An Old School Catholic Message Board

Was My Lie A Mortal Sin?

ToJesusMyHeart

ToJesusMyHeart

I lied to my teacher today.

I'm a junior in college. I was on my way to class, but I had to stop at the library to do some last minute work on an assignment due today. Well, the computer didn't work the way I needed it to, and thus I spent more time finishing the assignment than I anticipated. By the time I finished what I needed to finish, class had already started, and we can't be late. We also had a quiz today, and usually if you miss class, you cannot make up the quiz.

In order to not get penalized for missing the quiz, I lied to my teacher by emailing her and saying that I was sick today and unable to come to class. Usually, we are required to get "university documentation" for sickness, but my university only gives out documentation for SERIOUS illnesses, like appendicitis and heart attacks. They don't care if you have the flu or a cold or a migraine, etc--only "dire" illnesses. Anyway, that's sort of besides the point.

So I lied about being sick, in order that my grade wouldn't suffer. I was planning on going to class, was on my way to class--just had to make that "quick" pitstop in the library printing center, which turned out to take much longer than I thought--and thus couldn't make it to class. I know all of of this could have been avoided if I had been prepared for class ahead of time.

I just can't figure out if I've sinned mortally by lying in this way, or if it was only venial. I want to go to daily mass, but I'm not sure if I need to go to Confession first. Thank you for taking the time to help.

p.s. If I should ask this in the Ask a Scholar forum, I'll do so. Thanks!

By definition -If you are not sure it's a mortal sin, it is not a mortal sin. Probably it should be at or near the top of your list when you next go to Confession. A good reparation would be to help another person get ready for a test.

Nihil Obstat

Well I am no moral theologian, nor am I a priest, but it does not sound like grave matter to me. No grave matter = no mortal sin.
That is only my opinion. (The first sentence. The second is not my own opinion, but the teaching of the Church.)

Catechism:

[b][url="http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s2c2a8.htm"]2484[/url][/b] The [i]gravity of a lie[/i] is measured against the nature of the truth it deforms, the circumstances, the intentions of the one who lies, and the harm suffered by its victims. If a lie in itself only constitutes a venial sin, it becomes mortal when it does grave injury to the virtues of justice and charity.

It does not seem to me that your lie did grave injury to the virtues of justice or charity. I would conclude that it is certainly sinful, but venial only.

Edited by Nihil Obstat

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1349732952' post='2491379']
still should confess it though
[/quote]
Indeed. Anything weighting on one's conscience should be confessed. :)

[quote name='ToJesusMyHeart' timestamp='1349729989' post='2491358']

I want to go to daily mass, but I'm not sure if I need to go to Confession first. Thank you for taking the time to help.
[/quote]

What everyone said is great ... but I want to add that lets say you *couldn't* go to confession and were going to daily Mass, and you were 100% convinced that you had sinned mortally, you can always go to Mass anyway and receive communion spiritually (a lot of people in the Spanish Mass I attend do not go up for communion for varying reasons, and I know of a number of people who cannot receive due to their marital status but are very faithful about attending Mass anyway)

In fact I'm sure that it will do your soul good to do so since it will give you the additional grace needed to get yourself to Confession as soon as you feasibly can.

Now to reiterate what others said -- I too don't think that you gravely sinned because of the substance (needs to be grave matter)

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1349730814' post='2491366']
Well I am no moral theologian, nor am I a priest, but it does not sound like grave matter to me. No grave matter = no mortal sin.
That is only my opinion. (The first sentence. The second is not my own opinion, but the teaching of the Church.)

Catechism:

[b][url="http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s2c2a8.htm"]2484[/url][/b] The [i]gravity of a lie[/i] is measured against the nature of the truth it deforms, the circumstances, the intentions of the one who lies, and the harm suffered by its victims. If a lie in itself only constitutes a venial sin, it becomes mortal when it does grave injury to the virtues of justice and charity.

