An Old School Catholic Message Board

Poll: Discernment Rings

ToJesusMyHeart

Discernment Rings  

77 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Surely there are simpler and more appropriate ways of doing so. A ring still just doesn't seem appropriate. 

if they want to wear a rosary ring or such to remind them to pray often etc, i think that is good. but i dont think it should be worn on the wedding finger. i think that finger should only be reserved for engagement rings, wedding/religious profession rings. not 'purity' or 'promise' rings. what are those rings even promising? purity rings, well, fornication is a mortal sin, and if you need to wear a ring to stop you from doing that i'd think you should actually work on your spiritual life instead of dating guys. and promise rings? what are youpromising?

I really think it should be left up to the individual discerner and their spiritual director or confessor.  While some may thing it sounds nuts or ridiculous, it may have deep meaning for someone else.  I don't wear a ring (I thought about wearing one and even bought one but it is too large) but my friend did and it had the Song of Songs verse about "I am my beloveds."  She is now a 2nd year novice preparing to make 1st vows in 5 months.  :)

This is my purity ring: http://www.purityrings.com/Images/ProductImages/new%20white%20coven.JPG

It was only $34 and my parents gave it to me on my 15th birthday (not going to tell how long ago that was :p) so we don't need to worry about the cost here. It is a well made and very comfortable ring. I absolutely love it and would not trade it for anything.

At first I wore it as a purity ring, but as time pass, it became more to me. The three hearts symbolize my heart, God's Heart, and my future husband's heart all entangled with the sign of God's hope and love (the Cross) in the center. I think it is a lovely little reminder of what type of love I am wanting and waiting for marriage wise. It also doubles nicely as a discernment ring. :)

The reason I still have it is not because my spiritual life is lacking, but because sometimes it is just nice to have a physical reminder always with me during the tough times.

To each his own.

if they want to wear a rosary ring or such to remind them to pray often etc, i think that is good. but i dont think it should be worn on the wedding finger. i think that finger should only be reserved for engagement rings, wedding/religious profession rings. not 'purity' or 'promise' rings. what are those rings even promising? purity rings, well, fornication is a mortal sin, and if you need to wear a ring to stop you from doing that i'd think you should actually work on your spiritual life instead of dating guys. and promise rings? what are youpromising?

My issue isn't with a rosary ring or other jewellery. as a reminder or helper for one's spiritual life.

My issue is with the concept of a "discernment ring" because, to use your words, what is it promising? It just doesn't make sense to me. But I'd be interested in what those who do wear such rings have to say. Maybe there's something I'm missing.

Edited by EmilyAnn

My issue isn't with a rosary ring or other jewellery. as a reminder or helper for one's spiritual life.

My issue is with the concept of a "discernment ring" because, to use your words, what is it promising? It just doesn't make sense to me. But I'd be interested in what those who do wear such rings have to say. Maybe there's something I'm missing.

do you think private vows rings are OK

In a way any purity ring that you wear is a "discernment ring" because you are saving yourself while "discerning" what your vocation is, or who your future husband or wife may be.

Plus if you don't take a close look at it, almost any purity ring looks like it may be a wedding or engagement ring. If a guy is not sure what type of ring it may be, wouldn't he not be so forward with you if he thought you might already be taken?

do you think private vows rings are OK

I wear a plan wide silver band, commitment ring, on my wedding finger.  In my younger days it helped as if I was asked if I was married, I simply replied "I am committed" and I personally never ever had to add more than that. My ring looks nothing like a wedding band or ring worn by nuns as it is much wider and quite flat in appearance.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/sterling-silver-thick-band-ring (scroll down to fifth ring)

Edited by BarbaraTherese

In a way any purity ring that you wear is a "discernment ring" because you are saving yourself while "discerning" what your vocation is, or who your future husband or wife may be.

Plus if you don't take a close look at it, almost any purity ring looks like it may be a wedding or engagement ring. If a guy is not sure what type of ring it may be, wouldn't he not be so forward with you if he thought you might already be taken?

This reasoning sounds a bit odd to me.  :unsure:  What do you mean by a guy being 'forward'? Grabbing you and attempting to ravish you on the spot? A decent guy wouldn't do that whether he thought you were engaged or not, and the type of guy who would isn't exactly going to be deterred by the presence of a ring.

A ring on your engagement or wedding finger might be more likely to stop a guy from asking you out on a date (assuming he's clued into ring symbolism, and you look old enough to be married) but is that something that you need to stop with jewellery? You could just politely decline. Women who aren't discerning the religious life often decline dates they don't want.

I get that rings and other jewellery can have special spiritual significance for the wearer (I am very attached to my confirmation crucifix and my medal of Our Lady) but I think it's a bit much to treat rings as though they have boy-repelling powers.

@Beatitude.  You'd be surprized what a ring on the ring finger can do.  I wore one for about 15 years, and I can count in one hand the number of times I've been approached by guys.

Now I no longer wear one, but I am also quite known in the area, so unless a new guy comes in they probably won't approach.  Now if I move ... that'll be interesting.  :)

@Beatitude.  You'd be surprized what a ring on the ring finger can do.  I wore one for about 15 years, and I can count in one hand the number of times I've been approached by guys.

Exactly! I mean if a guy thinks that you are taken yet still thinks you are interesting enough to become friends with, you can see if he is the type of guy you would like to date before any romantic feelings are thrown into the mix.

• 1 year later...
MarysLittleFlower

I got a ring a short while ago :) I wear it on my ring finger on the right hand. Its sterling silver but was really on sale, like 70% off. It has a shape like wedding rings. I got it engraved with "ego Dilecto meo". For me its not so much a discernment ring as a "reminder" that I belong to Jesus and plan not to marry. Not that I forget but I've found it encouraging to wear. I have to go out in to the world a lot with my work so it helps to have something visual. I got it blessed too. :)

HopefulHeart

I got a cheap ring a couple of years ago from a Christian media store. On the ring is engraved: "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jer 29:11 (It's not a Catholic translation, but it suffices.) I used to wear it on the ring finger of my right hand, but it started irritating my skin, so lately I've been wearing it on my left thumb. At this point, I don't connect the ring with discerning a particular vocation. Instead, I think of it as a simple reminder to keep God first and not to lose sight of my ultimate goal of doing His will and reaching heaven.

Edited by HopefulHeart

PhuturePriest

I want it noted that every man who voted in this poll voted "no" with no desire or intentions to get one.

We really need a manly influence in Vocation Station.

NadaTeTurbe

I voted no, and I don't want to. 

First, in French, "un anneau" (a ring), is ONLY for wedding (or the Lord of the Ring...). What you call a "discernment/purity rings", are "une bague" here (a band in english). But I confused the two when I was reading. 

Secondly, it's not in the tradition of France to have purity rings. I find them ridiculous, honestly, like the WWJD bracelet. It's all about "look at me, I am so catholic and pure". I know it's not the goal, but it looks like this. Also, here, people don't care if you are married or not. Plus, I am an adult, and I am able to say "not interested". And last, I don't like jewellery. I only have close boy friend (like, good friend who are boy. not boyfriend !), and I may be a little influenced by them... I only wear a family jewellery.