An Old School Catholic Message Board

Emmaberry's Pcc Countdown

emmaberry101

[quote name='emmaberry101' timestamp='1353132390' post='2511697']
Sorry about the poem (or lack thereof..) My computer is down and I have the poems on there.. If you are feeling generous, feel free to say a quick prayer for my MacBook-I don't care all that much about it since I'll be gone soon, but my family is not electronic-friendly, and I worry about them trying to deal with it once I am gone. If its not clear, I am the go-to gal for electronics within my family. May God reward you!
[/quote]

Ah, I totally understand! I wonder how my family will get on without me sometimes because I am the go-to person for electronics in my family. Even my grandmother called me about a week or so ago to ask me how she could buy something off Amazon. I'm also the one who loads new music onto my mom's iPod since she doesn't have her own computer (yet!). I don't know if they'll be able to cope. :hehe2:

[quote name='emmaberry101' timestamp='1353132390' post='2511697']
Sorry about the poem (or lack thereof..) My computer is down and I have the poems on there.. If you are feeling generous, feel free to say a quick prayer for my MacBook-I don't care all that much about it since I'll be gone soon, but my family is not electronic-friendly, and I worry about them trying to deal with it once I am gone. If its not clear, I am the go-to gal for electronics within my family. May God reward you!
[/quote]

Oh I'm that for my family too. Any time a problem comes up with a cell phone or a computer or something, the response is "EMILY!!!" I mean the weird things my mother manages to do to her cell phone baffle me entirely - I have no idea how she does it! I fear without me they will be technologically lost. :hehe:

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1353148978' post='2511758']

Oh I'm that for my family too. Any time a problem comes up with a cell phone or a computer or something, the response is "EMILY!!!" I mean the weird things my mother manages to do to her cell phone baffle me entirely - I have no idea how she does it! I fear without me they will be technologically lost. :hehe:
[/quote]

They should create a support group for those parents or family members who are technologically challenged and their daughters have left them for religious life. :hehe2:

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1353149390' post='2511759']

They should create a support group for those parents or family members who are technologically challenged and their daughters have left them for religious life. :hehe2:
[/quote]

Yes! Or some sort of a guide. "The Abandoned Family's Guide to Technology."

To Jesus Through Mary

BTW I was wrong on my friend- she entered the Poor Clare's in Alexandria, VA. :)

What is your entrance date again?

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1352862599' post='2509620']
I think you might be right here. In Carmel we don't make our beds before going down to choir though - almost the opposite in fact, we air them out by opening the blankets. We 'do our cells' in the time between Lauds and Mass and that's when we make our beds and tidy up. Then once a week we do the 'sweep' of our cells which is a full cleaning, including sweeping and mopping and dusting. During this time we even take our stool and work basket outside the cell and put everything else on the bed and turn the blankets up over the sides so we can get under the bed to sweep and mop - it's very thorough. I think one of the reasons that we don't do the cells before Lauds is because if a sister in the cell next to ours has 'late call' that day, we might disturb her by our cleaning. And yes, it is nice to be the first in choir too! :)
[/quote]

Is it nice to be the first in choir because being alone with Our Lord is special? I would guess that praying alone in choir is more amesome than praying alone in your (our) cell.

Uh-oh! Just pulled up and one of the Sisters is outside! Poor thing-she saw my car and started walking a little faster. I'm acting like I didn't see her. :ninja:

[quote name='Lil'Monster' timestamp='1353203614' post='2512070']
When are you leaving? Don't leave me... :sad:
[/quote]

Right now LilMon! The nuns are all lined up at the entrance door and just waiting for me to type out this reply.

:P

Just playing, it's January 13. 56 days!

Edited by emmaberry101

ChristinaTherese

[quote name='emmaberry101' timestamp='1353031888' post='2511011']
[size=4]Examination of Conscience[/size]

[size=4]I hiss at the uncomely cat[/size]
[size=4]To go and leave me Sunday in this grass,[/size]
[size=4](how did the creature slip past his Creator[/size]
[size=4]Without receiving dowry of that grace[/size]
[size=4]To cats peculiar?) So unfortunate,[/size]
[size=4]He bears his low-slung self on awkward legs[/size]
[size=4]Ridiculously thick.[/size]

[size=4]The clipped coat is[/size]
[size=4]Unstrokable black cotton. Stricken calls[/size]
[size=4]Of everlasting hunger are his song.[/size]

[size=4]There on the piered enclosure gates he sprawls,[/size]
[size=4]Mimicking the lions of St. Mark’s,[/size]
[size=4]Crying that I admire him, fetch him milk,[/size]
[size=4]Sure I find him fetching as a kitten.[/size]

[size=4]I hiss again. I’ll not resort to hose[/size]
[size=4](it’s out of reach), but I fiercely clap my hands[/size]
[size=4]In sharp dismissal which he thinks applause[/size]
[size=4]And pays me with two clownish leaps.[/size]

[size=4]Oh, that[/size]
[size=4]Slack string of tail! Cat, help me to forgive[/size]
[size=4]Meows that swear me better than I am![/size]
[/quote]
I love the poems, keep them coming! I particularly love how this one shows her not-so-saintly side.