It does not seem to me that your lie did grave injury to the virtues of justice or charity. I would conclude that it is certainly sinful, but venial only.
[/quote]

It impeeds justice, all the other students did the quiz because they where at class on time. Admit your fault and move on, even if this means not being able to do the quiz.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

[quote name='cmariadiaz' timestamp='1349733456' post='2491386']

What everyone said is great ... but I want to add that lets say you *couldn't* go to confession and were going to daily Mass, and you were 100% convinced that you had sinned mortally, you can always go to Mass anyway and receive communion spiritually (a lot of people in the Spanish Mass I attend do not go up for communion for varying reasons, and I know of a number of people who cannot receive due to their marital status but are very faithful about attending Mass anyway)

In fact I'm sure that it will do your soul good to do so since it will give you the additional grace needed to get yourself to Confession as soon as you feasibly can.

Now to reiterate what others said -- I too don't think that you gravely sinned because of the substance (needs to be grave matter)
[/quote]

Your correct, one can continue to goto holy mass when one is in a state of sin, it is good to do so.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye' timestamp='1349738639' post='2491398']
It impeeds justice, all the other students did the quiz because they where at class on time. Admit your fault and move on, even if this means not being able to do the quiz.
[/quote]
Keywords are "grave injury".

PhuturePriest

I think you're fine. You should confess it, but remember what Father Vincent Serpa, OP, told me when I was scrupulous: "If you are unsure if something was a Mortal sin, it's not. Mortal sin requires absolute certainty." I think it may have been if you just decided to skip class altogether and go to a movie or something, but I don't think your case qualifies Mortal sin status.

It's a stupid requirement. Grades should not be dependent on attending the classes your employees are giving. Someone should punch the entire faculty in the kidney.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

a lie is a lie. I respect the catechism but as far as i'm aware all in all the catechism is not an infallible doctrine on faith and morals, it is a guide. I may be wrong. I heard satans nick name is the great deciever. You have chosen to decieve your teacher and your class mates and yourself . I really would take it to confession at the least now that your aware of the gravety of this matter, but yes keep going to holy mass just don't recieve the precious body and blood untill after you have confessed. Make a spiritual communion. If you can't find a spiritual communion that suits, or can't make one up yourself here is one i made up that is easy to remember for such occasions, it is short...

Come LORD JESUS, please come into my heart since i can not recieve you at present in the assured way of your most precious body and blood,in that the holy spirit may descend upon me and renew my mind. Amen.

P.s. It may be better with any spiritual communion you may choose to learn by heart to add an our father after it, and if your really keen a hail mary and a glory be too.

Edited by Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye' timestamp='1349742584' post='2491422']
a lie is a lie. I respect the catechism but as far as i'm aware all in all the catechism is not an infallible doctrine on faith and morals, it is a guide. I may be wrong. I heard satans nick name is the great deciever. You have chosen to decieve your teacher and your class mates and yourself . I really would take it to confession at the least now that your aware of the gravety of this matter, but yes keep going to holy mass just don't recieve the precious body and blood untill after you have confessed. Make a spiritual communion. If you can't find a spiritual communion that suits, or can't make one up yourself here is one i made up that is easy to remember for such occasions, it is short...

Come LORD JESUS, please come into my heart since i can not recieve you at present in the assured way of your most precious body and blood,in that the holy spirit may descend upon me and renew my mind. Amen.

P.s. It may be better with any spiritual communion you may choose to learn by heart to add an our father after it, and if your really keen a hail mary and a glory be too.
[/quote]
This is irresponsible advice because it could lead others weak in the faith to scrupulosity. You are intentionally ignoring the distinction between grave and not grave matter. Please demonstrate how this lie [i]gravely[/i] damaged the virtues of justice or charity.

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1349742173' post='2491418']
It's a stupid requirement. Grades should not be dependent on attending the classes your employees are giving. Someone should punch the entire faculty in the kidney.
[/quote]
Yeah, that attitude'll fly with those teaching...

Edited by qfnol31

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

How is this advice irresponsible, your telling her lying is ok, as long as it isn't a grave matter. Thats so hollywood. I explained the reason it is a grave matter already, scroll up.

Edited by Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye