An Old School Catholic Message Board

Traditional Churches In The Diocese Of Austin, Tx

ToJesusMyHeart

Question: Are SSPX sacraments valid? 

The Mass certainly is. There is debate about the status of their confessions since their priests are suspended and do not have faculties within the diocese they operate out of. But it's a very nuanced debate that I frankly do not have the energy to even think about right now. :smile3:

ToJesusMyHeart

The Mass certainly is. There is debate about the status of their confessions since their priests are suspended and do not have faculties within the diocese they operate out of. But it's a very nuanced debate that I frankly do not have the energy to even think about right now. :smile3:

So they can perform transubstantiation?

ToJesusMyHeart

The Cathedral is a beautiful church!! They recently remodeled the outside of it because it's so old and it's quite beautiful. Inside it has many of the traditional church statues and design, but it's simple and not over the top which I like in churches.

I must warn you though, parking around the Cathedral can be a challenge. Be prepared to drive around for a bit to find a spot. But it's worth it, and it's close to the Capitol Building if you want to check that out as well. :)

Thank you for the advice!  :smile4:

I'll just put this here.  This is from 2009, but these things still haven't been worked out.  

The fact that the Society of Saint Pius X does not possess a canonical status in the Church is not, in the end, based on disciplinary but on doctrinal reasons. As long as the Society does not have a canonical status in the Church, its ministers do not exercise legitimate ministries in the Church.

-Pope Benedict XVI 

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/letters/2009/documents/hf_ben-xvi_let_20090310_remissione-scomunica_en.html

I'll just put this here.  This is from 2009, but these things still haven't been worked out.  

-Pope Benedict XVI 

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/letters/2009/documents/hf_ben-xvi_let_20090310_remissione-scomunica_en.html

Yes, this remains the state of affairs.

It should be pointed out though that simply attending a Society Mass is not in and of itself sinful, and it does satisfy one's Sunday obligation.

Yes, this remains the state of affairs.

It should be pointed out though that simply attending a Society Mass is not in and of itself sinful, and it does satisfy one's Sunday obligation.

I would respond in saying that it is also not sinful and fulfills one's obligation to go to the Saturday vigil mass. Neither of these are recommended practices.

Also, double check that location. You would really want to go to mass at an airport hotel?

I would respond in saying that it is also not sinful and fulfills one's obligation to go to the Saturday vigil mass. Neither of these are recommended practices.

Also, double check that location. You would really want to go to mass at an airport hotel?

Agreed on both counts.

ToJesusMyHeart

I wasn't planning on attending the SSPX mass in the first place, but thanks for the heads up. :)

I'm likely going to check out the Austin Cathedral and Our Lady of Walsingham in Houston.  :like:

• 6 years later...

I have a suggestion. Ask the bishop to form a “personal parish” dedicated to using the Tridentine Latin Mass. The bishop of Fort Worth and of Madison, WI have done that. In addition as people become more aquatinted with the mass, other parishes will begging to say the TLM mass at least on some small schedule. If are ever at St Benedict in Fort Worth, they have a daily TLM mass and another on Sunday. This will ensure that the mass or parish is in communion with Rome.