An Old School Catholic Message Board

Franciscan Sisters Of The Immaculate

Rosa immaculata

Rosa immaculata

Ave Maria!

Dear all! I am just back from my retreat (in a Benedictine abbey) which was ... GREAT and marvellous!! About the vows, I confess I don't understand, and I don't know... the fact is the FSI (apostolic) take vows a first time for six or nine years and wear in this occasion a crown of flowers and then after this time they take definitive vows, and at this moment, they receive a ring and a crown of thorns... I saw it on videos and the site of the Italian sisters... It is the same for the contemplative sisters... so, my question is : what are these vows with the Crown of thorns if they are not solemn vows? Besides I saw on aimaria.com run by the Friars a news that reported a "Solemn profession of two sisters in USA" and on the picture, and they had a crown of thorns... :think: :think2:

So, I realise that I don't understand all this stuff about vows, ahah!... perhaps this is a particularity of the FSI or I don't know, Edigio will know it better than me... But it is not grave because I will write soon (this week) to the FSI (apostolic) and I will ask to them :) . I am so GLAD because this mysterious attraction is persisting in my heart; the Mistress of the Novices (she so sweet and tender!) said to me: oh, I think that you have a contemplative vocation at 100/100!! :) . So it is time to write to the Sisters and explain to them my situation and I'll see what they will tell me. Probably I will do a retreat with the apostolic sisters to see firstly if I am called to their order and charism... and only God and the Immaculate know the following of the events; I am in Love with this order and I realised that it is the Love of God and that's why I cannot really explain it...

My whole life is in the hands of God ... Prayers for all! :pray: and thank you for all your precisions about the vows!

Sr Mary Catharine OP

According to canon law solemn vows are determined by the constitutions of the specific congregation. It doesn't have anything to do with being cloistered or not cloistered. This is a big change in the "new" code. So, any congregation can decide to have solemn vows and if the church approves those constitutions than the vows are accepted as solemn.

I hope that helps!

Rosa immaculata

Oh Sr Mary Catherine, great great news which really seems to be the solution for my question!! :) I will post the answer of the FSI but it sounds you are right! Thank you, I should read the canon law about religious life :)

That's awe.some, Sr. MC! Thanks for weighing in :like:

Quick reply regarding the crown of thorns .. the Passionists and CFRs who use the crown of thorns also take Perpetual Simple Vows. 

But yes, definitely ask them directly. But this is great info Sr. MC has provided .. very interesting/good clarification on the New Code. Here's a thread where the difference in vows is discussed a little more (and Sister weighs in also) which has good info too, http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/122855-difference-in-vows/

Edited by Chiquitunga

Rosa immaculata

That's awe.some, Sr. MC! Thanks for weighing in :like:

Quick reply regarding the crown of thorns .. the Passionists and CFRs who use the crown of thorns also take Perpetual Simple Vows. 

But yes, definitely ask them directly. But this is great info Sr. MC has provided .. very interesting/good clarification on the New Code. Here's a thread where the difference in vows is discussed a little more (and Sister weighs in also) which has good info too, http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/122855-difference-in-vows/

Thank you Chiquitunga for the precision about simple Perpetual Vows, I did not know that it exists! I am really ignorant, aha! and yes I will ask to them definitely (pray for me as I begin to write the letter, and I am so anxious about the answer!!)! :)

Rosa immaculata

Rosa- is THIS your community? 0;)

Dear Nikita, if you speak about the pictures I posted, they are extracted from their website in Italy (I don't really remember in fact because I have them on my computer and I realise I should post them with the URL...). The sisters I think come from several communities for the vows... but it is my order for the moment!! :)

I hope I have answered to your question; excuse me if I did not, I come back from my retreat and I am a little lost, aha:). In the FSI, the fact is that we don't choose the community because the sisters move around the world, in the apostolic branch; in the contemplative one, they stay in their monastery of course, but I don't know if they can choose the convent before entering... the convent of Lanherne, in Cornwall (UK) is my favourite one though!! Please pray for the sisters: an association is fundraising in order to give them money to buy their convent (the Carmelites who owned it want to sell it now...); I think that the association has collected the half of the price now... it is a good point! :)

• 4 weeks later...
ToJesusMyHeart

Just thought I'd share some Christmas traditions of this Order, in case Rosa Immaculata or anybody else is interested!

In the convent, they have been doing a special Lent to prepare for the great Solemnity. Saint Francis especially loved Christmas so he would start fasting from November 1st until Christmas Day. They also spend that time making extra sacrifices like fasting at breakfast and dinner (eating a little less than they usually do) eating dinner in silence, and praying an extra Rosary after dinner. It really is a great way to prepare and when Christmas Day comes around, one can really enjoy oneself much more. They had fun decorating the convent, especially with putting out their Nativity scenes. They have one in the Chapel, underneath the altar, one in the refectory, and another in the library so there are plenty of opportunities to meditate on this extraordinary mystery. They leave them (the Nativity scenes) all up until February 2nd, because before the 2nd Vatican Council, Christmastide lasted from Christmas Eve until February 2nd as it followed the Gospel. The presentation of the Lord in the Temple took place forty days after the birth of Christ. Dec 25 - Feb 2 is 40 days. From Christmas Day until January 6th, the nuns and friars like to play "Tombola", an Italian version of Bingo. And on January 6th, they'll have their annual house blessing with the Child Jesus who will be carried around the corridors in procession. They'll also have the extraction of their "Protector Saints" that day. It is another Franciscan tradition that on January 6th, the three kings bring 5 "Protector Saints" (drawn out of a hat) who will look after you for the forthcoming year. Kind of like how Lil' Red did for us who wanted patron saints! :)

Anyway, just wanted to share in case anybody was interested. :) Hope you have a not too hectic preparation for Christmas ahead of you this week!