[quote name='emmaberry101' timestamp='1353211916' post='2512198']
Right now LilMon! The nuns are all lined up at the entrance door and just waiting for me to type out this reply.

:P

Just playing, it's January 13. 56 days!
[/quote]

Hahaahaha whatever... :P

That's a month or more until the February Retreat... :|

[quote name='emmaberry101' timestamp='1352358573' post='2506449']Yes, St Veronica Guiliani will be high up on the priorities list for the trip! The Roswell nuns love her-well, Sister Scristan and Sister Portress seemed to really enjoy telling me about her, that is. Yes, of course I will get the books for you, if they are available there (and assuming our gang makes it to Italy in one piece!) St Catherine's incorrupt body is also very high on the list. My parents and I love to see the incorruptibles when we travel... Not to be negative towards Protestants (we were for most of our lives!), but the incorrupt Saints always give us pause..as in "Why didn't anyone tell us there were INCORRUPT CATHOLIC SAINTS when we were Protestants?" I guess these comments go in the same bag with our routine comments concerning the Blessed Virgin's Miracle of the Sun, Eucharistic Miracles, the Miraculous gifts given to various Saints (this would include the Stigmata), and the like. It is just mind boggling to us, the amount of information readily available out there that just was not getting into our hands, whether it was because our pastors told us not to believe any of that 'Catholic folklore' or whether it was because we were just prejudiced ourselves. It really brings us full circle to behold these Catholic Miracles as a family... On that thought, I have really enjoyed, as a Catholic convert, realizing that the Church is not anxious in any way to approve more of these miracles... That, if anything, they are overly cautious! It lends more of a sense of authenticity to these beloved parts of our Catholic faith. As a Protestant, it always seemed that the Church was just desperate to churn out more of these miraculous occurrences. As Scott Hahn would say, "Rome sweet home!"

Also, thank you so much on the contact info for Bret in Assisi! I will pass that right along to my dad. He is so cute planning this trip, even though I know about it I think he is trying to maintain an additional element of 'surprise.' He stops talking about it when I walk in the room. And on the note of my parents' razzle dazzleness (typed that one out myself!), see below.

No worries on the booklet, I can't imagine how busy you are with being out of town. I love road trips and general travelling, but the stress is not something I am fond of!

What a genius way of seeing where your favorite Saints lived! I can't believe I had not done that. I feel incredibly dumb at the moment![/quote]

Praised be Jesus Christ! Hi Emma!! Hehe, don't feel dumb, I only recently starting do this a bit myself. It is fun :hehe: No but seriously, it's pretty awe.some :smile3:

So I am still out of town, but yes, I have the little booklet I'm sending you and a couple Poor Clare articles altogether in my room at home :proud: Soon I'll be home and send 'em out :mail:

That is so wonderful how your dad is planning this! and so sweet how he's kind of wanting it to be a surprise too! Super cool if you go see St. Veronica ([i][b]&[/b][/i] St. Catherine of Bologna too!) No pressure on the book though .. whichever, thanks for offering to get it for me if it's there though! .. also super neat that your Sisters love her!! :heart: Perhaps they don't have that book either, since it seems to be only available there, or at least is not online.

Ttyl for now! Happy trip planning & preparations for entrance! :nun3:

p.s. in Bologna I'm sure you'll also want to at least stop by and see St. Dominic too of course :P (I believe he's very close to St. Catherine's monastery there) I'm pretty sure Franciscans refer to him as Holy Father St. Dominic also actually.. I think I saw this in a Franciscan Proper of Saints once ... also the incorrupt body (covered in wax I'm pretty sure, but still!) of Blessed Imelda Lambertini is there!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99CdcyxX3rA[/media]

[quote name='Christina Thérèse' timestamp='1353216313' post='2512235']
I love the poems, keep them coming! I particularly love how this one shows her not-so-saintly side.
[/quote]

I am so glad Christina Thérèse. Sorry, my Mac is pretty much broken (how will my family survive when I am gone?) so I am on the family computer, so I cannot promise daily poems. You and all of VS is probably glad to hear that though! :P

This poem is from Variations on a Theme, by Mother Francis, PCC. I do love it, but my very favorite is her collection of poems called, "Where Caius Is" (from the Roman proverb [i]Where Caius is, there Caia is.[/i]) Those poems are from her early religious life, and they are heartbreaking in the best and worst way. Very good-and your tears will admit it!

