]

AccountDeleted

[center]

[b][u][img]http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab166/nunsense/crucifix-1.jpg[/img][/u][/b][/center]

[center][b][u]Somebody Else[/u][/b]

[i]Somebody Else had a heavier cross,[/i]
[i]Than the one I bear today,[/i]
[i]And the path were far too steep for me,[/i]
[i]Had not Somebody led the way.[/i]

[i]Somebody Else had a sadder heart[/i]
[i]Than the weary one in my breast,[/i]
[i]Somebody’s aching thorn crowned Head[/i]
[i]Had nowhere to lie in rest.[/i]

[i]Somebody Else’s tired Hands[/i]
[i]And Somebody’s wounded Feet,[/i]
[i]Were never too weary to minister[/i]
[i]And somebody’s smile was sweet.[/i]

[i]Somebody’s Head was bent[/i]
[i]Not with the weight of years,[/i]
[i]And the light in somebody’s beautiful Eyes[/i]
[i]Was dimmed by many tears.[/i]

[i]Somebody else’s love was spent[/i]
[i]And tears were wept in vain,[/i]
[i]Shall I then count my weeping lost[/i]
[i]Or grudge a little pain?[/i]

[i]Somebody Else was left alone[/i]
[i]Beneath an olive tree,[/i]
[i]And nobody cared for Somebody Else[/i]
[i]More than they do for me.[/i]

[i]But away past life’s dull gloaming[/i]
[i]Across the crystal sea,[/i]
[i]Somebody Else and I shall love[/i]
[i]For all eternity.[/i]

©Carmel, Tallow[/center]

That is so wonderful that you are going to Assisi. I have not been there, but I have been to Rome and it is absolutely amazing. I am sure it will be a wonderful experience to have with your family before your entrance!

Rosa immaculata

Ave Maria!

Waow, you are so lucky to go to Assisi!! :dance3: I am jealous, lol! What an amazing grace St Clare and St Francis are offering to you!
I have been in Rome, but not in Assisi (yet!!!). Enjoy this marvellous trip with your parents (they seem to be marvellous !! I don't know if mine will do the same thing when I tell them I want to be a nun :wall: )...

Prayers for you, the cloister is coming for you! :clap:

[quote] [color=#282828]I had a question about the list.. It says to bring a Missal. Do you think it means Sunday or Daily? If daily, can any of you recommend a good (cheaper) daily Missal? Thanks![/color]
[/quote]

The missal that you will want to have in the cloister is the complete (Sunday and Daily) one.

I just did a little search and found this:
[url="http://store.pauline.org/English/Books/tabid/126/ProductID/3774/txtSearch/missal/List/0/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName"]http://store.pauline...ame,ProductName[/url]

This new missal has the new translation of texts. It's not cheap but it is a very good prize for the complete missal -three Sunday cycles, and two weekday years of readings. I really recommend it. You will treasure it in the monastery.

Many blessings and prayers for you,
Orans

[quote name='Orans' timestamp='1352319420' post='2505932']
The missal that you will want to have in the cloister is the complete (Sunday and Daily) one.

I just did a little search and found this:
[url="http://store.pauline.org/English/Books/tabid/126/ProductID/3774/txtSearch/missal/List/0/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName"]http://store.pauline...ame,ProductName[/url]

This new missal has the new translation of texts. It's not cheap but it is a very good prize for the complete missal -three Sunday cycles, and two weekday years of readings. I really recommend it. You will treasure it in the monastery.

Many blessings and prayers for you,
Orans
[/quote]

May God reward you Orans! The price doesn't look bad at all, especially for an updated Missal. I think it's the one! :P

[quote name='emmaberry101' timestamp='1352333335' post='2506205']
May God reward you Orans! The price doesn't look bad at all, especially for an updated Missal. I think it's the one! :P
[/quote]

Glad to be of help :P

This thread brings me fond memories of my preparations for entrance into the cloister.... This is an incredible Grace and a step that I'm sure you will never regret -no matter what the future might hold.

God bless you, Emma!