An Old School Catholic Message Board

Poll: Discernment Rings

ToJesusMyHeart

Discernment Rings  

77 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

ToJesusMyHeart

I just ordered one and am curious who else has a ring they wear as a symbol of their discernment.

The reason I wanted to buy one was because I was getting tired of having guys being flirty, and then having to let them down by saying I'm discerning religious life. Often times it upsets them and it gets awkward. (Note: This isn't like a constant bother, but it's happened one too many times.)

I dress modestly (if we want to talk about what exactly constitutes 'modesty,' we can), and really try hard to not lead anybody on. I figure if they see my ring, they won't even bother to flirt. It's not only for that, but also to remind myself to remain pure of heart whenever I see it on my finger.

I realize that I will have to give it up if/when I enter religious life, so I made sure not to spend much on it.

Who else wears one? :)

Edited by ToJesusMyHeart

FutureCarmeliteClaire

I used to, it had a double meaning. It was engraved, "I WILL WAIT." Waiting for whatever vocation God has for me. But when my left arm when swollen and scary, the ER had to remove it with windex and a string. I can't wear any rings on that hand until this issue is resolved. I am thinking about getting a clauddaugh (sp?) to replace it since it was too small anyways.

DiscerningCatholic

I have one that has a cross made out of sapphire. It also has the words, "With God, all things are possible," written on the inside of the band. I originally used it as my purity ring, but now that I'm discerning, it serves a double purpose.

[img]https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/401244_138270289623435_821415658_n.jpg[/img]

[img]https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/395377_138274466289684_2045642008_n.jpg[/img]

ToJesusMyHeart

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1350351473' post='2493833']
I used to, it had a double meaning. It was engraved, "I WILL WAIT." Waiting for whatever vocation God has for me. But when my left arm when swollen and scary, the ER had to remove it with windex and a string.
[/quote]

My roommate had a ring stuck on her finger last night and we tried EVERYTHING to get it off, including the windex and dental floss idea! No success! She went to the jeweler today and had to have it cut off. :(

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1350351473' post='2493833']
I can't wear any rings on that hand until this issue is resolved. I am thinking about getting a clauddaugh (sp?) to replace it since it was too small anyways.
[/quote]

What is a 'clauddaugh'?
Anyway, the ring I ordered is engraved with "I am my Beloved's and He is mine." I'm super excited for it to arrive! :nun3:

I think it's a great gesture (and a great reminder to the discerner!), and if I wore one I would wear it on my ring or engagement ring finger! I honestly never thought of it before. Where I'm from, purity rings are pretty popular, as it is a more Protestant area, so there's the basic principle of the 'ring' idea, which is great!

[quote name='ToJesusMyHeart' timestamp='1350351945' post='2493838']
Anyway, the ring I ordered is engraved with "I am my Beloved's and He is mine." I'm super excited for it to arrive! :nun3:
[/quote]

My friend had this same kind of ring before she entered. I've always wanted one like it but never liked the designs I found (plus, most of them were too expensive). I usually don't wear jewelry very often at all. I have a ring that my friend gave me that I had resized which she got from the Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. It has an "M" with a cross through it and a chain signifying service to Mary and Jesus. The band is kind of tight still so it sits in my jewelry box. :(

ToJesusMyHeart

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1350353464' post='2493849']

My friend had this same kind of ring before she entered. I've always wanted one like it but never liked the designs I found (plus, most of them were too expensive). I usually don't wear jewelry very often at all. I have a ring that my friend gave me that I had resized which she got from the Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. It has an "M" with a cross through it and a chain signifying service to Mary and Jesus. The band is kind of tight still so it sits in my jewelry box. :(
[/quote]

Is it possible to resize it?

[i]A "Claddagh" ring is a reincarnation of an ancient Irish wedding band, but now is used for just about everything from marriage to simple jewelry. It has a heart (love) held by two hands (fidelity) and surmounted by a crown (dignity).[/i]
[i]By the way, thanks for asking. A Dominican cousin was pastor in Claddagh, County Galway, for years. He loved it there.[/i]

ToJesusMyHeart

[quote name='littlesister' timestamp='1350358324' post='2493868']
[i]A "Claddagh" ring is a reincarnation of an ancient Irish wedding band, but now is used for just about everything from marriage to simple jewelry. It has a heart (love) held by two hands (fidelity) and surmounted by a crown (dignity).[/i]
[i]By the way, thanks for asking. A Dominican cousin was pastor in Claddagh, County Galway, for years. He loved it there.[/i]
[/quote]

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/29/Claddaghring.jpg/220px-Claddaghring.jpg[/img]

[size=4]beautiful![/size]

ToJesusMyHeart

1/3 of the ring is Cubic Zirconium, shown in the first photo:

[img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51EySZdyvxL.jpg[/img]

And the other 2/3 are the engraved part: "I am my Beloved's and He is mine." :

[img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51aVyF3BNeL.jpg[/img]

i<3franciscans

[quote name='ToJesusMyHeart' timestamp='1350358660' post='2493871']
[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/29/Claddaghring.jpg/220px-Claddaghring.jpg[/img]

[size=4]beautiful![/size]
[/quote]
I wear this on my right ring finger. All of my friends know that it is a discernment ring. Everybody else just thinks that I am irish. :)

DiscerningCatholic

[quote name='ToJesusMyHeart' timestamp='1350351945' post='2493838']
[/quote]
Where did you get yours??? It sounds so pretty!

I love yours DC! I adore sapphires.

I've always wanted a ring, but I've never found one that I like/is affordable for me.