An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Community For Widows/single Older Vocations

Kathleen777

[color=#333333][font='lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif][size=3]I have a question for Catholic widows or single older women following this page, Are you happy where you are at in your religious state of life? Do you wish to belong to a religious community of same women with a Franciscan charism? If this community had different tiers, such as; Sisters living together (wearing habits), Sisters living in their own homes but in the same parish (praying, working and recreating together), Sisters living in their own homes and in another diocese (but seeing community 2 times or more a year), Sister in her own home/assisted living/nursing home (who offers her sufferings for charism of community)--- would you be interested in joining something new?[/size][/font][/color]

[list]
[*]Well, it sounds interesting. Not sure what i at the moment would want exactly. I guess something more on the order of a traditional religious community where the sisters live in common. Course, would have to get through with my Chapter 13 bakruptcy first before i got invovled in any religious community, new or otherwise. But your idea sounds good.Maybe the Church is starting to look at older vocations more.In the old days, there were plenty of widows and widowers who entered religious life, but it seems like here in the United States, it wasn't the tradition it had been like in Europe.
[/list]

Edited by HollyDolly

Totally Franciscan

I would be interested in hearing more details as well. Is this a community that is already formed or an idea that you, Kathleen777, are interested in pursuing?

It reminds me of a Third Order (lay people) that is not a Third Order but intrinsic to the originating religious order which has different 'tiers' incorporated.
I have many questions, but at this point dont know how much Kathleen77 has thought it through - or alternatively how much she knows about a current order she is interested in entering, i.e. an already formed community.
I think one of the marks of a religious order per se is that they share a life in common in community under the same roof. "Under the same roof" is interesting in that it is the traditional and currently accepted definition of a religious community, but is it strictly necessary according to Church Law that members life actually under the same roof, i.e. what living conditions (if any) actually determines a religious community of sisters?
Certainly in Australia today many of our active order religious sisters are living alone and meet with their sisters periodically. Some live in pairs if their ministry and numbers makes it feasible.

Bev Bowers Rogers

In my humble opinion...there isnt enough (if any...tra)dional religious communities of sisters living in comon available for mature single/widows of faith period!

Thanks for all of your replies! This proposed Franciscan community "Project" is in it first stage and I am talking to interested women. Many aspects of the life have come from my previous religious life experience and years of religious life research. I have been waiting for a new Bishop to be ordained in Steubenville, Ohio and we now have Bishop Jeffrey Monforton as of Sept. 10th. I hope to have my first meeting with him soon to introduce myself and to discuss the new community idea and apostolates. If I receive permission I will become more public with information. In the meantime any Franciscan widow or women 45 yrs. old and older may contact me personally. Email: consecrated.widow@yahoo.com May God Bless You!

[quote name='Kathleen777' timestamp='1349639078' post='2490976']
In the meantime any Franciscan widow or women 45 yrs. old and older may contact me personally. Email: consecrated.widow@yahoo.com May God Bless You!
[/quote]

Why is the age set so high? There are a few of us on here (including me) that are under 45 but over 40, and many many communities already exclude you at 40.

Just curious, thanks.

My reasoning for age 45 and over is because it is usually passed child bearing age and therefore a woman has less doubt that marriage and children are her vocation. Exceptions to the age limit would be considered of course depending on the individuals personal history and intentions. Thanks for asking this interesting question!

[font=georgia,serif][size=3]Me, me, me! I am 55 and have been looking for an order that will take me for two years! I am single, never married, no mental issues, healthy - I think I would like an order that follows the 'old-fashioned' life - full habit, postulancy, formation, vows, etc., and full cooperation with the Pope. I wouldn't even mind being cloistered. And, I say 'I think' however, I know that's what I would like! I don't know if that's where God wants me, and I want to be where He wants me. [/size][/font]

[font=georgia,serif][size=3]I look forward to hearing more about your order![/size][/font]