An Old School Catholic Message Board

Saints And Religious Life And Family's Reactions

MarysLittleFlower

MarysLittleFlower

I see that many here are struggling with either telling their families, or their family's reactions, etc...

I thought it might be an idea to have a thread where we can talk about Saints who went through similar situations, and how they dealt with it...

Does anyone know about such Saints? :)

I think Bl Elizabeth of the Trinity - her mother didn't want her to enter for a while, and she really suffered because of this... I also read about how St Margaret Mary struggled with this, and St Teresa of Avila ? and St Clare... Sr Josefa Menendez (her book is "Way of Divine Love") - struggled with leaving her mother as well...

there is also St Francis, St Catherine of Siena and St Rose of Lima (they were both Dominican Tertiaries who took a vow of virginity at a young age, but their families wanted them to marry).

I thought it might be encouraging that Saints through the ages have struggled with these same difficulties but ultimately things worked out :)

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

VeniJesuAmorMi

St. Teresa of the Andes. Her book of Letters is so very good. Her family had a difficult time with her wanting to enter, and even while she was in Carmel. She loved her family dearly, but she knew what was in her heart and she remained faithful.