An Old School Catholic Message Board

You Know You Are A Future Nun Part 2

ChristinaTherese

domenica_therese

When you skip Spring Formal and have an epic movie night with your other discerning friends instead.  :proud: 

Funny things happen when select people know you're super-seriously discerning, but no one else does. I was standing at the Cap Bar (coffee place on campus) and a really close friend of mine walked up with a guy with whom she had been studying Accounting. So as I waited for my caffeine we fell into the typical academic small-talk, and I started talking to her about how stressful the end of the semester was going to be. I was talking about my upcoming comprehensive exams, and how I thought I could probably pass them even if I didn't study history at all and failed that section of comps, but that would be somewhat lacking in academic integrity, so I wanted to high-pass if possible. Then I paused and said "Though, it's not like anyone is going to care how I do on comps after graduation." For a moment she was all like "Wait, what? Of course they do!" And then "Oh..." because she realized what I really meant, and then she started cracking up. The guy standing there was so confused about what was going on.  :hehe2:

Edited by domenica_therese

Kayte Postle

When you tell someone you're discerning, and they say, "I'm not surprised. I suspected you'd been feeling that way for quite a while". :)

Had this happen to me for the first time last night. I was grabbing an overnight bag out of my apt, with a church friend in tow. After looking through my paintings/art stuffs she kindly asked "What are you doing with your degree?".  I replied, "Honestly nothing, I feel like I am called to religious life". She smiled and said, "That's what I was thinking, I could see you being a sister".

Best affirmation ever. At daily mass earlier in the day I off handedly lamented to Jesus that I had never had such a moment, and bam the Holy Spirit decided to give me an undeserved present that night.

:nun3:

Spem in alium

Had this happen to me for the first time last night. I was grabbing an overnight bag out of my apt, with a church friend in tow. After looking through my paintings/art stuffs she kindly asked "What are you doing with your degree?".  I replied, "Honestly nothing, I feel like I am called to religious life". She smiled and said, "That's what I was thinking, I could see you being a sister".

Best affirmation ever. At daily mass earlier in the day I off handedly lamented to Jesus that I had never had such a moment, and bam the Holy Spirit decided to give me an undeserved present that night.

:nun3:

It's wonderful, isn't it? :) An acquaintance asked me a couple of days ago what I'm planning to do after I graduate. I told her I'm discerning so am not sure, and she said something like: "Wow! That's wonderful! But so hard! I'll pray for you!" Such a blessing.

Crucesignata

When you know who the NM and VD are (what the letters stand for)    :hehe:

Edited by Crucesignata

Crucesignata

Oh!  And when your worst nightmare is that you might not have a vocation to the religious life and scare yourself occasionally with the thought.

(Btw, I have been wanting to get a copy of the Liturgy of the Hours or of the Divine Office - is there a specific copy that anyone recommends in particular?)

TheresaThoma

I personally use Christian Prayer like this one here http://www.amazon.com/Christian-Prayer-The-Liturgy-Hours/dp/0899424066/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366948666&sr=8-1&keywords=christian+prayer

The one I own has a zippered case which is really nice. I stick all sorts of prayer cards inside of it. 

The actual Liturgy of the Hours is a four volume set, but for most people Christian Prayer works just fine. It has the morning and evening and night prayers. The St Joseph's guide can be really helpful to get you started but once you are familiar with the format and "rhythm" of the prayers you can figure things out on your own.

ToJesusMyHeart

When you tear up just reading this:

"A religious vocation is about being so filled with the love of Christ that only giving oneself totally and exclusively back to Him will suffice. It springs from a relationship of love with the Lord, who initiates a deep interior call that beckons, 'Come, follow Me.' He asks a person to allow themselves to be set apart, consecrated, that he or she might become an echo of His life on earth. With the call comes a mission, a specific participation in Christ’s redemptive mission."

I bought a Universalis licence. It allows me to create e-books of the Office which I can then load onto my e-reader and use. It also makes travel a lot easier as I don't have heavy books to carry.

It was also an awful lot cheaper than buying a four-volume set.

Works for me. ;)

Edited by Lil'Nun

HopefulBride

"A religious vocation is about being so filled with the love of Christ that only giving oneself totally and exclusively back to Him will suffice. It springs from a relationship of love with the Lord, who initiates a deep interior call that beckons, 'Come, follow Me.' He asks a person to allow themselves to be set apart, consecrated, that he or she might become an echo of His life on earth. With the call comes a mission, a specific participation in Christ’s redemptive mission."

m

Who is the author?

Spem in alium

I love it too :) From the Sisters of Life website?

Edited by Spem in alium