An Old School Catholic Message Board

Poll: Discernment Rings

ToJesusMyHeart

Discernment Rings  

77 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Funny, TT and I were just talking about this.

My ring began as a purity ring but now reminds me of so much more. It's sterling silver and says True Love Waits. I've been asked if I was married a few times because of it. It's interesting how God works because several of my friends have asked about it or have gotten one. :hehe2:

I was planning to get a ring that said "I am my beloveds and my Beloved is mine" but I found this ring and I love it even more:

[img]http://g.christianbook.com/g/ebooks/covers/w185/1/109185_w185.png[/img]

It says in Italian and English: "My Heart is Yours Forever." Very appropriate! I wish it was sterling silver but it is stainless steel. I'm planning to order it soon. :)

BTW, my priest and his priest brother wear a gold ring on their wedding finger. I'm pretty sure it says "Jesus" and both of them got it when they were ordained. I love it because it shows they are already committed and married to the Church. :)

• 1 year later...
OnlySunshine

I had forgotten about this thread!  I ordered a ring that had the Song of Songs verse on it but the band is much too thick.  I had to stop wearing it because it was bothering my finger.  I really want a nice one that is real silver instead of stainless steel like my discontinued ring.  I'm going to have to find one and splurge.

Golden Years

I have one but I can't figure out how to upload it.  The Hermit's ring, like the Hermit, must stay hidden.  :nono:

ChristinaTherese

I found a nice bead rosary ring less than a month ago that I was thinking of as a sorta discernment ring as well as the obvious, but I took it off to cook a couple of days ago and now I don't know where it is.

Edited by Christina Thérèse

The reason I wanted to buy one was because I was getting tired of having guys being flirty, and then having to let them down by saying I'm discerning religious life. Often times it upsets them and it gets awkward. (Note: This isn't like a constant bother, but it's happened one too many times.)

I dress modestly (if we want to talk about what exactly constitutes 'modesty,' we can), and really try hard to not lead anybody on. I figure if they see my ring, they won't even bother to flirt. It's not only for that, but also to remind myself to remain pure of heart whenever I see it on my finger.

This is not a problem that I struggle with...  :hehe2:

Once, I thought I might try wearing a "chastity ring" but that only invited comments about my supposed engagement, and it was really awkward to try to explain. It went something like this (not quite literally):

"Oh, you're getting married??"

"No. Its a, um...*cough*...purity ring."

"Um. What's that?"

"Some people wear it so, ah, so they...well, so they'll remember to wait."

"Ohhhh. So you're saving yourself for marriage?"

"Actually I have zero interest in marriage."

"So you're waiting for nobody."

"Right."

:)
My ring is extra special to me because when I first got it, it was blessed by the vocations director and a year or so later was touched to the tomb of Solanus Casey!
JMJ+ :heart:

Wow!

I wore mine from 1997 to 2012. It's a long story as to why it is now off ... suffice to say that I discerned during an 8 day retreat that it had to come off.

PhuturePriest

No, I don't. Why? Three reasons, really:

1) I've never heard of them until now

2) I don't like rings

3) Everyone and their dog would ask me why I'm wearing a ring.

Actually, never mind, I'm buying one. When everyone and their dog asks me why I'm wearing it, I'll give interesting answers, like "It's a magical Elven ring that wards off Satan.", or, "It's an enchanted ring made to keep away nosy people -- I don't think the enchantment was done strongly enough."

I wear a crucifix every day, as well as a Rosary and a bracelet with pictures of Saints on it, and I get asked about them continuously from strangers... :P

Edited by FuturePriest387

brandelynmarie

I have often thought about getting a St. Teresa Cross ring from James Avery...there's one that looks like a crown of thorns...I think they can only be found on eBay now however....

I have often thought about getting a St. Teresa Cross ring from James Avery...there's one that looks like a crown of thorns...I think they can only be found on eBay now however....

Try Samaritan Arts in TX ... they have a beautiful crown of thorns ring (its a wedding band). They do do it in silver.

• 4 weeks later...

i am of the opinion that it is not in keeping with evangelical poverty to buy a nice ring for discernment, besides, you might discern the call to marriage then need to throw it away.

you can get some very cheap stainless steel rings from Amazon for just $5. some are nice with a stone in, some look like wedding bands, some are gold. they are stong and simple. you can get it engraved too.

Well, people who are discerning are not vowed to poverty, are they?

If a person discerns a call to marriage, I think it would be neat for her discernment ring to be used as a wedding band. A visible reminder of the commitment she made to discern faithfully and of the fruit of her discernment - her husband? Of course if it were to be used as a wedding band it would need to be "nicer" -- if it is going to last.

Once upon a time I wore a ring -- it had INRI engraved on the inside. I wore it before I entered. After I left I put it back on and it was a great comfort to me. But at one point I discerned it was no longer the season for wearing it.

Well, people who are discerning are not vowed to poverty, are they?

If a person discerns a call to marriage, I think it would be neat for her discernment ring to be used as a wedding band. A visible reminder of the commitment she made to discern faithfully and of the fruit of her discernment - her husband? Of course if it were to be used as a wedding band it would need to be "nicer" -- if it is going to last.

Once upon a time I wore a ring -- it had INRI engraved on the inside. I wore it before I entered. After I left I put it back on and it was a great comfort to me. But at one point I discerned it was no longer the season for wearing it.

They are not vowed to poverty, but if they are thinking of a religious/priestly vocation, presumably they are embracing the spirit of the evangelical councils?

well, I think when one is discerning, one should strive to live according to their current state in life.

If a man or woman is a Christian lay person, they should dress and behave like dignified holy lay people. They should not dress and behave in ways that are more fitting to those in the consecrated state.

Edited by Lilllabettt