[indent=1][size=6]WASHDAY[/size][/indent]

[i]Army set in array,[/i]
[i]The white guimpes hang there,[/i]
[i]Rack upon rack,[/i]
[i]And quieting steam of breath[/i]
[i]Before a new fresh forage into God's[/i]
[i]Mysteries.[/i]

[indent=3][i]Disciple to their lore,[/i][/indent]
[i]I ponder guimps: the pure Communion cloth[/i]
[i]At dawn, the white drapes on the lifting breasts[/i]
[i]Kept secret for the King.[/i]

[indent=5][i]I study tents[/i][/indent]
[i]That shelter fragile dreams with peach perfume[/i]
[i]Essenced from morning's sculleried Song of Songs,[/i]
[i]And know the battlesmoke of daily war[/i]
[i]With Powers and with Principalities.[/i]

[i]Flags of identity,[/i]
[i]The white guimpes wave there,[/i]
[i]Rack upon rack.[/i]
[i]I pledge allegiance to[/i]
[i]A Lover.[/i]

[indent=1][i]Let the totalled world come hear it:[/i][/indent]
[i]My Lover is mine, and I am His hard-won[/i]
[i]Victory over the dark and all confusion.[/i]
[i]And guimpes to tell it![/i]

[indent=5][i]Then the racks[/i][/indent]
[i]Heave up their innocent burden till I see[/i]
[i]My sisters faithfully raising, faithfully setting[/i]
[i]The guimpes with given heartbeats.[/i]

[indent=5][i]Quick, I turn[/i][/indent]
[i]Away, for secreting the sudden tears.[/i]

[quote name='Chiquitunga' timestamp='1353270460' post='2512418']
p.s. in Bologna I'm sure you'll also want to at least stop by and see St. Dominic too of course (I believe he's very close to St. Catherine's monastery there) I'm pretty sure Franciscans refer to him as Holy Father St. Dominic also actually.. I think I saw this in a Franciscan Proper of Saints once ... also the incorrupt body (covered in wax I'm pretty sure, but still!) of Blessed Imelda Lambertini is there!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99CdcyxX3rA[/media]
[/quote]

BLESSED IMELDA SAY WHAT!? I. love. her.

Thanks so much Chiquitunga, and continued safe travels for you! Also, I love the idea of picking up an extra book for my Sisters. :like: Thank you!

Edited by emmaberry101

[quote name='Kathgirl' timestamp='1353169636' post='2511828']
Is it nice to be the first in choir because being alone with Our Lord is special? I would guess that praying alone in choir is more amesome than praying alone in your (our) cell.
[/quote]
I could not find the passage in A Right to Be Merry, but I know for PCCs (specifically Roswell), the Blessed Sacrament is exposed every time they pray in choir, so being alone with Our Lord (as you guessed!) is very special. I think it may have more to do with letting God know, "I am eager and ready to begin this day of prayer." Mother Francis wrote about a Sister (not sure if she was a Poor Clare) who would literally leap out of bed at the first ring of the rising bell. It was her way of telling Jesus, "I am eager to begin your work!" I really admire that nun-I am quite the opposite upon rising. :P

[quote name='To Jesus Through Mary' timestamp='1353168731' post='2511824']
BTW I was wrong on my friend- she entered the Poor Clare's in Alexandria, VA. :)

What is your entrance date again?
[/quote]
January 13. Sorry it is not in the OP! And the Alexandria PCCs are great. How beautiful! Your friend is so blessed!

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1353149390' post='2511759']

[/quote]
[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1353156963' post='2511768']

Yes! Or some sort of a guide. "The Abandoned Family's Guide to Technology."
[/quote]
:lol4: Yes! That's hilarious. It could be a reality show on EWTN. The commercials would be really dramatic:

[indent=5]*Dad drops phone in dishwater, calls for electronic-friendly daughter to help*[/indent]

[indent=5]*Mom yells across the house, "She's in the convent, remember?"[/indent]

[indent=5]*Dad slowly turns to look at picture on wall of daughter in the habit, looks at his waterlogged phone, and crumpels to the floor in grief*[/indent]

Okay, maybe someone else should write. This comedy is turning into a drama. :|

Thank you for the explanation! ;) Here's another one...does the monastery/convent supply one's bedding...such as pillow and blanket? Emma, I know that your community sleeps on "straw" beds. Would one be allowed to bring a object (for their cell) such as a personal pillow or blanket? (you know is going to keep you warm) From a personal aspect...I KNOW that if I am assigned a rock hard pillow ( for example) I will NOT get adaquate rest! In NM I doubt that needing a warm blanket is much of a concern! ;-)