An Old School Catholic Message Board

Fake Miraculous Medal

Julie de Sales

• 3 weeks later...

I am NOT posting this to start another thread/debate on the canonical status of these Sisters, but I get my Miraculous Medals here. They're of great quality and authentic: [url="http://www.sistersofcarmel.com/miraculous-medals.php"]http://www.sistersofcarmel.com/miraculous-medals.php[/url]

Ok the only thing I can say (sorry it is completely off topic) is that I received a job offer in paris, near the Tour Eiffel, and I would have found a bedroom in a catholic residence at about 3 mins on foot from the Chapel of Rue du Bac. For reasons I can't explain now I refused that job, and, well, reading this thread makes me regret again this painful choice as it has been the dream of my life for a long long time... !!

[quote name='reminiscere' timestamp='1350070567' post='2492857']
I am NOT posting this to start another thread/debate on the canonical status of these Sisters, but I get my Miraculous Medals here. They're of great quality and authentic: [url="http://www.sistersofcarmel.com/miraculous-medals.php"]http://www.sistersof...lous-medals.php[/url]
[/quote]
Those are nice medals, rem. Thanks for posting. I especially like the tiny ones. Good ones are hard to come by. Thanks again!

• 1 year later...

Guess what, artisans have to strike the medals, and if you don't have the original die you have to MAKE YOUR OWN. Obviously differences arise.

Exactly.  This seems to be more an issue of a poor copy with unintentional mistakes rather than something deliberate...especally if an older medal was copied.  I carry an inch long miraculous medal that is well over 100 years old and the M looks like neither of the examples.

Our Lady appeared with a white dress, a blue mantle, and a white veil which draped back over her shoulders. She was still standing on the globe, and had one foot on the head of a serpent which lay at her feet. The 1830 was marked on the globe. The Virgin had her arms and hands pointed downwards, and a cascade of rays was falling down from both hands onto the globe. An oval frame formed around the Blessed Virgin, and written around within it, in letters of gold, was the beautiful prayer, "O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to you." This was the front side of the medal that was to be made.

Then the vision revolved to show the reverse side of the medal. Catherine saw a Cross with a bar at its feet with which was intertwined an "M." Beneath the "M" were the Hearts of Jesus and Mary, both surmounted by flames of love, one having a crown of thorns, and other pierced with a sword. Encircling all of this were twelve stars around the oval frame.

This is what Saint Catherine saw.  She then heard a voice that said "Have a medal struck after this model. All who wear it will receive great graces. They should wear it around the neck. Graces will abound for persons who wear it with confidence."

Now wherein this description is there such minute detail as how many points the stars are to have?

Guess what, artisans have to strike the medals, and if you don't have the original die you have to MAKE YOUR OWN. Obviously differences arise.

The original and recent Miraculous medals do not even resemble what Our Lady wanted in the first place because they did not have the technology to put OL holding up the globe.  Talk about needing artisans!

Uhhhhh... Do I have one of the originals? She's standing on a globe and crushing the serpent on my medal. This is a vintage one I bought on Etsy.

MM_zpsa3c0a8de.jpeg

Edited by curiousing

It says "1830" on the globe and there are rays coming down from her hands.

I had no idea what I was buying...  :shock: 

oh, what I meant is that originally Our Lady was supposed to be holding up the globe but it wasn't possible with the engraving technology of their time. And yes, your medal is very beautiful! :D

Uhhhhh... Do I have one of the originals? She's standing on a globe and crushing the serpent on my medal. This is a vintage one I bought on Etsy.

MM_zpsa3c0a8de.jpeg

Can you send a photo of the back?

Mary+Immaculate<3

Not trying to start any controversy, but my mother got an email from a good friend warning us of "static rosaries" a few days after I saw thread. I have read both sides of the issue online (which isn't always the greatest resource), and it also seems phony to me. Some people testify to have been caused harm from them while others claim that they are related to Medjugorje and people who were taking the physical rosary too seriously. Thoughts? My mother wants to ask our priest but I think it could be resolved easily by a diplomatic investigation and discussion rather than taking either side for their word.