Rosa immaculata
Just thought I'd share some Christmas traditions of this Order, in case Rosa Immaculata or anybody else is interested!

In the convent, they have been doing a special Lent to prepare for the great Solemnity. Saint Francis especially loved Christmas so he would start fasting from November 1st until Christmas Day. They also spend that time making extra sacrifices like fasting at breakfast and dinner (eating a little less than they usually do) eating dinner in silence, and praying an extra Rosary after dinner. It really is a great way to prepare and when Christmas Day comes around, one can really enjoy oneself much more. They had fun decorating the convent, especially with putting out their Nativity scenes. They have one in the Chapel, underneath the altar, one in the refectory, and another in the library so there are plenty of opportunities to meditate on this extraordinary mystery. They leave them (the Nativity scenes) all up until February 2nd, because before the 2nd Vatican Council, Christmastide lasted from Christmas Eve until February 2nd as it followed the Gospel. The presentation of the Lord in the Temple took place forty days after the birth of Christ. Dec 25 - Feb 2 is 40 days. From Christmas Day until January 6th, the nuns and friars like to play "Tombola", an Italian version of Bingo. And on January 6th, they'll have their annual house blessing with the Child Jesus who will be carried around the corridors in procession. They'll also have the extraction of their "Protector Saints" that day. It is another Franciscan tradition that on January 6th, the three kings bring 5 "Protector Saints" (drawn out of a hat) who will look after you for the forthcoming year. Kind of like how Lil' Red did for us who wanted patron saints! :)

Anyway, just wanted to share in case anybody was interested. :) Hope you have a not too hectic preparation for Christmas ahead of you this week!

Ave Maria!

thank you so much ToJesusmyHeart: what beautiful traditions!! ah, I really love love love these sisters!!! Did you go to see them finally (I saw that you intend to go to see them on the thread about the Franciscans of the Renewal, but perhaps I have not understood something...)?

Holy Chrismas! He is coming: so joyful! I discovered that the Franciscans in general have a strong devotion to the Little Jesus in the crib, and in the Crucified Jesus: very good balance, and both mysteries are sublime!

When St Francis have caught your heart, hum, difficult to escape, and you do not want to! :)

ToJesusMyHeart
Ave Maria!

thank you so much ToJesusmyHeart: what beautiful traditions!! ah, I really love love love these sisters!!! Did you go to see them finally (I saw that you intend to go to see them on the thread about the Franciscans of the Renewal, but perhaps I have not understood something...)?

Holy Chrismas! He is coming: so joyful! I discovered that the Franciscans in general have a strong devotion to the Little Jesus in the crib, and in the Crucified Jesus: very good balance, and both mysteries are sublime!

When St Francis have caught your heart, hum, difficult to escape, and you do not want to! :)

No, I haven't been able to afford a airplane ticket yet; but I hope to visit them as soon as financially feasible! 

I also love the devotions that Franciscans have to the infant Jesus and to the crucified Christ.  :like2:

Rosa immaculata
No, I haven't been able to afford a airplane ticket yet; but I hope to visit them as soon as financially feasible! 

I also love the devotions that Franciscans have to the infant Jesus and to the crucified Christ.  :like2:

Ave Maria!

No pb to share my experience with you, but I also miss time and money ... but God will provide in His time! and sorry for the double question! :)

• 8 years later...

Viva Cristo Rey 

I don’t know where to start but I want to ask, if how do you really know that God is calling you into religious vocation? I know in my heart that I am called to a religious life but there’s this things that I’m attached to that I don’t know.. it’s just that I’m thinking about my family and it’s very hard, at the very first stages of discerning I taught it was very easy to let go of the things that I’m attached to but as I move forward.. that’s the time I’m questioning myself.. I want to visit a monastery but this pandemic, and I’m choosing between discalced carmelite and Franciscan sisters of the immaculate. I’ve watched many religious vocation docu but now I’m a bit scared... I can’t explain it in words. 

Keep safe stay healthy and God bless 

-Rosalinda from Philippines 

I believe there are various communities in the Philippines. To see an old thread resurrected always catches my eye - but there are Franciscans in the Philippines.  For example, I used to know two Sisters (in Italy) who were going to the missions in the Philippines some years ago, from the Franciscan Missionary Sisters of the Infant Jesus (I think they remain 'traditional' sorts.) 

St. Francis Delegation
Philippines [E-1997],
#26 Kanlaon St., 1114 Quezon City
Tel. (02) 8254-6434
Fax: (02) 8742-8776
Email: fmij_sfd@yahoo.com